duck hunting

What happened to the Montana writer?
It's a long story. A Bozeman writer who had been doing the ending piece for DU journal for years got sacked for writing an article critical of former bigshot DU board member who owns a Montana "ranch" on the Ruby River and was trying to keep fishermen from accessing the water. He was cited and took his case to Montana Supreme court (as several other transplant big shots have unsuccessfully tried before) and lost. No surprise. Just a huge waste of taxpayers dollars fighting this rich game hog non-Montanan. That was the essence of the guy's piece published in an obscure Bozeman ski magazine. The rich slob pulled some strings to get him fired. Quite a stink about it. DU has never backed off and I've never given them a dime since.

The first thing I ever hunted was ducks. I was 12 years old, nobody taught me, nobody in my family hunted. My older brothers had guns, they liked to shoot but didn't hunt.
I started out jump shooting and it evolved from there. I still like jump shooting. You will find "purest" who despise jump shooters and will criticize it but do what you like.
I'm 58 now and still addicted to quack.

I used to use all the expensive gear / camo, built numerous blinds, boats, calls, dog, many dozens approaching hundreds of decoys, etc. I don’t do any of that anymore.

I changed to learning about different waterfowl species - when they migrate, what moves them from place to place during the day, how weather affects them, what they eat at different times of year, etc. I scout a fair amount, and enjoy bird-watching.

I hunted today in solids. I kept to the shadows or hid in the brush. No call, blind, dog, or boat. Just waders, binos, and a rangefinder. I have a kayak as backup if it’s too deep to wade out and retrieve a dead bird. I go where the birds want to be naturally. I wait for them to land and shoot them in the head 25 yards or less. Another strategy is glassing bodies of water from 100-600 yards away, then sneaking in very close for head shots.

Don’t get me wrong, creating a decoy set up and calling to trick birds to come in can be quite the thrill, especially huge flocks. It also takes a significant amount of time, effort, money, and skill.

The first thing I ever hunted was ducks. I was 12 years old, nobody taught me, nobody in my family hunted. My older brothers had guns, they liked to shoot but didn't hunt.
I started out jump shooting and it evolved from there. I still like jump shooting. You will find "purest" who despise jump shooters and will criticize it but do what you like.
I'm 58 now and still addicted to quack.
Really? Some sit-on-his-fat-ass-in-a-blind "sportsman" would be critical of a guy who wears out his boots shooting ducks? Not me. Like you I was started jump shooting and still love it ... if I can find someplace with water that's not posted up. The dogs stay healthier if they're on the move instead of sitting wet on a cold board all day. I'll be sixty-eight this week. Shot nine geese the first two half days hunting them this past week. My decoy bag never left the back seat of the Jimmy.

Your post was packed with great information and I agree with you on all except what is bolded above. That text I am uncertain about with my experience hunting waterfowl.

I always did better at killing birds when they are shot coming in rather then going away. Your feather penetration theory made me think about this a little for the first time and I'm not sure it means much. The only reason I am bringing my thoughts into this is it may not be helping a new hunter.

Just for this discussion an example of 40 mph flight speed. An incoming (+ speed) bird is moving 40 mph. An outgoing (- speed) bird is going 40 mph. There is a difference of 80 mph (117.3 fps) between incoming and out going. An incoming (+ fps)bird will get hit harder with the shot than the bird outgoing (- fps). I do recognize there are probably better protective properties for the feathers if they are impacted in the streamline direction vs not. But is it enough to change the difference at 117.3 fps? I not sure that the feathered armor has enough in it to fully absorb the projectile doing 117 fps.

Shooting at an incoming bird also gives you the time it takes for them to become out going birds for shot opportunity.

Those are my (2 fps) thoughts. :)
I don't agree with it. Especially the part about 2 3/4" shells being anemic. Not hardly. I don't have any trouble killing ducks or Giants with them at all.

These ducks would not have agreed either. At least not after Friday morning...
pgnIOa8.jpg

Some 3" shells are anemic for waterfowl. If it doesn't say 1550 fps on the box and you're shooting steel shot, you won't be getting many honkers. Some 2.75" shells can get up to that speed but the payload is smaller. Steel for honkers requires big BB shot and oversize pellets in 2.75" shell means a relatively skimpy payload. It works but you need to be a good shot.

