Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk and Deer Hunting Idaho Unit 28

sparker4

My son, 13, and I are planning to hunt unit 28 in Idaho this fall. I have been pouring over the maps, talking to biologist, FS rangers, etc. We are planning to hunt to the north of Haystack Mt. I am curious about the weather temperatures up there at 8,500 feet that time of the year. We are planning to backpack in and as long as it is warmer than 15 degrees we will be ok, but below that is going to push the limits of our gear. Can anybody tell me what to expect?

Thanks for the help, Steve

Anything can happen in the Fall in Idaho. I wouldn't doubt that you could easily hit 15 degrees at that elevation on a clear night in October. However, Shoup or Salmon would rarely ever hit 15 degrees that time of year. If it's just your sleeping bag that can't go much below that, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll warm up in the morning once you start walking! Seriously - I think you could watch the weather and adjust as necessary, but I would go ahead with your plans. The rangers and game wardens could probably answer this question as well.

Have you considered a floorless shelter with a packable stove? Does wonders for comfort.

I hunt in another unit that is similar in elevation last year, a week later than you have planned, it was 30-40 degrees from sunrise too sun set, got down in the twentys at night, you should be ok but watch the forecast close when the time comes, pretty much the same thing I posted in your deer thread..... PM me if you have any questions,
Matt

Perfect thanks for the help. When you say Google, Google what? There aren't temperature stations up there, do you have a trick?

I was over in 30A Idaho last november and it was pretty cold,,,close to 0 f at nite,so ya never know how quick it can change at 9000 ft,,,some days wernt too bad and others were pretty rough.spent nearly 2 weeks chasing elk there with my muzz.

Dan,

Ya that is what I am concerned about. If you go off of the rough rule of thumb of 3-4 degrees per 1000 feet with the average lows in Salmon at 4,000 feet being 25 degrees in mid October, that puts 8,500 at about 10 degrees. That rule of thumb doesn't always work though. If it's 10 degrees at night we will camp at a base camp and do a lot more walking, but if it is around 20 degrees we can do some backpacking and less walking. I guess we will just prepare for both and take it as it comes. Thank you for the feedback!

Dan,

Ya that is what I am concerned about. If you go off of the rough rule of thumb of 3-4 degrees per 1000 feet with the average lows in Salmon at 4,000 feet being 25 degrees in mid October, that puts 8,500 at about 10 degrees. That rule of thumb doesn't always work though. If it's 10 degrees at night we will camp at a base camp and do a lot more walking, but if it is around 20 degrees we can do some backpacking and less walking. I guess we will just prepare for both and take it as it comes. Thank you for the feedback!
Keep in mind how we get "average" temps in the mountains.
For example, you take one day that's 60° for a low then the next day that's 0° and you get an average of 30°. So guys, prepare for worst case scenario of 0 and stay happy.

Keep in mind how we get "average" temps in the mountains.
For example, you take one day that's 60° for a low then the next day that's 0° and you get an average of 30°. So guys, prepare for worst case scenario of 0 and stay happy.

+1 elkmagnet

This thread is kind of ridiculous. It's the mountains, 8000 feet, fall, in Idaho. If you want a 3 degree guarantee, watch Vin Crosby the week before your hunt. Just be ready to pack up and head to another state to hunt if it ends up being 14 degrees overnight instead of 15.

Back