MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

duck hunting

You guys reckon them there fish ducks are good eating? I found a bunch of mergansers in a good spot for a stalk.😉
Curmudgeons and their insults to each other are amusing. Life is too short. Excepting unless you insult a man’s dog. Then it’s all out war.
The part about the dog made me laugh, tmore true words were never spoken!

Your words.
Yes, I should clarify. When I put the deeks out in the dark I pace off the distance from cover. Otherwise if I guesstimate I'll often put them too close. At 45-55 yards, depending on how long the geese have been in the area, I drop the bag and start setting up in front. So any geese that make it into or even over the decoys are really out of range. And usually if they get on the ground they're on the other side of the set. Again, the objective is to pass shoot them from cover on the edge of the field. Don't have to mess with a blind and I can shoot standing up. The farming here on this small clay belt in the rocky Canadian Shield is all dairy so the fields are relatively small with forest, brush, or water on the edges. Usually the cover behind me means incoming birds working the wind won't be very low when they come over. They have to clear the trees. Forty to fifty yards is a decent shot overhead. Doubles are not uncommon. Most of my triples are crossing shots in front between me and the decoys at geese circling in for a landing. They are usually lower than overhead but out in front. As often as not they fall in the deeks but of course that doesn't mean anything re where they are when I shoot. Often overhead geese that are killed dead sail into the decoys. It is not unusual for me to get a limit of five honkers in as many shots and batting .500 is really a bad day. When I leave the vehicle I usually have every shell loop in the coat filled plus a few extras in the bottom of the pocket: a dozen to fifteen shells. Maybe more if there's ducks around. I can only recall shooting myself out of ammo a couple of times. Forty to fifty yards is a good range for me and my equipment. Occasionally the setup provides closer shooting. One memorable morning comes to mind. Must be seven years ago now. I was hiding in a clump of willows about ten feet tall on a grassy knoll above the edge of a cut barley field. It was a windless day with tons of new geese coming from all directions. I had no problem quickly getting my limit in as many shots. While Pearl was bringing in the last one, geese were landing in the decoys. And then the really big flocks started coming. If not shot off the field geese will likely return again so I decided to wait it out till they had left to water up at mid day before pulling the decoys. Hundreds were packed in the field. It was quite a sight. I distinctly remember one family group gliding in overhead close enough to rustle the leaves in the willows with their wind drag. Their wings literally roared. If I'd stood up I'm sure I could have whacked one with my gun barrel. Poor dogs about went nuts but eventually settled down for a nap in spite of the racket. And it was a long nap. The geese didn't leave till two in the afternoon. But it was a beautiful sunny day and I had nothing to do anyway. Somewhere I have a photo of the dogs napping next to the pile of birds and another of the field in front blanketed with honkers and a few snows.

Last edited:
Too funny to see people trying to "out cheap" each other. "Well my gloves were bought at a garage sale...."!! "Yeah, well I use bread bags instead of GoreTex!"

The stuff I buy for hunting has to work well in adverse conditions. the more comfortable I am the more likely I am to stick it out longer. the more comfortable my kids are, the more likely they are to like hunting. If you are happy with your clothing and gear, I dont care if it is 50 years old or the newest thing on the market. If it works for you, that is all that matters. No need to criticize anyone's gear. If someone is decked out head-to-toe in Sitka, I say that is fantastic and that is a comfy hunter!

Regarding shooting waterfowl leaving due to poor penetration when they are coming in....I always prefer the coming in shots and have never had a problem with penetration. That might be a case where you need to spend more to get quality shells if your BBs are not penetrating through incoming duck feathers.

Regarding shooting waterfowl leaving due to poor penetration when they are coming in....I always prefer the coming in shots and have never had a problem with penetration. That might be a case where you need to spend more to get quality shells if your BBs are not penetrating through incoming duck feathers.
As do I. Heads, necks, and wings along with vitals are well exposed. Gut shooting from below and behind at long range - not so much.

I will have to work on my attire however to meet ol' Ontario's issues. And chuck my $800-1000 Merkel since it's too fancy apparently. I really don't get this guy.

As do I. Heads, necks, and wings along with vitals are well exposed. Gut shooting from below and behind at long range - not so much.

I will have to work on my attire however to meet ol' Ontario's issues. And chuck my $800-1000 Merkel since it's too fancy apparently. I really don't get this guy.
You are too sensitive. Wonder why? A little tongue in cheek and you go all pouty. Actually we're not that different in the clothes selection department. Though I can afford it, I hunt way too hard for expensive pretty guns. But that's just me. And I prefer to shoot the same gun at the range that I use in the field (I usually go through a couple thousand rounds trap, skeet, and clays every year). I don't see anything but disadvantage switching guns when start hunting. I can certainly afford very expensive dogs ($15K for Pearl's vet bills the year before she died), but I don't see the point. I pick a pup based on its personality and less on its pedigree or price tag. And it's worked out well for me. I have hunted over dogs that cost their owners more than the price of a good used pickup but weren't worth a bag of dogfood in the field. I bet you have too.

