Duck Decoys

teej89

Hey guys, so this fall is my first attempt at hunting ducks (well setting up and not jump shooting). I have a couple spots picked out that were productive last year as well as playing the cards with the tidal areas on the west side of WA. My question is I'm going to purchase 12 decoys for use for the first month of the season as my dad is handing me off his couple dozen decoys and bag in November when we deer hunt.

What would you guys suggest? I don't want to break the bank on them (<$100?) and I figured I'll just attempt to carry them in my pack or my hockey bag if need be ha!

Mostly I'll be hunting shallow drainages and streams thru crop fields and low tides.

Hey guys, so this fall is my first attempt at hunting ducks (well setting up and not jump shooting). I have a couple spots picked out that were productive last year as well as playing the cards with the tidal areas on the west side of WA. My question is I'm going to purchase 12 decoys for use for the first month of the season as my dad is handing me off his couple dozen decoys and bag in November when we deer hunt.

What would you guys suggest? I don't want to break the bank on them (<$100?) and I figured I'll just attempt to carry them in my pack or my hockey bag if need be ha!

Mostly I'll be hunting shallow drainages and streams thru crop fields and low tides.
As soon as duck season starts, people start dumping their old decoys. Check out craigslist and I bet you can find a ton that might just need some paint touched up.

As soon as duck season starts, people start dumping their old decoys. Check out craigslist and I bet you can find a ton that might just need some paint touched up.

I was looking there and people are still asking $150+ for used decoys. I wouldn't care spending that if I didn't have a whole bunch coming in November.

GHG, Dakota Decoys and Avians are the brands I graduated to. If it's something you think you'll be in to and do for years, I'd invest in nicer decoys. Specifically, look for flocked heads on mallard decoys!

Cheaper options would be at Cabelas. