Lots of Links

BucksnDucks

Over the last two weeks the home sausage factory was in full swing. I tried a few new things like cutting with brisket trimmings and a couple new blends. It was a pretty serious undertaking and some days felt like work, 8 plus hours. The results are quite pleasing.
First week was hanging and cutting an elk. Packaged the steaks (don't forget the flat irons) and a couple roasts. 20221018_115057.jpgFor the sausage I cut with pork fat and some wild boar I had in freezer. I used brisket trimmings for the burger, which I highly recommend. After adding the fat and grinding I had 87 lbs. to work with.20221019_145445.jpg I used a couple Hank Shaw recipes; Hmong style is a favorite.20221020_115822.jpg
Other varieties:
  • Jalepeno cheddar
  • Chile Lime
  • Polish
  • Swiss
  • Cheesy Polish
  • Chimmichurri
  • Fresh Pepper, cilanto and garlic (just winging this one-came out great)
Right about the time I finished up a buddy killed a deer and wanted in on the action. Just finished his deer today with 60 lbs of Jalepeno Cheddar, Sweet and Hot Italian
20221105_142316.jpg20221021_091931.jpg
Freezers are full and it's time to chase birds.

How are the chili lime? Never heard of anyone making that flavor sausage but it’s a good flavor on everything else I’ve had.

How are the chili lime? Never heard of anyone making that flavor sausage but it’s a good flavor on everything else I’ve had.
First time making this one. I used chile lime dry spice with shishito peppers, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Kinda similar to the Hank Shaw Hmong recipe. I kept it bulk and brown it like burger and eat with ramen type noodles or over rice. Definitely a good fresh flavor. A local butcher sells chile lime links which are fantastic but I couldn't get the spice mixture from him.

I have some fatty pork in the freezer for maple breakfast and breakfast to make with my moose burger. Then it's Italian and chorizo. I have a kit for brats, but don't know if I feel like screwing with casings right now.
It's a fun endeavor but man it takes alot of time. I suggest grinding and mixing one day letting sit overnight then stuff the casings. I'm still learning after a couple decades of doing this. Breakfast sausage is great and IMO best if left in bulk.
I'm guessing you're sitting on quite a bit of meat right about now. Gongrats on moose BTW

It's a fun endeavor but man it takes alot of time. I suggest grinding and mixing one day letting sit overnight then stuff the casings. I'm still learning after a couple decades of doing this. Breakfast sausage is great and IMO best if left in bulk.
I'm guessing you're sitting on quite a bit of meat right about now. Gongrats on moose BTW
You have way more experience at it than I do but that’s also how I do it now.
It’s best to have a few freezers and refrigerators or a walk in if you’re serious about it.

I’m making more and more sausage each season, burger gets boring.

First time making this one. I used chile lime dry spice with shishito peppers, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Kinda similar to the Hank Shaw Hmong recipe. I kept it bulk and brown it like burger and eat with ramen type noodles or over rice. Definitely a good fresh flavor. A local butcher sells chile lime links which are fantastic but I couldn't get the spice mixture from him.
Bribe the butcher with your links, they sure look good.

What spice mixture did you use for sweet and spicy Italian? That's my favorite.

Bribe the butcher with your links, they sure look good.

What spice mixture did you use for sweet and spicy Italian? That's my favorite.
For the Italian I used Hank Shaw's basic recipe with a couple additions like fresh parsley and crushed Thai Chiles-

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back