As to the incoming vs outgoing debate, I am at a loss to see how an incoming bird's vitals, head, and wings are more exposed. It obviously presents a thinner profile ... until the bird is feet down and wings up on top of the decoys or flares after the first shot, which is the easiest and most vulnerable presentation. But I don't call it incoming. I understand incoming to mean head on and dropping to the decoys. And yes the "guts" are entirely exposed as the goose passes overhead. How is that a bad thing? "Guts" includes heart and BOTH lungs and penetration is more or less ninety degrees, not deflected. Head, neck, and BOTH wings are obviously more exposed passing overhead. Is it a more difficult shot than waiting for them to stop in midair as they try to land or change directions? Sure, but a pass shot still has a very good probability of bringing the bird down. If it didn't I wouldn't be bagging so many with so few shells. Pass shooting does require some minimal expertise. Shooting at a flared goose landing in the decoys not so much. Some guys shooting from blinds in the middle of their decoys get a charge out of turning flared birds into confetti at 25 yards. It's not my thing. I hate shooting off my butt. Also not into wasting time dissecting shot and feathers from meat when I could be watching the football game instead.

Last edited:
Jesus people it is waterfowl hunting not rocket surgery. The birds have a brain the size of walnut. Find birds, figure out how to hide yourself, put out deeks, shoot birds. It doesn't matter what you wear if you can hide, decoy brands don't matter, shoot what shotgun shells you feel comfortable with and know will kill birds.

If you choose to jump shoot then good on ya. I have done it as well and it is a ton of fun.

I Started with a garage sell spread of used decoys, burlap to hide under, old military camo and Carhartts. Now $15,000 and 15 years later have a V Nose 14 foot cargo trailer stuffed with blinds, 15 dozen full body goose decoys, field and water duck decoys, robo ducks, goose flappers, flags, snow covers, etc etc and guess what it still boils down to scouting, hiding well and shooting birds.

Nemont

Well after 2 weekends of hunting for the first time, I've learned a few things:
- I don't know what kind of decoy spread brings in ducks
- I don't know what calls bring in ducks
- Scout hard enough to find em, and they'll eventually give you pass shooting chances. Not as cool as decoying birds, but it's meat in the freezer.

- Scout hard enough to find em, and they'll eventually give you pass shooting chances. Not as cool as decoying birds, but it's meat in the freezer.
Don't give up. Some days it doesn't matter what you do. The birds have a place to be and it's not where your decoys are set. Other days I've had geese landing in the decoys while I'm staking them out or pulling them up. Actually, as a newbie if you bagged some birds pass shooting, that is VERY cool. More difficult to accomplish even for an experienced hunter.

Duck hunting can be as expensive(shells, cork/wood decoys, waders, boat, gun etc..) as you want it to be, or it can be as lean as you want it(jump shooting, pass shooting etc..).

At the end of the day, it's something I enjoy no matter what the technique used to take birds.
I prefer decoying birds, but have no issue giving them a sneak if that's the way things play out.

Contrary to what you see above, it's not a pissing contest; it's a great way to introduce someone to the outdoors.

Best of luck to you!

Don't give up. Some days it doesn't matter what you do. The birds have a place to be and it's not where your decoys are set. Other days I've had geese landing in the decoys while I'm staking them out or pulling them up. Actually, as a newbie if you bagged some birds pass shooting, that is VERY cool. More difficult to accomplish even for an experienced hunter.
Years of sporting clays and pheasant hunting have made me a decent enough wingshooter. Those teal are fast though!

What little teal hunting experience I have is that you wait until someone else shoots before shooting.
Teal tend to rise straight up when shot at, so you can get pretty good shots on the rise.

I have read that they are no faster than other ducks but that their small size and flock behavior just makes it seem that way. Sure has me fooled. It's hard to lead them too far.
The same for little Huns. You think a covey flushes out of range and they're actually only 20 yards away. Keep shooting! Unless you're used to it, picking one bird to shoot in the confusion is not easy.

1. There isn't a magic spread of decoys that will get birds to decoy. Watch live birds, they usually aren't in a "spread" of any kind however note their location and wind direction at the time. That will give you a clue as to where they want to be, then go and set decoys where they want to be.
2. Calling is way over rated IMO. Hiding well is THE KEY to success. You can have the best of everything but if you have a poor hide=tough hunting.
3. Scouting is important.

1. There isn't a magic spread of decoys that will get birds to decoy. Watch live birds, they usually aren't in a "spread" of any kind however note their location and wind direction at the time. That will give you a clue as to where they want to be, then go and set decoys where they want to be.
2. Calling is way over rated IMO. Hiding well is THE KEY to success. You can have the best of everything but if you have a poor hide=tough hunting.
3. Scouting is important.
I agree on all points. When using decoys try to position your hiding spot downwind of the spread. Birds prefer landing into the wind. It gives them better control. You can intercept them as they come to decoys. I'll give a flock of geese that's had a look but lost interest some clucks and occasionally that will bring them back again. I haven't got the equipment or expertise to pull off a good honker hale so only use it sparingly on geese that are still quite a ways away. Mostly to get their attention. Then shut up. By all means if birds are coming to your decoys, SHUT UP. Duck calls are generally less tricky to operate to get good sound but I agree with above: less is better. I would never spend a lot of money on calls. It's not that important. I guess I must have a couple dozen goose bands in my sock drawer ... and three duck bands (I think ... at least two for sure). They are not wrapped on my call lanyard. If honkers will flare at the zipper on my jacket, they certainly are not going to like a glittering chain of bird bands moving up and down as I work the call. Very dumb.

Just keep it simple for now. You can go bankrupt like the rest of us later. Nice job getting after it

Picture is not of me. I only have a handful of bands, I just thought it was humorous.

Lots of funny (silly) stuff in this thread.

Beat up M1 Super 90 for me.
Ha who ever he is hunts more than I will in my lifetime based on that lanyard.

Back