Unit 16C Logistics for 2023 elk hunt

Rzrbk

My 10yo son drew his first choice elk tag for unit 16c youth modern gun. We plan on going on a scout trip over the next couple of weekends. I've been e-scouting to identify areas that aren't as steep and/or we can hunt uphill since there are just the two of us.

I'm mainly hoping some of you familiar with the unit can advise me on gas stations, ice, supplies located within the unit. My maps don't indicate any obvious locations where you can re-supply for ice/gas and such. We're also interested in that awesome "off-the-grid" camp location if any of you have tips (PM me). I've seen several undeveloped campgrounds on OnX that look ok but thought some of you might know of that sweet little campsite that makes any trip a better trip.

I figure elk move around and we plan on making another scouting trip during late archery to visit with hunters and get a feel for the current situation just before season.

So, I'm not necessarily looking for elk advice (although I wouldn't turn it down) as much as I'm wondering about gas stations, campsite kind of info.

The lucky guy also drew his first choice antelope in a unit I know backwards and forward and so it's nice that my past investments of scouting/hunting will pay off. Thanks. Rzrbk

I believe there's a small store in Winston, otherwise you're looking at Truth or Consequences for supplies. T or C isn't exactly convenient for hunting 16C but there aren't many other options over there. No shortage of dispersed camping areas on USFS lands. Some Forest Service roads will be washed out from last summer's rains so scout them out before you make plans to access an area on them. Good luck.

I believe there's a small store in Winston, otherwise you're looking at Truth or Consequences for supplies. T or C isn't exactly convenient for hunting 16C but there aren't many other options over there. No shortage of dispersed camping areas on USFS lands. Some Forest Service roads will be washed out from last summer's rains so scout them out before you make plans to access an area on them. Good luck.
Winston store has mostly everything you’d need in terms of gas, ice, water (and showers, which are great). It’s ~45min from middle of the unit. For anything more complicated,as Kaitum says, TorC is another 45m past Winston, has a Walmart, etc.

dispersed Camping will not be an issue. When you’ve arrived at plans A,B,C, etc, pick a spot that’s roughly in between them.

my main advice from 2 hunts in 16C is if you have access to a 4 wheeler or SxS, it’s well worth the avoidance of pounding on your normal vehicle. There are tons of roads, but most are already in rough shape and if it rains or snows, it gets very dicey very fast.

After the fire last year, scouting will be hyper important.

good luck! It’s a great area.

Thanks. I've hunted 21B in the past and so was familiar with Winston store. I was hoping there was a gas station/ice more centrally located but 45 minutes is a lot closer than I imagined Winston to be from the middle of 16C. But it's good to know up front that Winston is likely the closest source. We have ebikes to use on rough FS roads.

I drew the season right after your sons. Will share anything I find out. Fire is burning in the middle of that unit right now. Just curious where you are from.

My 10yo son drew his first choice elk tag for unit 16c youth modern gun. We plan on going on a scout trip over the next couple of weekends. I've been e-scouting to identify areas that aren't as steep and/or we can hunt uphill since there are just the two of us.

I'm mainly hoping some of you familiar with the unit can advise me on gas stations, ice, supplies located within the unit. My maps don't indicate any obvious locations where you can re-supply for ice/gas and such. We're also interested in that awesome "off-the-grid" camp location if any of you have tips (PM me). I've seen several undeveloped campgrounds on OnX that look ok but thought some of you might know of that sweet little campsite that makes any trip a better trip.

I figure elk move around and we plan on making another scouting trip during late archery to visit with hunters and get a feel for the current situation just before season.

So, I'm not necessarily looking for elk advice (although I wouldn't turn it down) as much as I'm wondering about gas stations, campsite kind of info.

The lucky guy also drew his first choice antelope in a unit I know backwards and forward and so it's nice that my past investments of scouting/hunting will pay off. Thanks. Rzrbk
Interested in how your hunt goes, as I’m looking to apply for the same youth tag for my son next year.

I drew the season right after your sons. Will share anything I find out. Fire is burning in the middle of that unit right now. Just curious where you are from.
We scouted the unit this past Sat/Sunday and drove through the area that was burning. It was low intensity with FS folks letting the fire move through the system. FS has done an excellent job of utilizing fire in the unit. Most of the area looks like a park with beautiful open woods. We saw a few bunches of elk and have a general plan according to what looked best. It's good to know that there are only 25 tag holders total for our hunt dates, with all of them being youth hunters having either sex tags. We need one that holds a pose for about 15 seconds within 200 yards while my 10yo gets on target. He also drew a quality rifle either sex antelope hunt and so this could be his big year. He would become legend with photos of antelope and elk at age 10. Keep in touch and we can let you know conditions when we finish our hunt.

I grew up a little south of Ft Smith Arkansas but call NW Arkansas home where we have property/farm in Madison County near Huntsville/White River. Graduated from Razorback University in Fayetteville. I go back to Arkansas several times/year to duck/deer hunt and visit family and I hope to spend lots more time there in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back