Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Easter Elk Steak Disaster - Rescued

44hunter45

Well, it happened. I guess the journey to becoming Hank Shaw is destined to have some failures.

Did elk steak for Easter Dinner. Sear, rub, bake to 120°F.

Two mistakes combined added up to the family saying, "It's OK, not like your usual." They were being kind. I got distracted and let it get to 130 internal temp, basically Medium Well.
I used a commercial rub I had not used before and it came out pucker salty. Used, "Spade L Ranch beef marinade and seasoning." Never again.

Mrs45 and our son did roasted Brussels Sprouts and they were really good, but also salty.

All that salt hit us all at the same time. It was like someone had rung a bell. We all leaned back and put down our forks, as if on queue.

I got a recipe for Kansas City Steak Soup that I need to track down and post. I got the recipe from a restaurant in Hilton Head, SC. They would use it to utilize their undercooked/overcooked and otherwise unused steaks. I always bust it out if I have a roast that doesn't turn out or steaks that go uneaten.
Please post it when you get the chance.

I'm missing something. Since when is 130° medium well. I believe 135 is typically considered medium rare? Yes?

Well, it happened. I guess the journey to becoming Hank Shaw is destined to have some failures.

Did elk steak for Easter Dinner. Sear, rub, bake to 120°F.

Two mistakes combined added up to the family saying, "It's OK, not like your usual." They were being kind. I got distracted and let it get to 130 internal temp, basically Medium Well.
I used a commercial rub I had not used before and it came out pucker salty. Used, "Spade L Ranch beef marinade and seasoning." Never again.

Mrs45 and our son did roasted Brussels Sprouts and they were really good, but also salty.

All that salt hit us all at the same time. It was like someone had rung a bell. We all leaned back and put down our forks, as if on queue.

Just curious. Did you taste the spades seasoning before use? Whenever I get a new seasoning to try I always pour some into my palm and taste it to determine how salty it is and use accordingly.

It's really cooked perfect in my opinion. I'd eat it!
Haha. In my house that’s overdone.
Just curious. Did you taste the spades seasoning before use? Whenever I get a new seasoning to try I always pour some into my palm and taste it to determine how salty it is and use accordingly.
I did. Seemed OK. My first thought was too much brown sugar. I usually make my own rub. I was just being lazy and grabbed a jar off the shelf

My wife would never eat at your house, but I sure would! My stepson and her both like everything well done, kills me.
I feel your pain, the wife thankfully wont eat wild game. I say thankfully because it means I don't have to share and I don't have to ruin it by cooking it to her hockey puck desired doneness. smh. I pray she never reads some of this stuff I post.

Back