Some 3" shells are anemic for waterfowl. If it doesn't say 1550 fps on the box and you're shooting steel shot, you won't be getting many honkers. Some 2.75" shells can get up to that speed but the payload is smaller. Steel for honkers requires big BB shot and oversize pellets in 2.75" shell means a relatively skimpy payload. It works but you need to be a good shot.
To each his own. I disagree entirely. Honkers die regularly. Never lost one actually.
EddQ38F.jpg

I've never been a waterfowl hunter but I thought it would be cool to get into duck hunting. Question is, is duck hunting easy for someone who has never done it before to do? Have any advice for someone trying to get into duck hunting?

Pond hopping isn't difficult, other than getting permission from landowners. If you can get access, it's a fun way to get some fowl.

Setting up over decoys isn't overly difficult, either. Learn where they want to be, and have your setup placed with the wind coming mostly from your back. Conceal yourself well, and wear a mask/facepaint/whatever to eliminate face shine. Figured out that tidbit during the puberty years.

Some of it depends on where and what you are hunting, though. Waterfowling can be as expensive as you want to make it, like most other game hunting. Pond hopping will probably be the least expensive, if you don't have to pay trespass fees. I hunted marshes/flooded fields for years without a boat, but you will generally need waders, a dozen decoys, and a call. A small jon boat can make things a little easier and can get you to some new places. A good dog is a joy when hunting ducks & geese.

To each his own. I disagree entirely. Honkers die regularly. Never lost one actually.
EddQ38F.jpg
So what is it you disagree with, speed or pellet size? Never lost a honker? Really? How many have you shot? Or better question would be how many have flown off shot up? You are probably the only waterfowl hunter in the world who's done much hunting at all and can make that claim. Sweet outfit by the way. Interesting that a guy who spends so much money on duds goes for the cheap shells (insert smiley).

Here's yesterday's limit pass and jump shooting. Decoys never left the vehicle. Five birds in six shots. 3" Winchester Walmart specials. 1 1/8 oz @ 1550 fps. Shot out of a 1961 Browning A5 with modified choke screwed into the 31" Miroku made barrel. Not all dropped dead but those that weren't didn't have much life left by the time they were in hand. I regularly shoot honker triples with those shells ... and not flock shooting either. Usually get thirty to forty geese a year and a couple dozen ducks. Could shoot a lot more (they need to be shot!) but how much sausage can an empty nest widower eat?
IMG_4106.jpg
20201003_215610.jpg

Last edited:
I wait for them to land and shoot them in the head 25 yards or less. Another strategy is glassing bodies of water from 100-600 yards away, then sneaking in very close for head shots.

Hahaha So kinda like shooting doves off power lines or fence rows ?

So what is it you disagree with, speed or pellet size? Never lost a honker? Really? How many have you shot? Or better question would be how many have flown off shot up? You are probably the only waterfowl hunter in the world who's done much hunting at all and can make that claim. Sweet outfit by the way. Interesting that a guy who spends so much money on duds goes for the cheap shells (insert smiley).

Here's yesterday's limit pass and jump shooting. Decoys never left the vehicle. Five birds in six shots. 3" Winchester Walmart specials. 1 1/8 oz @ 1550 fps. Shot out of a 1961 Browning A5 with modified choke screwed into the 31" Miroku made barrel. Not all dropped dead but those that weren't didn't have much life left by the time they were in hand. I regularly shoot honker triples with those shells ... and not flock shooting either. Usually get thirty to forty geese a year and a couple dozen ducks. Could shoot a lot more (they need to be shot!) but how much sausage can an empty nest widower eat?
View attachment 156503
View attachment 156504
Not everyone who buys 2.75" shells does it to save money actually I'm guessing it has absolutely nothing to do with why Brent is using them.

Not everyone who buys 2.75" shells does it to save money actually I'm guessing it has absolutely nothing to do with why Brent is using them.
That was the purpose of the "(insert smiley)". I'm guessing the reason he prefers 2.75" is because he shoots a classic old double with fancy wood and the gun won't handle 3" shells. He certainly appears to be the kind of aficionado who spends the money which makes me wonder if he's shooting tungsten or bismuth (which would be required for a classic SxS). There is no comparison between 2.75" tungsten/bismuth and 3" steel. The former are more effective (or so I'm told) ... and they should be at $5 per shell.

