Caribou Gear Tarp

Eastern Montana opening weekend

leadingedge

Well its about time for the show to get on the road. My dad, myself and a long time hunting buddy are headed out to eastern MT tonight for the weekend. Been so busy with work that I haven't been out yet this year, but that all ends tomorrow. Buddy and I both have ant. buck tags, a pocket full of deer and antelope doe tags, plus our buck deer tags. So the rifle barrels should be hot:) I will check in and post some pics as the weekend progresses. Good luck to all other hunters hitting the field this weekend, be safe, have fun, remember the memories will last a lifetime.

Till tomorrow.....

I'm sure it will be as fun as always. It'll be interesting to see how the saturday opener affects the check station numbers.

I'm a little bummed though, because now I can't play "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on my way to the parking spot.

Best of luck. It will nice to see something other than a 7 plate headed this direction.:D

Per Wikipedia:

The Midwestern United States (in the U.S. generally referred to as the Midwest) is one of the four geographic regions within the United States of America used by the United States Census Bureau in its reporting.

The region consists of twelve states in the north-central United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

One down, more to go....

Cliff connected on a nice lope buck this evening, his biggest to date. Will post pics later. Saw a few nice muley bucks, one that will need closer look in the morning. Found him nearly at dark from a long ways away through the spotter, looked like a big frame, couldn't tell much else and no time to get closer. Good luck tomorrow boys and girls
Later.

the rest of the story

sorry for not updating sooner, don't have Big Fins tech. So after getting Cliff's buck taken care of we got ready for the next day. We were up were we wanted to be set up to look for the big framed M.D. buck we saw the night before, well before daylight. Never saw him but saw several other decent bucks, but nothing to get excited about on onpening day. So we took off for another drainage that we had wanted to work and hunted our way through it only to come up a bunch of does and a few small bucks, so we had lunch and then headed back to a different spot hunt antelope in the afternoon. So after spending an hour or so looking through the spotter and figuring nothing is in this big creek drainage, we decide to move to the next one. The day before I had three stalks ruined for me on the same ant. buck. One by other hunters, one by myself:rolleyes: , and one by a coyote wandering into the herd and blowing them out. The coyote died for his transgressions;)
So back to the afternoon on Sat. we go to leave and as i drop off of the point I have been sitting on, four hundred yards below were I have been sitting, this guy is bedded in a small cut. We see eachother at the same time and this is the result. Dad and Cliff shot a few does on Sun. and I hunted a different basin for a bug buck. I saw very little, mostly due to the temps and the fact that there is more feed and water out there this year than any I can remember for a long time. Found some good sheds and had a great time with my dad and long time friend Cliff. Till later in the season when I head back east.

Attachments

• 818.jpg
    818.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 819.jpg
    819.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 823.jpg
    823.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,114
more pics.

Here is some more pics. from the weekend.

Attachments

• 829.jpg
    829.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 809.jpg
    809.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,095
  • 811.jpg
    811.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • 801.jpg
    801.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 814.jpg
    814.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,111
Well sounds like you had a great hunt. The pics are great. Nice Buck. That Buddy Cliff must be that handsome s.o.b. on the left in the group photo. Heard a lot about that hunting machine.

Ok I can't do it anymore, I'm full of bull ha ha ha. Nice buck though I was proud to be there with you and the Ol' Bob-O.

Signed, Your goofy hunting pal
Cliff

Congrats on the goat. Glad to year you saw some decent mulies. I leave here in two days to go over east to hunt near sidney and I have been worried all year about the rough winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back