E-bike Access?

Do you support allowing e-bikes (electric motor assisted) into non-motorized areas?

• Yes

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 190 84.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
On a GA WMA hunt this year I was overwhelmed with "hunters" riding their e-bikes all over. After witnessing this first hand, I am NOT in favor of them being used on public land. I saw how they effected the hunt in a negative way, and I don't feel that they should be allowed on public land at all. It was just a crutch for lazy people. Thats all they were.

I had thought about getting one, but I have decided that there is no way I'm partaking in something so ridiculous. Furthermore, I suspect that they (govt) will start planning laws against their use more than for their use going into the future.

On a GA WMA hunt this year I was overwhelmed with "hunters" riding their e-bikes all over. ...
Same. The bikes and trailers were everywhere on two GA quota hunts last year. Turkey season is going to be a mess.

I suspect since people can't find a lease at any price these days that they will spend that budget on ebikes to hunt public.

Which eBike company do you have a business relationship with?
Absolutely none. I work in autobody. Lol Just playing the other side. I find it completely comical in the realm of access and acceptability, why do we perceive using horses as more acceptable or even aircraft, yet view e-bikes with skepticism? Are we inadvertently treating e-bikes as if they were motorcycles, despite their significant differences? I own both and dirt bikes, are far different. I find no issue with walking miles. Inadvertently however, I’m puzzled by the disparity: why does the use of a long-range scope, which leverages technological advancements for precise shooting, not extend the same acceptance to e-bikes? Because really one can just make the argument we dont need scopes after all. Or we only need a 1x power. Everyones just splitting hairs at this point. If we appreciate primitive use so much, why is there such a business for ATV's OHV's. We would all be lying if we didnt say we appreciate how much quicker they get us to the top of the road. why do some national forests have airstrips? Like I said just playing devils advocate.

The amount of illegal E-bike use (and motorized use in general) I have seen the last two seasons has made me fairly upset at times. Pretty soon they'll be selling electric side-by-sides and claim that they aren't motorized use because they don't use gas. I have switched to hunting zones that getting a bike into would be near impossible.

Last edited:
Same. The bikes and trailers were everywhere on two GA quota hunts last year. Turkey season is going to be a mess.

I suspect since people can't find a lease at any price these days that they will spend that budget on ebikes to hunt public.

If what I saw is happening on every WMA in GA then the DNR needs to do something about it now because that was a disaster of epic proportions for public land hunter.
What bothered me most was that people were using them on areas that clearly had signs saying FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY....
I asked the DNR guy about it at the end of the first day of the hunt and he said, "Oh ya, you can ride bikes on those trails as well." WTF.

I know that the e-bikes arnt allowed on the WMA's that are leased from the national forests, but nobody is following the rules. People are riding them wherever they want.

Last edited:
Absolutely none. I work in autobody. Lol Just playing the other side. I find it completely comical in the realm of access and acceptability, why do we perceive using horses as more acceptable or even aircraft, yet view e-bikes with skepticism? Are we inadvertently treating e-bikes as if they were motorcycles, despite their significant differences? I own both and dirt bikes, are far different. I find no issue with walking miles. Inadvertently however, I’m puzzled by the disparity: why does the use of a long-range scope, which leverages technological advancements for precise shooting, not extend the same acceptance to e-bikes? Because really one can just make the argument we dont need scopes after all. Or we only need a 1x power. Everyones just splitting hairs at this point. If we appreciate primitive use so much, why is there such a business for ATV's OHV's. We would all be lying if we didnt say we appreciate how much quicker they get us to the top of the road. why do some national forests have airstrips? Like I said just playing devils advocate.
And at some point something has to give; our efficiency at killing stuff just continues to get better. We can either limit what we do or we will see opportunities decrease

I’ve spent plenty of time on mtn bikes, e bikes and motorcycles. I get the difference, e bikes definitely aren’t mtn bikes in the traditional sense and shouldn’t be treated the same as them

I'm a bit late to the debate. Let's play devils advocate. Had ebikes never been named ebikes and just pedal assist would the debate be the same? Their potential impact on wilderness access, and how a simple name change might alter the debate.

Pedal-Assist Bikes Bridging the Gap Between Tradition and Technology

Pedal-assist bikes, often referred to as e-bikes, have revolutionized outdoor recreation. These two-wheeled wonders combine human pedaling power with electric assistance, allowing riders to cover more ground, conquer challenging terrain, and experience the great outdoors in new ways. But what if we called them “pedal-assist bikes” instead of “e-bikes”? Would the conversation around their use in backcountry areas change?

The Wilderness Access Conundrum

E-Bikes vs. Traditional Mountain Bikes

1. Trail Experience:
    • E-Bikes: Pedal-assist bikes enhance the trail experience by making uphill climbs more manageable. Riders can explore farther and tackle longer routes without exhausting themselves.
    • Traditional Mountain Bikes: These rely solely on human power. Riders face physical challenges but enjoy a purist’s connection.
  2. Environmental Impact:
    • E-Bikes: Their electric assistance produce minimal noise and emissions. E-bikes cause less trail erosion than traditional motorized vehicles like ATVs or dirt bikes.
    • Traditional Mountain Bikes: While eco-friendly, they still contribute to trail wear and tear.
  3. Inclusivity:
    • E-Bikes: Pedal-assist technology opens doors for people of varying fitness levels, ages, and abilities. Seniors, those recovering from injuries, and people with disabilities can explore wilderness areas.
    • Traditional Mountain Bikes: Accessibility depends on physical fitness and stamina.

