Caribou Gear Tarp

Dumb question about new brass

COElkChaser

What do you all do with new brass as far as prep work? Just inspect and load? Run through a FL sizing die? I have a backorder placed for Starline 30-06, so whenever that finally ships I'd like to know how to handle it.

I know it's a dumb question, but I've only worked with brass that's been fired at least once.

Not a dumb question.

But yes, run it through a re-sizer. I believe Starline comes in bag, right? You'll have some pieces a little dinged up. I always measure and trim new brass the same length too. And it might be over-kill but I also uniform the primer pockets and flash holes. I don't do that again after the first firing, tho. Just like to start out the same, or as close to the same as I can get it.

Not a dumb question.

But yes, run it through a re-sizer. I believe Starline comes in bag, right? You'll have some pieces a little dinged up. I always measure and trim new brass the same length too. And it might be over-kill but I also uniform the primer pockets and flash holes. I don't do that again after the first firing, tho. Just like to start out the same, or as close to the same as I can get it.
This ^^^

Not a dumb question.

ditto

So I picked up 100 brand new pieces of Lapua brass, it is phenomenal brass all the measurements are within 2thou and 2thou is the biggest difference. The case mouths all look great. Is there any reason to run them through a die, I only have full length sizing die.

So I picked up 100 brand new pieces of Lapua brass, it is phenomenal brass all the measurements are within 2thou and 2thou is the biggest difference. The case mouths all look great. Is there any reason to run them through a die, I only have full length sizing die.
I still do, i want to make sure i have consistant neck tension mainly. Plus its easy to say looks ready but a suttle dent can easily sneak past the eye test. Takes 5 mins, do whole batch and then load as needed.

I still do, i want to make sure i have consistant neck tension mainly. Plus its easy to say looks ready but a suttle dent can easily sneak past the eye test. Takes 5 mins, do whole batch and then load as needed.
So with Virgin brass are you aiming for any shoulder bump or aim for zero?

Typically the only thing I do with Lapua is run a mandrel through the neck to make sure the necks haven't gotten dinged up in the box. Virgin lapua neck tension is usually very tight and it's nice to lighten it up a little. Sometimes i'll give the mouths a chamfer/debur but usually not necessary with lapua. ADG brass is similar except it's packaged in a manner that prevents neck dings but usually benefits from a mouth chamfer/deburr.

I did notice my primer pockets on new 300wm lapua brass are very tight so I'll probably run a pocket uniformer through them which I've never done with any other lapua brass.

Last edited:
Typically the only thing I do with Lapua is run a mandrel through the neck to make sure the necks haven't gotten dinged up in the box. Virgin lapua neck tension is usually very tight and it's nice to lighted it up a little. Sometimes i'll give the mouths a chamfer/debur but usually not necessary with lapua. ADG brass is similar except it's packaged in a manner that prevents neck dings but usually benefits from a mouth chamfer/deburr.

I did notice my primer pockets on new 300wm lapua brass are very tight so I'll probably run a pocket uniformer through them which I've never done with any other lapua brass.
So since I only have full length sizing dies would running it over the expander mandrel but not all the way up into the die be something I should try or just run it all the way up for consistency

So since I only have full length sizing dies would running it over the expander mandrel but not all the way up into the die be something I should try or just run it all the way up for consistency
I’m going to assume your FL die is already setup for your rifles chamber/shoulder bump.
Nothing wrong with lubing necks and running your cases through the die to make them all consistent. Most likely nothing will get sized expect the necks anyway.

I’m going to assume your FL die is already setup for your rifles chamber/shoulder bump.
Nothing wrong with lubing necks and running your cases through the die to make them all consistent. Most likely nothing will get sized expect the necks anyway.
Makes sense.

Oh well. My favorite brass is Winchester brass. Sometimes, not a lot, I get a piece that has a dented case mouth and run it in and out over the neck expander. Stuff has always worked for me, always been easy to find and normally the least expensive. oh and normally I can find it in a gun shop close to home!

Oh well. My favorite brass is Winchester brass. Sometimes, not a lot, I get a piece that has a dented case mouth and run it in and out over the neck expander. Stuff has always worked for me, always been easy to find and normally the least expensive. oh and normally I can find it in a gun shop close to home!
I have used winchester brass quite a lot, I did have to run those through the die because they were dinged up a good bit.

I agree with what @cahunter805 said, the only negative is you're working the necks a little more by expanding, sizing down, and expanding again when running it all the way in your die.

I haven't used expander balls on any dies in a long time. The only negative I can think of by extending your expander ball a ways down to avoid the neck of the case getting to the neck sizing portion of the die is it could induce a little run out in the case. Shooting it would straighten it out again.

Personally, i don't care who the manufacturer is, i'm going to do the same prep (in some cases check) anyways.

Visual inspection.
F/L size.
Trim.
Camfer/deburr case mouth.
Uniform primer pockets.
Uniform/deburr flash hole.

Why take anything for chance?

I've loaded a lot of rounds of new brass without resizing and have had never had a single issue.....until recently. I loaded some new Winchester brass and out of 50 rounds, I had a couple with neck tension so loose the bullets simply fell out of the case. So I'll likely resize new brass from here on out.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back