Elk Mushroom and Swiss Sheboygan Brats

shannerdrake

Ever since I gave into the positive thoughts and bought a vertical stuffer, I’ve been looking forward to trying my hand at a natural cased fresh sausage.

I have a lot of ground elk and I had some nice fatty pork in the freezer. After finally ordering some natural casings, I decided it was time to stop thinking about it and just do it.

Hank Shaw’s Sheboygan Brat recipe was the jumping off point (Google search for recipe). I put the ratios in a spread sheet so I could easily adjust on the fly. There were also some home dehydrated mushrooms in the pantry from earlier in the year. All that was left was buying some Swiss cheese. I splurged onIMG_7960.jpegIMG_7961.jpegIMG_7964.jpegIMG_7993.jpegIMG_7998.jpeg a nice aged European variety. Cubed it up, then let it air dry in the fridge for a couple days (all that increases the melting point which is nice for a hot sausage).

Final product had 6lb of elk, 4lb of pork, 3c of dehydrated mushrooms, and 1lb of cubed cheese.

After two days chilling in the fridge I tossed a couple on the smoker since I already had it rolling smoke.

Man, next level good! I had an internal debate of when the meat ratio reaches a point I can’t call them elk. I decided that since I was still more than half elk, I can still call them “elk brats.”

Wife loved them which is a huge plus. After all the packaging was done, 10lb of vac sealed sausages went in the freezer.

In already thinking on the next experiment.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back