E-Bikes vs. Horses

1. Noise and Disruption:
    • E-Bikes: e-bikes minimize disturbance to wildlife and other trail users.
    • Horses: Equally quiet but leave behind waste.
    • Helicopters/Airplanes: Noisy and disruptive during rescues or drop off areas.
  2. Trail Impact:
    • E-Bikes: Lighter than horses, e-bikes cause less trail damage.
    • Horses: Hooves can erode trails, especially in wet conditions.
    • Helicopters/Airplanes: Minimal trail impact but require landing zones.
  3. Safety and Speed:
    • E-Bikes: Controlled speeds reduce accidents. E-bike riders can navigate technical sections more efficiently.
    • Horses: Steady but slower.
    • Helicopters: Fastest, but limited to emergencies or money.

The Name Game

• E-Bikes: The term “e-bike” carries futuristic connotations, sparking debates about technology invading pristine wilderness.
  • Pedal-Assist Bikes: A name change emphasizes their human-powered foundation. It aligns better with traditional biking and reduces the fear of technological disruption.

Conclusion

As we ponder the future of wilderness access, let’s remember that technology evolves. Just as compound bows replaced longbows and black powder gave way to modern firearms, pedal-assist bikes represent progress. Perhaps the debate isn’t about the name but about finding harmony between tradition, innovation, and responsible stewardship of our wild places.

So, whether you’re riding an e-bike, a traditional mountain bike, or hunting with a bow, let’s cherish the outdoors and advocate for its preservation—no matter the name we give our wheels or weapons. At some point the hair splitting has got to stop. Just my thoughts.

When joining a forum it pays to build relationships before pushing political and corporate agendas. This was counter productive. You’re late to the party because you’re a new member.

I am an avid mountain biker and hunter. E-bikes, which I’ve ridden and support in motorized areas, are motor bikes. They literally have an electric motor, final. If you allow them in non-motorized areas you’re slipping down the slope.

What’s the difference between a mo-ped and an e-bike?

I appreciate your pointing to various perspectives ... but you are mixing apples with oranges with watermelons, so the logic and reasoning is off.
I don't necessarily disagree I am. But everyone needs to take into consideration technology advances. Company's make products better and more enjoyable.

Simple question: Anyone in here get a peice of gear in the last couple years? That didn't make their hunt more enjoyable then say even 10-15 years ago? The meals now? Are they more enjoyable then the old MREs?

Everyones in here acting like they don't have gear out the wazoo that didn't make time in the backcountry easier or more enjoyable... in here acting like they still got a 1960 f100 and a lever action and don't enjoy there luxuries in the backcountry.

Literally none of this applies to me 8/10 times I don't use a trail. Park where allowed and start out from there. But I do hike as well took my kids with to a shorter trail but leads to a nice alpine lake threw the summer. only open in the late summer. Iv been ran off the trail by more traditional mountain bikes. I have yet to ever even see a ebike in the areas I hunt. I'm simply saying if people don't recognize advances then we may as well hunt with lever actions with a peep.

When joining a forum it pays to build relationships before pushing political and corporate agendas. This was counter productive. You’re late to the party because you’re a new member.

I am an avid mountain biker and hunter. E-bikes, which I’ve ridden and support in motorized areas, are motor bikes. They literally have an electric motor, final. If you allow them in non-motorized areas you’re slipping down the slope.

What’s the difference between a mo-ped and an e-bike?
You have misunderstood I'm not pushing anything. I'm simply saying had they been labeled a pedal assist would the debate be the same?

Why is there no issue with airstips in certain areas?

A ebike you can take off pavement? Lol I don't know? Enlighten me a little

I don't necessarily disagree I am. But everyone needs to take into consideration technology advances. Company's make products better and more enjoyable.

Simple question: Anyone in here get a peice of gear in the last couple years? That didn't make their hunt more enjoyable then say even 10-15 years ago? The meals now? Are they more enjoyable then the old MREs?

Everyones in here acting like they don't have gear out the wazoo that didn't make time in the backcountry easier or more enjoyable... in here acting like they still got a 1960 f100 and a lever action and don't enjoy there luxuries in the backcountry.

Literally none of this applies to me 8/10 times I don't use a trail. Park where allowed and start out from there. But I do hike as well took my kids with to a shorter trail but leads to a nice alpine lake threw the summer. only open in the late summer. Iv been ran off the trail by more traditional mountain bikes. I have yet to ever even see a ebike in the areas I hunt. I'm simply saying if people don't recognize advances then we may as well hunt with lever actions with a peep.
This isn't about "gear". It's about not allowing a motorized vehicle in places they are prohibited. mtmuley

You have misunderstood I'm not pushing anything. I'm simply saying had they been labeled a pedal assist would the debate be the same?

Why is there no issue with airstips in certain areas?

A ebike you can take off pavement? Lol I don't know? Enlighten me a little
I think there is an issue with airstrips in certain areas, I’m aware of the FS being sued over one currently. That said I think every wilderness airstrip I know of existed before the area was a declared wilderness. It’s not like they are a new thing being pushed into an area

This isn't about "gear". It's about not allowing a motorized vehicle in places they are prohibited. mtmuley
It is though its a peice of gear. As stated above devils advocate. Its the same vehicle as a bike with some technology added to it. Who's to say... again then why is there airstrips in some? Clearly aircraft is a vehicle?

It is though its a peice of gear. As stated above devils advocate. Its the same vehicle as a bike with some technology added to it. Who's to say... again then why is there airstrips in some? Clearly aircraft is a vehicle?
This is about what we can control right now today. It's not about airstrips or long range rifles. The E-bike is a motorized vehicle. mtmuley

There's a line between devil's advocate and blatantly disregarding the facts of the issue. "Some technology"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back