Easy question for you all....re: elk tag vs points

bigdonniebrasco

I got an email from Wyoming fish and game stating that Jan 31st was the last day to apply for an elk license. I assume if all I want to do this year is buy an elk POINT, that the deadline is much later in the year?

Thank you!!

Don

Thank you. I believe that is just $50(please correct me if I am wrong). Do you know any other good states that are not ridiculously expensive that I could buy points from.

I am young, and looking to play the long game. In 10-20 years I would like to use my points, but for the moment I am just looking to build credit with states and not break the budget when doing so.

I wouldn’t get in the points game. It’s like a Ponzi scheme now lol. The hunting industry mainly tag services sold everyone on it to the point really good tags are not realistic. Most hunters are better off focusing on their home state. Put all that point money in an investment and buy landowner tag in 10-20 years.

Thank you. I believe that is just $50(please correct me if I am wrong). Do you know any other good states that are not ridiculously expensive that I could buy points from.

I am young, and looking to play the long game. In 10-20 years I would like to use my points, but for the moment I am just looking to build credit with states and not break the budget when doing so.

OR

Invest $1000-$3000/year into an interest-bearing account and in 20 years start going on 1 great hunt/year that doesn't involve luck of the draw.

Looking back, I wish I could sell all my points and have that money back in an account building interest for the past 20 years. I would borderline be rich by now...
Plus, if something life changing happens at least you have something to show your family for your efforts instead of your points going to the gods...
After 20 years of applying, I still haven't drawn and hunted what I consider a "great tag".

I'm slowly catching the point creep, but it has taken a LONG time to even get close. There is no way would I be getting in on the points game on the ground floor today with the intentions of using those points in 20 years with the shenanigans that the agencies are up to these days.

Just being honest.

If you qualify as a youth they are cheaper. (If you are a youth don't say so on a public forum. Just check their website to see if you qualify.)

Colorado points are cheap in general but you must buy a hunting license to purchase points.

Finally Trap's advice is unfortunately worth considering. I personally won't advise against buying points completely but will offer two pieces of advice:

1. The amount of points needed to draw X tag today will almost certainly be higher by the time you get to that point level. I.e. a tag that takes 5 points in 2023 might take 10 in 2033, or it might take 15. It's hard to predict exactly but the only consistent trend is UP.

2. The cost of the tag you are aiming for will likely cost more by the time you get there as well.

What you envision as (10 points X 51 dollars) + x

Will be more like (15 x 51) + y, with y being greater than x.

Everyone has to make the choice for his or her self, and it's a moving target that gets more expensive over time.

I wouldn’t get in the points game. It’s like a Ponzi scheme now lol. The hunting industry mainly tag services sold everyone on it to the point really good tags are not realistic. Most hunters are better off focusing on their home state. Put all that point money in an investment and buy landowner tag in 10-20 years.

I disagree.

Since I don't live in a western state (Alabama), I went with the option of choosing an alternate 'home state' for licensing purposes. So, I sent my letter to WY declaring my identification as a Wyoming resident. This way, I no longer have to purchase a point and can enter the resident draw.

I disagree.

Since I don't live in a western state (Alabama), I went with the option of choosing an alternate 'home state' for licensing purposes. So, I sent my letter to WY declaring my identification as a Wyoming resident. This way, I no longer have to purchase a point and can enter the resident draw.
What? Pretty sure that is not how this works.

I disagree.

I too would like to identify as a WY resident. I mean....

Wouldn't it be fun if it could work that way?

QQ
I was thinking about this and it actually could be possible. All you need to do is join the active duty military. Purchase a PO Box in Wyoming before you enlist and use that address as your home of record address. You can join from anywhere in any state.

Now that WY is your HOR you can apply as a resident while you serve.

Now you won’t be able to actually hunt the tag because your serving but you can apply as a resident.

I read an article a while back about a guy that got busted for claiming false residency to obtain licenses and tags in Wyoming. He got something like a $10,000 fine for the crime of claiming he was a resident for 5-6 years. The irony of it is if I get a nonresident elk tag in the special draw from 2024-2028 I will have spent $10,000. So now the criminal is WYFG? Hahah I’m kidding… ish. I believe the perp got slapped with a lot more than just a fine, so he still came out on the losing end of the gamble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back