Duck Decoys

I don't do facebook but I browse facebook "waterfowl garage sale " and "decoy trader" you should find what your looking for at a discount. FWIW I've found the avian decoys to be worth the extra money in realism and durability. Good luck this year it's an expensive addiction. Looking forward to seeing you post some successful hunts!

Last edited:
Saw this yesterday, found it cool and interesting.

I dint fo facebook but I browse facebook "waterfowl garage sale " and "decoy trader" you should find what your looking for at a discount. FWIW I've found the avian decoys to be worth the extra money in realism and durability. Good luck this year it's an expensive addiction. Looking forward to seeing you post some successful hunts!

That's interesting, I'll check it out!

I recommend SMALL decoys. Teal especially. The mallards seem to decoy to them just fine and they are a bunch lighter and easier to carry if you are slogging in on foot.

When I did go out for ducks, I never put out the full dozen but a few times. Found what worked was three pairs with several of those on a weighted cord to wiggle them. Distant birds would sometimes turn to me waiving a dark towel like a lunatic. My calling was minimal and badly done. The area was always well attended by other hunters who sky busted. Probably the most effective technique was to get away from the crowds and use piled up natural products for a blind. Also, very important, use modified or improved cylinder. Do not use full choke on ducks because not necessary at 25 yards.

Also, very important, use modified or improved cylinder. Do not use full choke on ducks because not necessary at 25 yards.
I made the switch late last season to IC. Before I was using a Kicks High Flyer modified and noticed I was missing a lot of close shots.
Switched to IC and saw notable improvement.

I would reccomend buying some large construction paper and patterninh your shotgun at multiple ranges with multiple chokes and shell combinations to find what your gun likes.
My Stoeger I just traded in liked hevi steel 3's, my new Weatherby likes cheap winchester 2's

I'm of a little different mindset than others, I prefer high quality decoys with a smaller spread. I rarely put out more than 8-12 mallards if I'm duck hunting. You will see a huge difference in quality decoys on a sunny day, cheap decoys shine bad in the sun, especially the green heads on the drakes. Right now I use middle grade GHG mallards, planning on upgrading to flocked head mallards, either dakota or higdon probably. I would recommend a slotted bag if you get good dekes, they will last a long time if taken care of. We have fully flocked honkers we have been using for almost 15 years that still look great, no touch ups necessary.

As a waterfowl guide I'll offer a few tips about buying decoys:

1) Go big. If the quality of your decoys is that of milk jugs, it can work extremely well if you have 200 of them with enough motion to make them look like a crazy feeding frenzy. Craigslist and Facebook is a great way in Dec/Jan to get older and cheaper decoys at 1 to 5 dollars per. You can build a massive spread pretty quickly on a budget.

2) Go for detail. The best decision I ever made on a decoy purchase was to buy 6 fully flocked axian black ducks. No I don't hunt out east and I've actually only shot 2 black ducks in my life here in Wisconsin. Regardless, these decoys do some amazing things. First off, the dark black flocking mimics more realistically the actual plummage of fall ducks from a distance. Have you ever looked at ducks across a pond before when it's not sunny out? They all just look blackish don't they? Secondly, the flocking does not reflect sunlight the same way painted coatings do. The result is zero shine for incoming ducks.

3) Jerk cord and or shaker style motion decoys. Motion on the water is absolute key to convincing wary birds it's safe. The right amount of it is key too and you'll just learn that over time. Screw the spinners...unless it's teal season. Then run 10 of them only only them and fill limits lol

If I had to go back and start fresh in the waterfowl world hunting water, I'm buying 6 axian black ducks and 2 shaker decoys. Will cover all your hunting desires for puddle ducks.

Between an old gift card, a Cabela's club member sale, I managed to convince myself with a dozen Avian X mallard decoys. My other bud who's tackling this duck hunting with me is grabbing some of the wind activated decoys. The wind was ripping along the coast last weekend, I imagine those decoys will work phenomenal.

I sold dozens of old G&H mallard decoys a season or 2 ago for $3 each along with 5 or 6 dozen carry-light geese (got more for those) and kept my Big Foots. I think I kept a dozen mallard, a dozen sprig and a dozen teal. If I am hunting alone over water I found more than I can carry in one or two decoy bags is too much work for me but I’m old so there is that. I kept a few dozen floater geese but I really prefer hunting dry fields I can drive out on to set.
Be realistic in the size of spread you want to work alone.

I've went a little crazy this year, got a dozen GHG XD mallards and 6 XD black ducks. We just got a few spots that hold pintails so I'll be getting some pintail decoys now. I'll end up with 78 duck decoys.

If you want to shoot widgeon and gadwall and pintail, I would suggest getting decoys for those. Yes, they'll decoy to mallards, but you'll be doing a lot more past shooting than not.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back