Caribou Gear Tarp

Elk camps

wytex

Let's see some elk camp set ups. It may help some out of stater's see how we do it.

Attachments

• DSCN0512.jpg
    DSCN0512.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,486
It is an old logging LZ. We cleared the standing dead a few years back for safety. We are only about 200 yds from the creek across the road. Had elk tracks 150 from camp after the snow. 9'400 ft elevation down where camp was.

Interested to see others camps. This is how us out of staters do it. Took a while to get to this point. 2 section wall tent with cook shack in the front and cots in the back. We close off the cook shack at night when we need to run heat.
20160831_124236.jpg
20160831_124254.jpg

This was our newest addition for this year. An on demand, LP water heater. A little over the top but very nice to have a hot shower when ever you want. This set up also requires a small gas water pump to run water from the creek.
Screenshot_20160927-083339.jpg

WOWZERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna hunt with YOU guys!!!! I'd even volunteer to "apprentice" as a sherpa with no tag for a few years!!! :)

Is that a tent for people who sleep standing up?:rolleyes:

Ha Ha!! No, but when you have an unlimited supply of hot water it would be easy to fall asleep standing. I made a lot of fun of my buddy for insisting on bringing this thing. But it was nice. Would I buy it? No. But I have all boys and we don't need such stuff. My buddy is the only man in a house full of girls and does what he has to do to get his family out in the woods.

I'll be the first to admit, we may have gone a little overboard.... ;) We've been known to bake fresh pies in the propane oven once in a while. To say we're "roughing it" might be an exaggeration. Sure is nice to have some comfort though after hiking mountains all day.

400832_715439207166_842663763_n.jpgTable.jpg
bedroom.jpgkitchen.jpgsaddles.jpggear.jpg

Last edited:
Depends where the elk are at. Both of our camps include separate sleeping quarters and cooking quarters. One is a little more comfy than the other. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,296
I love to see threads like this one they always give me a new idea about how to set our camp up. Thanks for sharing!

r0SpfFJl.jpg

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

elk camp 2012

we have quite a setup, two tents end to end with an awning, one tent is the sleep tent and the other is the living area and under the awning is the cook area unless the weather is badElk Hunts  2012 022.jpg

I'm getting too old and soft for tent camping. Even the most comfortable cot is no match for my mattress covered buy a four inch memory foam pad. So we only use our travel trailer anymore.
It's hard to beat indoor toilets, hot and cold running water, warm dry soft beds, a furnace when it's freezing outside and A/C during summer antelope hunts.
Although it does mean working a little harder to get to where the game is because we have to camp in trailer accessable areas. At the end of the day if hunts are not enjoyable I don't think we would do them much.http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• DSCN0944.jpg
    DSCN0944.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,305
My group will be setting up our first diy elk camp in about 3 weeks. I love this kind of thread. Keep em coming

Hey there mplane72. Is this camp in Colorado unit 444? it looks an awful lot like the camp set up next to us last year near Last Chance Creek.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back