Electric Bicycles?

----

Does anyone know much about these, or how they're possibly considered legal in non-motorized areas?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/electric/mountain/outfitter.aspx

felt%20bike_zpsr7erfwb6.jpg

http://www.electricbike-expo.com/exhibitors/felt-electric/

Through design and engineering, we placed the motor low and centered in the frame. This placement allows the award winning Bosch eDrive unit to operate in the most efficient revolution window increasing its range. Felt eBikes are “pedal assist,” meaning boost is only provided when the rider pedals. Because of this feature, Felt eBikes are street legal almost everywhere bicycles are.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fight-to-ride-electric-mountain-bikes-on-the-trail-1411599454

I think they are still considered non-motorized due to the fact that the electric engine is only a "pedal assist" meaning that any benefit you get from it is when the rider is pedaling. I would imagine it would still take a pretty good effort from the rider there was a steep hill to get up. That bike looks nice though!

Seen some old guys on the bike trails with electric assistance. Pretty slick system and still silent. As far as being legal? Don't know what my feelings are.

Does anyone know much about these, or how they're possibly considered legal in non-motorized areas?

I thought even regular bicycles were prohibited in Federally Designated Wilderness Areas? If so, then those types of non-motorized areas would probably prohibit these. I guess it depends on the non-motorized area you are talking about. I'd guess different state and local designations would differ.

Last edited:
I wonder if the same folks that banned drones for hunting would pursue this?

$5k isn't too bad, several colleagues ride Seven bikes and they quickly touch 5 figures and you have to pedal yourself.
Anyone with good mechanic skills can build one for a lot less. They sell the E-bike parts for a reasonable price compared to that bike.

If it is not a stand alone motor, maybe it would be somehow exempt. But 5K for a bike? A rifle maybe, bike probly not. mtmuley

If it is not a stand alone motor, maybe it would be somehow exempt. But 5K for a bike? A rifle maybe, bike probly not. mtmuley

It's not any different then spending 5k for a camera with good glass. Just depends on what you're into and what parts are on that frame.

Anyone with good mechanic skills can build one for a lot less. They sell the E-bike parts for a reasonable price compared to that bike.

But will it work right? It takes a fair bit of bicycle maintenance experience to properly build and tune a bike. That bike isn't a dime store Schwinn.

Last edited:

Attach a 20v Dewalt and off ya go! :p

Interesting thought, Randy... Modern day Rokon. :)

Here are the BLM regs on "e-bikes" and also refers to the FS regs that defines "e-bikes" as motorized vehicles.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/re...ns/national_information/2015/IB_2015-060.html

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIORBUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT

Print Page

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20240
http://www.blm.gov

July 1, 2015

In Reply Refer To:

8340 (250) P

EMS TRANSMISSION 07/07/2015

Information Bulletin No. 2015-060

To: All Field Officials

Subject: Electronic Powered Bicycles on Public Lands

An electronic bicycle, also known as an e-bike, is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) classifies e-bikes as motorized vehicles, as defined at 43 CFR 8340.5 “(a) Off-road vehicle means any motorized vehicle capable of, or designed for, travel on or immediately over land, water, or other natural terrain, excluding: (1) any non-amphibious registered motorboat; (2) any military, fire, emergency, or law enforcement vehicle while being used for emergency purposes; (3) any vehicle whose use is expressly authorized by the authorized officer, or otherwise officially approved; (4) vehicles in official use; and (5) any combat or combat support vehicle when used in times of national defense emergencies.”

There is a great variety of e-bikes available and some can be used for mountain biking. Public interest in the use of e-bikes on Federal public lands is rising. As a transportation and recreation option, e-bikes represent an opportunity to reduce emissions, as they also appeal to a growing demographic with physical limitations to conventional bicycling. These factors contribute to a corresponding increase in interest and utilization on public lands. The BLM manages e-bikes similar to the U.S. Forest Service (FS). The FS manages e-bikes as a motor vehicle per their Travel Management Rule.

For more information or if you have questions about e-bikes, please contact Dennis Byrd., Outdoor Recreation Planner, Division of Recreation and Visitor Services (WO-250), at 202-912-7252 or by email at: [email protected].

Signed by: Authenticated by:

Michael H. Tupper Robert M. Williams

Deputy Assistant Director Division of IRM Governance,WO-860

Resources and Planning

Last updated: 08-13-2015

USA.GOV | No Fear Act | DOI | Disclaimer | About BLM | Notices | Social Media Policy
Privacy Policy | FOIA | Kids Policy | Contact Us | Accessibility | Site Map | Home

Attach a 20v Dewalt and off ya go! :p

Interesting thought, Randy... Modern day Rokon. :)

Here are the BLM regs on "e-bikes" and also refers to the FS regs that defines "e-bikes" as motorized vehicles.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/re...ns/national_information/2015/IB_2015-060.html

Huh, that sure seems pretty cut and dried. Not sure how the salesmen are getting away with saying they're legal in non-motorized areas.

Next they'll be schilling Mr. Garrison's IT. It's also self propelled, and you look about as cool riding it.

giphy%202_zpsrxc97rst.gif

I thought even regular bicycles were prohibited in Federally Designated Wilderness Areas? If so, then those types of non-motorized areas would probably prohibit these. I guess it depends on the non-motorized area you are talking about. I'd guess different state and local designations would differ.

I would venture to say they are not allowed in these areas. I have a friend who rode her bike from Canada to Mexico on the Divide trail, and there are parts that go through wilderness areas so they had to take a different rout because anything with wheels are prohibited. Includes gamecarts, bikes etc.

It's not any different then spending 5k for a camera with good glass. Just depends on what you're into and what parts are on that frame.

But will it work right? It takes a fair bit of bicycle maintenance experience to properly build and tune a bike. That bike isn't a dime store Schwinn.
Hence the good mechanical skills part. A bike of any kind is pretty basic compared to a motorcycle or automobile.

Seen some old guys on the bike trails with electric assistance. Pretty slick system and still silent. As far as being legal? Don't know what my feelings are.

Curious. Just what qualifies as "old guys"?

Hence the good mechanical skills part. A bike of any kind is pretty basic compared to a motorcycle or automobile.

Sure, I understand your basic philosophy but it's a little simplistic. I wouldn't let a great brain surgeon fix my knee even though they both went to med school. Just like you wouldn't let the guy down at the bike shop work on your car. And I sure wouldn't let the guy down at the ford garage do more than put air in my bike tires. Good mechanical skills are just the foundation, you still need specific knowledge and practical experience.

Curious. Just what qualifies as "old guys"?

Too old to keep up with young guys:D Or had heart surgery or knee and or hips replaced. That is usually the case for those I see on those bikes. It's also the only way I have seen them accepted by groups riding on designated MTB trails.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back