Caribou Gear Tarp

Electric Fence for Bears

StHubert

We are going hunting for a reduced cow/calf tag in Wyoming unit 61. We are planning on bringing a portable electric fence to put around our camp. Does anyone have any experience with this and does it work?
Thanks,
Steve

Yep, quite a bit of experience with electric fences in bear country (all in Alaska). I've used them for work in SW AK in high brown bear density areas and on hunts in the Brooks Range. Best advice I can give is the fences are a great tool but they're not an excuse to disregard other standard precautions for camping in bear country. Keep a clean camp, store food properly, etc. Generally, I'll set the fence up around the tent, raft, gear and keep it that way until I harvest something and have meat back at camp. Then I'll make a meat cache some distance from camp in the open and put the fence around the meat.

I used the UDAP bear fence for 8 days in SE Alaska this season. Quick and easy set up, and 2 D batteries lasted the entire time.

It's important to make sure no grass or limbs are hitting the string.

I used the UDAP bear fence for 8 days in SE Alaska this season. Quick and easy set up, and 2 D batteries lasted the entire time.

It's important to make sure no grass or limbs are hitting the string.

I can attest the UDAP system is very nice. Its very compact and about half the weight of the system I built. My charger runs on 4 D batteries and there is a big weight difference. The pro being my charger has a much higher Joule rating, thus it provides lots of 'zap.'

Good advice on vegetation clearance around the fence. Also, depending on what type of substrate you're inserting the grounding rod into will affect the set-up. Meadows or tundra, you're good to go. Dry, sandy soil or rocky gravel bars, you may need to use a second grounding rod just as added insurance.

Good luck!

Meadows or tundra, you're good to go. Dry, sandy soil or rocky gravel bars, you may need to use a second grounding rod just as added insurance.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thanks for that.

Herbert, listen to these guys. We have only had the blackies tear up our camp. Bio guy in Idaho told us a good thing to do is leave an old radio on over night at a low volume just so they can hear the noise. We usually leave a rap station on. Five years and no coolers torn up or meat at the meat pole. JMHO.

Herbert, listen to these guys. We have only had the blackies tear up our camp. Bio guy in Idaho told us a good thing to do is leave an old radio on over night at a low volume just so they can hear the noise. We usually leave a rap station on. Five years and no coolers torn up or meat at the meat pole. JMHO.

Larry, that wouldn't work for me; I despise RAP so much I'd never get to sleep.

Thanks, does Vanilla Ice or LL Cool J work best for rap. hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back