E-Scouting Questions

kbhillhunter

Interested to get your thought's on these questions (my scouting resources include: OnX, Google Earth, CO Hunting Atlas, and Cal Toppo):

1. Burns: I'm seeing lots of burns, some new (1-2 years old) and some older (10+ years). I do not know the intensity of the fires that took place, but generally they all still appear visibly marred to some degree from satellite images. With that, how old is too old for a burn? Do you stop prioritizing these as scouting locations after a certain number of years have passed?

2. Trails vs. Roads: I understand that whenever possible you want to get away from vehicle roads and ATV trails, but what about non-ATV hiking trails? Do you find that these are areas that should also be avoided? Are you just using hiking trails to get into the vicinity of potential glassing/hunting locations and then jumping off-trail into remoter areas? Or should I be looking for areas that are void of both motor and hiking trails?

3. Glassing Locations: How does your strategy change when you have a hard time pinning down potential glassing locations? The area I intend to hunt is generally flat, but there are sections within the unit(s) that offer peaks / elevation change, however it looks like the ground cover at these spots will limit my ability to glass any amount of distance.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. How is it possible that the offseason seems to be moving both fast and slow at the same time? Can't wait for October!

1. Yes, when I stop seeing animals there and start seeing them elsewhere.
2. During the fall, I rarely see "plain old hikers". I would not put them in the same category as a ATV road. I do use these roads and trails to get to where I need to be, then go to where the animals are. Usually, that means off trail.
3. If I can't' glass, I am looking for the resources that the animal needs then or where they will likely be based on alittude, feed, water, topography.

it depends on how much rainfall your location has gotten, but my guess is that a 10 year old burn is going to have some thick nasty undergrowth. have you watched any on randys videos on e-scounting? be goes into detail pretty heavily on reading burns.
the further from the trail the better off youll be.

Interested to get your thought's on these questions (my scouting resources include: OnX, Google Earth, CO Hunting Atlas, and Cal Toppo):

1. Burns: I'm seeing lots of burns, some new (1-2 years old) and some older (10+ years). I do not know the intensity of the fires that took place, but generally they all still appear visibly marred to some degree from satellite images. With that, how old is too old for a burn? Do you stop prioritizing these as scouting locations after a certain number of years have passed?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. How is it possible that the offseason seems to be moving both fast and slow at the same time? Can't wait for October!

The video we release tomorrow is all about burns. I think it is over 15 minutes long.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back