Elk Caliber for Small-Framed Female

matechakeric

I want to get my wife a rifle for deer and elk. We are planning to hunt out west once a year starting next year. She's 5'5 115. I'm looking for a good caliber that won't have too much recoil but will pack enough punch for elk. I'm leaning towards a .308 Winchester but am open to other calibers

Interesting. She has her eye on the Savage Lady Hunter at the moment. do you think the Camila is better?
Yes, I bought the savage for my wife and it fits her nice but the finish is very rough. The bolt knob hurts your hand to cycle it. If I had to do it over it would be the Cammila all day long.

Interesting. She has her eye on the Savage Lady Hunter at the moment. do you think the Camila is better?
My wife has one of each. Savage in 308 and Camilla in 7mm08. Both shoot very well and fit her well. I think the Camilla is a tad nicer finish wise. If you can, have her handle both and see which she prefers. Fwiw, 7mm08 would fit the bill nicely, IMO.

7mm o8, 6.5 cm, 308. In that order.
I would get a gun that weights 7-8# and that will help alot with recoil.
yep. she loves the walnut finishes on rifles which handle recoil better but are heavier. I'd rather get her a slightly heavier weapon to better handle the recoil. If it gets too heavy for, I don't mind carrying it for miles in the mountains. we will only be getting one tag per western trip so i don't mind carrying the rifle if it's too heavy.

See thread from last week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back