I have shot geese with #1 steel in 2.75" shells @ 1500 fps and it works. Just not as well. It is a relatively thin pattern and they are tough birds. Up here we are on the leading edge of the migration and birds aren't shot up yet. I know guys here who hunt from layout blinds using 20 gauge #2 steel shot very effectively. But the geese are almost in their lap ... or they don't shoot. They can certainly pick and choose what they shoot at. I hunt from cover on the edge of the field with decoys set 45-55 yards out (or the honkers won't even look at them). I try to use the wind so geese have to come in over me. Or I'll take them as they circle on approach. Seldom do I get a shot closer than forty yards. I need a good reasonably full pattern at 45-55 yards or the geese will leave banged up. 2.75" twelve gauge in BB or #2 doesn't deliver unless using exotic nontoxic heavy pellets. Steel 2.75" works sort of ... = "anemic".

Last edited:
That was the purpose of the "(insert smiley)". I'm guessing the reason he prefers 2.75" is because he shoots a classic old double with fancy wood and the gun won't handle 3" shells. He certainly appears to be the kind of aficionado who spends the money which makes me wonder if he's shooting tungsten or bismuth (which would be required for a classic SxS). There is no comparison between 2.75" tungsten/bismuth and 3" steel. The former are more effective (or so I'm told) ... and they should be at $5 per shell.

I have shot geese with #1 steel in 2.75" shells @ 1500 fps and it works. Just not as well. It is a relatively thin pattern and they are tough birds. Up here we are on the leading edge of the migration and birds aren't shot up yet. I know guys here who hunt from layout blinds using 20 gauge #2 steel shot very effectively. But the geese are almost in their lap ... or they don't shoot. They can certainly pick and choose what they shoot at. I hunt from cover on the edge of the field with decoys set 45-55 yards out (or the honkers won't even look at them). I try to use the wind so geese have to come in over me. Or I'll take them as they circle on approach. Seldom do I get a shot closer than forty yards. I need a good reasonably full pattern at 45-55 yards or the geese will leave banged up. 2.75" twelve gauge in BB or #2 doesn't deliver unless using exotic nontoxic heavy pellets. Steel 2.75" works sort of ... = "anemic".
I cant imagine seldom having a shot closer than 40 yards. Longer shells won't make you any more ethical. But to each his own keep on sky bustin.

How many have I shot? I can't really say. Lost count long ago. Flown off wounded, probably many fewer than you. I can think of only one in recent several years. Not sure who hit it and who misses. Since you are sky-blaster, you've lost far more I'll wager.

I find it interesting that you want to insult me over my "duds". Being the clotheshorse I am, everything in that picture was bought on sale and used for many other things. The raincoat was a sale item at REI. It's the same one I wear to the office after I hose the blood off of (usually). The other jackets are my every day jackets layered up because it was damn cold, especially since I am too cheap to buy a set of insulated duck-hunting dedicated waders. They are summer fishing waders and they are goddamn cold. And my hat. Well you think that's hoity-toity too? $30. But because you choose to insult me over my cloths, I'll go out and buy a Stetson that I've been wanting for a long time.

Let's see we have a cheaper than dirt (<$10) Faulk's Duck call from the 1980s, another duck call that is pretty nice, I won on a lottery ticket at a DU banquet. And a then the hottest item, a $35 Cabela's Goose call, also from my days as a grad student in the 80s. So, dang, you give me shit over my "outfit"? Really?

I do save my money that way so I can invest in things that are important to me. And shotguns would be one of them. I have doubles that shoot 3" steel, but I don't. Just no need. I do use good ammo. None of it 1550 fps, even though the Merkel would handle it easily. Just pointless. I'm not particularly glued to the ammo makers' hype. But good ammo costs money - just a lot less than buying a new 3" gun because all you have is a 2.75". Steel or bismuth or whatever it all kills well, even in 2.75" and even when loaded with blackpowder as was the case for that goose shot with a century old, $1000 hammer gun. I suppose you want to beat me up over that too, along with my dog - which cost me much more than any of my guns and I like it that way, thank you. But lay off my wardrobe.

So, I guess in the end, you know it all and have all the answers. You're the kind of guy I hope to never seen the marsh when I'm out there. I'm not impressed with you, your style of hunting, or your attitude.

Bye.

How many have I shot? I can't really say. Lost count long ago. Flown off wounded, probably many fewer than you. I can think of only one in recent several years. Not sure who hit it and who misses. Since you are sky-blaster, you've lost far more I'll wager.

