Elk Caliber for Small-Framed Female

I know a lot of people will roll eyes... But the Creedmoore rounds are pretty light kickers. The latest craze shows that caliber is not going away.
Nobody will roll their eyes as long as you add that totally un-hip "e" to the end of "Creedmoor".

Does Savage still make the "Lady Hunter"? Their new lightweight is are they (aptly named) Lightweight Hunter and Lightweight Storm.

Just got my daughter a Lightweight Storm in .308 and she loves it. Adjustable length-of-pull (but not comb height). Or are you big on the wood stock?

i try to stay away from muzzle breaks. we still value our pretty decent hearing lol
I understand muzzle brakes are not for everybody, but it is the best device to mitigate felt recoil and muzzle rise. With or without muzzle brake, "IF" you truly care about taking care of your hearing, wear protection. There are plenty of effective ear protections, from a few pennies foam types to a few hundred dollars electronic hearing protection devices.

I understand muzzle brakes are not for everybody, but it is the best device to mitigate felt recoil and muzzle rise. With or without muzzle brake, "IF" you truly care about taking care of your hearing, wear protection. There are plenty of effective ear protections, from a few pennies foam types to a few hundred dollars electronic hearing protection devices.
It amazes me how few people at hunting camp use hearing protection OR safety harnesses. I've gotten crap for both.

Does Savage still make the "Lady Hunter"? Their new lightweight is are they (aptly named) Lightweight Hunter and Lightweight Storm.

Just got my daughter a Lightweight Storm in .308 and she loves it. Adjustable length-of-pull (but not comb height). Or are you big on the wood stock?
she really loves the look of wood stocks.

Nobody will roll their eyes as long as you add that totally un-hip "e" to the end of "Creedmoor".
i'll still roll my eyes a little. I'm starting to cringe now anytime someone talks about the awesomeness of the 6.5 creedmore. especially guys who know very little about shooting

safety harnesses for tree stands?
Yep. My favorite bear camp has almost exclusively tree stands. In 2016 I was assigned the highest tree stand solely because I was the only hunter (out of about 12) who brought a safety harness. I was also one of two hunters who used hearing protection in the stand, even though most had brought some for the rifle sighting.

It amazes me how few people at hunting camp use hearing protection OR safety harnesses. I've gotten crap for both.
Agreed! I spent my first 10 years in the USAF working with F-4s and A-10s where noise levels during aircraft generations are 140+ dBs 12-14 hour days. At the time, we wear foamies and earmuffs. It protected me throughout the years. I am one of those people that wear ear, eye, foot, and hand PPEs when mowing and operating high powered tools.

Agreed! I spent my first 10 years in the USAF working with F-4s and A-10s where noise levels during aircraft generations are 140+ dBs 12-14 hour days. At the time, we wear foamies and earmuffs. It protected me throughout the years. I am one of those people that wear ear, eye, foot, and hand PPEs when mowing and operating high powered tools.
I LOVE footage of the A-10. Haven't seen one live yet.

Yep. My favorite bear camp has almost exclusively tree stands. In 2016 I was assigned the highest tree stand solely because I was the only hunter (out of about 12) who brought a safety harness. I was also one of two hunters who used hearing protection in the stand, even though most had brought some for the rifle sighting.
haha that's what I assumed you meant. we use fixed ladder tree stands in PA on our properly and they come with a strapped harness system.

Joining in late here, but my wife would vote for her TC in 7mm-08. She loves to shoot it, nice tight groups. And kicks way less than her .54 muzzleloader.

My wife has a Weatherby Mark V Camilla ultralight 270 and a Camilla Vanguard 7mm-07, Oldest daughter has a Savage Lady hunter 270. The MKV is better in every way other than price. I think the Vanguard looks better than the Savage, the wood they use on that is very nice. If you are planning on using factory ammo right now, I would suggest a more readily available cartridge.

Over the last few months I have been able to find 308 and 270 easily enough. 7mm-08 is just about nonexistent as is most of the reduced recoil stuff in any caliber. 6.5 CM would be up there with the 308 but not as many hunting options compared to the match stuff. Unless you want to pay the GB inflated prices....

Browning micro x bolt or micro A-bolt II if you can find one. As far as caliber .270, 7-08, skip the 6.5 and go .260 rem.
My wife shoots a x bolt micro midas in 308 with 150 grain accubonds. Its done great on elk and comes threaded with both a muzzle break and a thread protector. Pretty wide range of calibers to choose from too

Just so you know what the fuel costs for those rounded shoulders & the name.

My .257 Weatherby Mag just makes me smile every time I shoot it, and even more-so when I hunt with it. You can’t put a price on fun.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back