Eagle eating antelope alive, would you do anything?

Wrong. Dying from a broken heart has been documented among humans and animals (it is a physical condition - cardiomyopathy induced by grief). If a dog and a human both get to the point where they can grieve themselves to death, why do you assume that they cannot both similarly reach a point in their suffering that they both wish to die?
Not what I meant and that is a separate thing altogether - grief like that comes from loss of companionship. That was a big point of discussion while I've been studying for my bio degree.

The fact of the matter is that all animals want to live. It's not like those that die from a broken heart just want to die - it just happens. It's a very uniquely human thing to be suicidal.

I digress, though. Have a nice day.

If youre one of those that feels the need to shoot it, make sure you shoot it with non-toxic lest you doom the eagle to a slow and painful death in its place.

You're anthropomorphizing again.
There are no hard feelings in nature. The only thing an animal feels is that it wants to live.

Humans like to think of ours as the only "moral" beings, or those capable of understanding morals, but there are many examples in nature where animals show understanding/behaviors that are far more complex than humans tend to give them credit for. This video is a great (and fascinating) example of animals that have a very clearly understanding equal treatment and fairness... something many philosophers have presumed only humans are capable of. There is a ton more of this type work out there too.

For what it's worth, I'd let the eagle/antelope situation be, as grisly as it is to watch.

So, what if this happened just out of sight over a hill and you didn't see it? Many have already said it, but this happens every day. What if you had a tag for that antelope, would you use it on this one?

I say let it happen because what's next for you? Do you wander the prairie every day on the lookout for the next antelope in distress? Never an easy decision if you are the one watching this unfold and I will stop the philosophical and hypothetical rant.

Humans like to think of ours as the only "moral" beings, or those capable of understanding morals, but there are many examples in nature where animals show understanding/behaviors that are far more complex than humans tend to give them credit for. This video is a great (and fascinating) example of animals that have a very clearly understanding equal treatment and fairness... something many philosophers have presumed only humans are capable of. There is a ton more of this type work out there too.

For what it's worth, I'd let the eagle/antelope situation be, as grisly as it is to watch.
I think what I was saying wasn’t understood as well as I’d hoped. I was in no way saying that animals are dumb, insensitive creatures and we’re the only intelligent beings in existence. I know plenty of primates, dolphins, birds, pachyderms, etc. are capable of great sympathy, but it is very human to actually want to die, and to assume other animals want to die in instances where they’re suffering. You will find that nowhere in nature. They want to escape situations and live.

What I meant by “no hard feelings” is that the eagle isn’t angry, and neither is the pronghorn. If the pronghorn got away and lived, it would hold no animosity towards the eagle and likewise with the eagle.

I think what I was saying wasn’t understood as well as I’d hoped. I was in no way saying that animals are dumb, insensitive creatures and we’re the only intelligent beings in existence. I know plenty of primates, dolphins, birds, pachyderms, etc. are capable of great sympathy, but it is very human to actually want to die, and to assume other animals want to die in instances where they’re suffering. You will find that nowhere in nature. They want to escape situations and live.

What I meant by “no hard feelings” is that the eagle isn’t angry, and neither is the pronghorn. If the pronghorn got away and lived, it would hold no animosity towards the eagle and likewise with the eagle.

Certainly I wasn't thinking you meant animals were dumb and insensitive, and my point is fairly off the topic of the antelope and eagle... It was more just that the conversations did remind me of that video and I thought some might think it was cool.

I trust monkeys more than I trust people, so there's that. :)

What a discussion we have going on here. Gonna throw my two cents in. I'd throw in more, but gas is still a lil expensive and I can't go higher than that.

Some hunt to eat, others go to the store to eat. Why do we go to the store? Why do we hunt? The answer is pretty simple. We do this because we are hungry. As hunter's we do our best to make a quick clean. It doesn't always happen, but we do our best. Before the invention of firearms hunters used spears or other forms of rudimentary hunting implements. If we were to see this today it might be difficult for us to watch like the video is.

It was mentioned that animals kill for sport and then mentioned it was disproven and that they will come back to clean up what they left behind. In the book INDIAN TRAILS and GRIZZLY TALES, by BUD CHEFF SR. He talks about a mountain lion that one of his sons helped eliminate because it was killing elk and eating only the liver of what it killed. If a predator kills critters in a pen (I'm not saying that penned animals that are killed should be allowed it's a comparison point only) or a feeding ground well, I liken that to public land vs. private land. Private land offers animals a place to go with less pressure, generally speaking, (we all know this)and taking an animal can be a little easier. Same thing for predators if they come across critters in a pen. They went to COSTCO and "bought in bulk" rather than the local stop and rob for six loaves of bread to make stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner. If these same predators have to chase a critter around the open landscape they may get one or two before they tire out, that's if they are successful at all. It's the same for us on public ground. More room+more pressure=increased difficulty.

I can remember watching a hawk kill a mourning dove it was like a dogfight. It was the first time I went hunting with my dad, I was six or seven. Greatest thing I could've ever witness in nature. One of the fondest memories I have. It didn't bug me, the eagle and the antelope don't bug me to see.

Personally I wouldn't shoot the antelope for two reasons and maybe I'm cold and callused for the first one. The first reason is when a predator kills an animal they are just going to the store to eat. The second reason being, if I shot that antelope it would be my luck that a game warden would be watching from a nearby hillside or another hunter and then I have to prove that I wasn't shooting at the eagle or a predator that I can't hunt legally.

Hope this makes some sense. Don't whup me up to bad folks.

Back