I find it interesting that you want to insult me over my "duds". Being the clotheshorse I am, everything in that picture was bought on sale and used for many other things. The raincoat was a sale item at REI. It's the same one I wear to the office after I hose the blood off of (usually). The other jackets are my every day jackets layered up because it was damn cold, especially since I am too cheap to buy a set of insulated duck-hunting dedicated waders. They are summer fishing waders and they are goddamn cold. And my hat. Well you think that's hoity-toity too? $30. But because you choose to insult me over my cloths, I'll go out and buy a Stetson that I've been wanting for a long time.

Let's see we have a cheaper than dirt (<$10) Faulk's Duck call from the 1980s, another duck call that is pretty nice, I won on a lottery ticket at a DU banquet. And a then the hottest item, a $35 Cabela's Goose call, also from my days as a grad student in the 80s. So, dang, you give me shit over my "outfit"? Really?

I do save my money that way so I can invest in things that are important to me. And shotguns would be one of them. I have doubles that shoot 3" steel, but I don't. Just no need. I do use good ammo. None of it 1550 fps, even though the Merkel would handle it easily. Just pointless. I'm not particularly glued to the ammo makers' hype. But good ammo costs money - just a lot less than buying a new 3" gun because all you have is a 2.75". Steel or bismuth or whatever it all kills well, even in 2.75" and even when loaded with blackpowder as was the case for that goose shot with a century old, $1000 hammer gun. I suppose you want to beat me up over that too, along with my dog - which cost me much more than any of my guns and I like it that way, thank you. But lay off my wardrobe.

So, I guess in the end, you know it all and have all the answers. You're the kind of guy I hope to never seen the marsh when I'm out there. I'm not impressed with you, your style of hunting, or your attitude.

Bye.
You are completely full of bull honkey if you are trying to tell us you are killing geese frequently without ever wounding one using steel shot.

I cant imagine seldom having a shot closer than 40 yards. Longer shells won't make you any more ethical. But to each his own keep on sky bustin.
Not sure what you're getting at. My deeks are set out 45-55 yards but that doesn't mean I'm shooting out there. If geese come down the field and land without circling, there's no shot. Too far and I'm not blowing holes in the deeks. Leave them till more come. The ideal setup is with decoys set upwind of my cover. That way the honkers pretty much have to come over me to land. No wind and it's a crapshoot what the geese will do. What they will not do is look at decoys set any closer to cover. New geese may not be real smart but they're not that stupid. When I'm backed against timber it can be exciting especially if the honkers shut up when their wings are set. Then all of a sudden they're in view over the top. Separates the men from the boys. It's a lot more fun than shooting off my butt laying in a cold box in the middle of a field.

Forty to fifty yard shots at a goose's undersides with 3" steel BB @1550 fps is certainly ethical. Very doable ... except on the water (shooting through armour plate folded wing feathers)... or in a stiff wind (wind does funny things to steel shot). At 45 yards lead must be increased half again when they're coming into the deeks against a brisk breeze. Sixty yards is skybusting.

Last edited:

Bye.
Easy there. I did imply tongue in cheek re your duds. Personally I agree and would never buy a pair of neoprene waders for duck hunting. Twelve years ago I fished all day, day after day in Alaska's Brooks River with my breathable Orvis waders (discontinued clearance sale). And the ice had just gone out in the lake. Wear enough layers underneath and breathable waders are fine for cold work. I can't stand the bulkiness of neoprene. I have a well worn chocolate brown crushable wool hat very similar to yours. Bought it at a grocery store in Mariposa ten years ago. I love it ... but not for hunting. My high maintenance Resistol hasn't been out of the closet in twenty years. My two dogs weren't cheap pups, but not real expensive either ($800 for Fr Brit and $400 for Lab Ellie). Best hunting dog I'll ever own cost me $35 back in 1977. Guess I pegged you correctly on the shotgun? Merkel is some pretty fancy hardware. I am a multimillionaire (or I was last time we checked back in April) but prefer spending money on hunting and fishing trips instead of stuff. Like you say, to each his own.

Last edited:
You guys reckon them there fish ducks are good eating? I found a bunch of mergansers in a good spot for a stalk.😉
Curmudgeons and their insults to each other are amusing. Life is too short. Excepting unless you insult a man’s dog. Then it’s all out war.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back