Dumb Elk Head Questions

CubsFan

I'm sure this will seem like a dumb question to most but if I have no interest in mounting an elk what do you do with the head? In Colorado I gather I have to pack out the head because of antler point restrictions but once home do people who aren't mounting just throw the head away?

In states where there aren't antler point restriction can you simply leave the head in the field?

What is the most efficient way to pack out the head if required? Most gutless method videos I've watched don't address the head and the ones that do are always for people who want a shoulder mount so the process is possibly more than I need to be concerned about?

If I am not mounting or European mounting a head I will just cut the antlers off with a cap of the skull attached and hang it in the rafters of the garage.

And in Montana anyway, as long as you have the evidence of sex (nut sack) attached to the meat like it's supposed to be then I don't see why you couldn't just leave the head.

Generally the easiest way I have found to pack out a head is to find the last vertebrae and cut all the soft tissue down to the bone then give it s good twist. Then I'll skin the head out and throw it on the pack. Getting the bottom jaw and skin off really lowers the weight of the head.

I pack a wyoming saw in my meat pack in hopes of someday bagging a big bull... I have used for deer and I will do the same on the elk. Cut the skull cap off and keep evidence of sex (testicles) on the hind quarters. No reason to pack out the head if your not going to use it.

If you are trying to be as efficient as possible leave the saw at home just remove the skull right at the base where it attaches to the spine. Once the skull is detached remove the hide, extra meat, and lower jaw should take you 5-10 mins. You can do an entire elk with a havalon or gerber sized knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjyzOPSGqs

If you don't want your antlers you can sell them to horn buyers... what do you think those guys shed hunting are doing :) You should be able to get $8-12 a lb.

Thanks for the replies all. Is it common to just take the head then use a proper saw back home to just take the skull cap?

@elkduds are you suggesting it is advisable that people get theirs tested for CWD?

Thanks for the replies all. Is it common to just take the head then use a proper saw back home to just take the skull cap?

@elkduds are you suggesting it is advisable that people get theirs tested for CWD?

See 1313's post. I like to have mine tested if I harvest in a unit w CWD. I need a brain-eating illness like I need another hole in my head.

I have a simple answer and what i've done for decades. I don't hunt units that have a 4 point rule.

However, I see another grey area. The law says the bull in certain units needs to have 4 points. That's all I see it saying. It doesn't say you need to haul it for inspection. Why not tell the warden that stops you if it ever happens you'd gladly bring him back to the kill to show him. Either that, or he can wait there and you'll go get it. Nowhere does it say you need to have it with you for inspection.

However, I see another grey area. The law says the bull in certain units needs to have 4 points. That's all I see it saying. It doesn't say you need to haul it for inspection. Why not tell the warden that stops you if it ever happens you'd gladly bring him back to the kill to show him. Either that, or he can wait there and you'll go get it. Nowhere does it say you need to have it with you for inspection.

I am new to hunting and had absolutely zero exposure prior to trying to learn in the last couple of years. Something that has definitely surprised me is the amount of rules and technicalities that go into it. Tags, draws, units, preference points, short seasons, evidence of sex, antler points, on and on. I'm sure it is all in place for a good reason but it can be a bit tedious at times.

This is directly in the Colorado Regs which I interpreted as needing to haul the head out with you.

"Head or skull plate, with both
antlers naturally attached, must
accompany the carcass of bulls in
camp or in transit, even when the
scrotum or testicles are used as
evidence of sex. "

I am new to hunting and had absolutely zero exposure prior to trying to learn in the last couple of years. Something that has definitely surprised me is the amount of rules and technicalities that go into it. Tags, draws, units, preference points, short seasons, evidence of sex, antler points, on and on. I'm sure it is all in place for a good reason but it can be a bit tedious at times.

This is directly in the Colorado Regs which I interpreted as needing to haul the head out with you.

"Head or skull plate, with both
antlers naturally attached, must
accompany the carcass of bulls in
camp or in transit, even when the
scrotum or testicles are used as
evidence of sex. "

Ok, I missed that. I took a quick look in the brochure and didn't see that in the point section. In reading it I see it must be in the proof of sex section. As I said, I never bothered with it, because I don't hunt in a unit that has a point law. What a pain to have to carry that out. Especially, if you have no plans to keep them.

I am new to hunting and had absolutely zero exposure prior to trying to learn in the last couple of years. Something that has definitely surprised me is the amount of rules and technicalities that go into it.

I totally feel you on this one. I was am an adult onset hunter as well and my 2nd season I hunted three states. That year I read the ID, WY, and CO regs cover to cover because they are all just enough different that you can get into trouble if you aren't careful. The tagging requirements, blaze orange requirements, and public use of state trust lands in particular are pretty ridiculous when it comes to variability.

Pro tip I learned this year from my father-in-law... because Colorado requires you to sign your license in the field after the kill, (I mean who carries a pen or pencil backpack hunting) if you hunt rifle you can use the lead tip of the bullet to sign your license, works just like a fat pencil. If our an archer... guess you better make sure that bic pen makes it in the pack.

Regards to CWD they take the lymph nodes from underneath the head behind the jaw for testing.
States like Wyoming require the head be left in the field in the unit harvested if it is a CWD unit or deposited at a landfill prior to leavings the state. Only a clean scull cap and antlers can leave the state. I would think that is a good practice where ever..

You, or someone you know, can make things from antlers. Drawer pulls, table decorations when screw upright to wooden base, chandeliers, hat rack, landscaping point of focus in back yard, knife handle, handgun grips, icicles for Christmas tree, etc.

I totally feel you on this one. I was am an adult onset hunter as well and my 2nd season I hunted three states. That year I read the ID, WY, and CO regs cover to cover because they are all just enough different that you can get into trouble if you aren't careful. The tagging requirements, blaze orange requirements, and public use of state trust lands in particular are pretty ridiculous when it comes to variability.

Pro tip I learned this year from my father-in-law... because Colorado requires you to sign your license in the field after the kill, (I mean who carries a pen or pencil backpack hunting) if you hunt rifle you can use the lead tip of the bullet to sign your license, works just like a fat pencil. If our an archer... guess you better make sure that bic pen makes it in the pack.

I carry a fine point perma market in the Ziploc with my tag, licenses, etc. Also, I carry a bit of electrical tape for end of barrel and to attach the tag upon harvest. If into pictures, can cut the tongue out then sew the lips shut so carry black thread and a (pre-threaded while at home) strong, long needle. Can carry a few unscented baby wipes for when nature calls and to clean up blood off animal prior to picture though photoshop can clean up the blood also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back