E-bike Access?

Do you support allowing e-bikes (electric motor assisted) into non-motorized areas?

• Yes

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 190 84.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
No to E-Bikes in non-motorized areas! Part of the benefit of non-motorized areas is that those willing to put in the effort are able to get away from the crowds. E-bikes will promote more activity in quiet spaces. This world is noisy enough.

No to E-Bikes in non-motorized areas! Part of the benefit of non-motorized areas is that those willing to put in the effort are able to get away from the crowds. E-bikes will promote more activity in quiet spaces. This world is noisy enough.
I’m on board with this for the reasons you say but how much effort does someone riding a horse have to put in? If the thing that separates it is physical exertion then e-bike beats horse every single time. If the goal is less damage to trails then ebike wins hands down every single time. Again, im
Not saying open up everything to e-bikes, just saying the reasoning seems flawed.

I’m on board with this for the reasons you say but how much effort does someone riding a horse have to put in? If the thing that separates it is physical exertion then e-bike beats horse every single time. If the goal is less damage to trails then ebike wins hands down every single time. Again, im
Not saying open up everything to e-bikes, just saying the reasoning seems flawed.
This isn't a horse versus bike issue. You are missing the word motorized. mtmuley

Follow the link and comment. This is a huge evolving issues. I am an avid hunter, mountain biker and conservationist. I am a member of RMEF and the Lands Council out here is Spokane.

E-bikes, technically electric motor assisted bicycles, should not be allowed in non-motorized areas like some are pushing for. They have a place, but not there. They are faster, cause more erosion, and will spook more game. I believe mechanical bicycles should be given more access. They cause little erosion, while still being human powered. This will damage the efforts to gain access for bicycles.

What are your thoughts? Silence = Acceptance. Let the powers that be know your opinion.
I think for anyone older than 65 it should be okay! They are usually wise enough to abide by the rules!

I live in a college town where e bikes are really popular. The vast majority I see are never being peddled, the rider is just sitting there pushing the throttle. So yeah they should totally be looked at as not motorized…

I live in a college town where e bikes are really popular. The vast majority I see are never being peddled, the rider is just sitting there pushing the throttle. So yeah they should totally be looked at as not motorized…
I don’t even know why I keep posting on these as I’m not advocating for e-bikes in the backcountry but there are classes of ebike and the ones allowed on trails don’t even have a throttle. I say ban it all, if you want wilderness get in on boot leather or don’t go. No horses either.

you're point about erosion might be valid in a 1-1 comparison. I would venture to say that the number of e-bikes on a trail would outnumber horses 10-1. I unfortunately live in the city and can easily buy an e-bike but I'm in no place to have and maintain horses on my property. This case applies to many people and the result of allowing an e-bike into a non-motorized areas would flood the back country in comparison to not allowing e-bikes or motorized bikes. I feel that part of the point of non-motorized travel, again to my original point, is to keep quiet places quiet. And by quiet, I mean fewer people.

Last edited:
Spending under 3k on a nice full-suspension bike is nearly impossible these days. Most of the full suspension e-bikes from a company like Specialized, Giant, or Trek start at over $4k. I’m not sure what companies you’re looking at. There are loads at over $10k... far out of my price range. I do love Salsa bikes! Bikes are good, but they have their place.
I agree with you to a point, bikes are good but not in the backcountry. Either horses or you have to backpack your way in which I did for many years. If it wasn’t for some injuries I have sustained I would still be backpacking in. I would rather have it be left in pristine condition so other people who can brave a backpack or horse/Mules to see where others who do not have the fortitude to prepare and push themselves to go. Hopefully in another 100 years people will still be able too go into the backcountry and still enjoy the things that I have seen.

Had some of these pricks driving up my road doing 30 mph. Lance Armstrong couldn't do that on a real peddle bike if he had both nuts, and he's not obese.
That’s my point exactly there is always someone who thinks they are entitled and they deserve to be able too go where ever they want. I would even prefer if you couldn’t ride a bicycle into the backcountry I have seen to many do it now and it just ruins the trails and completely destroys the atmosphere you are trying to get into.

Follow the link and comment. This is a huge evolving issues. I am an avid hunter, mountain biker and conservationist. I am a member of RMEF and the Lands Council out here is Spokane.

E-bikes, technically electric motor assisted bicycles, should not be allowed in non-motorized areas like some are pushing for. They have a place, but not there. They are faster, cause more erosion, and will spook more game. I believe mechanical bicycles should be given more access. They cause little erosion, while still being human powered. This will damage the efforts to gain access for bicycles.

What are your thoughts? Silence = Acceptance. Let the powers that be know your opinion.
I respectfully disagree with you I do not think that any type of bikes should be allowed in wilderness areas because they do cause a lot more erosion especially in the spring time. Which cause ruts in the wilderness trails. I have seen a few people go down twisting their ankles due to the ruts. Personally I’ve never had that problem but I was always ready to throw on my backpack and head into the wilderness areas. Lately I have had a few head injuries and I will not be able too go into the backcountry anymore but I’m okay with that. That is because the mountains will still have some erosion from people, cattle, horses, and game. The game are the only ones that truly have a right to create erosion that are their game trails. The cattle and horses should be monitored not too create to much erosion but they do pay for their grazing rights which should go directly back into the land but that usually gets eaten up by people and politics.

I respectfully disagree with you I do not think that any type of bikes should be allowed in wilderness areas because they do cause a lot more erosion especially in the spring time. Which cause ruts in the wilderness trails. I have seen a few people go down twisting their ankles due to the ruts. Personally I’ve never had that problem but I was always ready to throw on my backpack and head into the wilderness areas. Lately I have had a few head injuries and I will not be able too go into the backcountry anymore but I’m okay with that. That is because the mountains will still have some erosion from people, cattle, horses, and game. The game are the only ones that truly have a right to create erosion that are their game trails. The cattle and horses should be monitored not too create to much erosion but they do pay for their grazing rights which should go directly back into the land but that usually gets eaten up by people and politics.

I agree. I think bikes have become a slippery slope, especially due to e-bikes. You bring up a great point. Spring should be heavily regulated for all traffic other than wildlife and foot traffic. If we let one style of bike in how do we monitor which style? I’ve always argued if it has a motor it is a motorcycle, but you have pushed me to consider this issue even more. How can Rangers effectively regulate this if we open Pandora’s box?

I agree with you to a point, bikes are good but not in the backcountry. Either horses or you have to backpack your way in which I did for many years. If it wasn’t for some injuries I have sustained I would still be backpacking in. I would rather have it be left in pristine condition so other people who can brave a backpack or horse/Mules to see where others who do not have the fortitude to prepare and push themselves to go. Hopefully in another 100 years people will still be able too go into the backcountry and still enjoy the things that I have seen.
Should horses and mules be allowed in during “wet seasons?”

Back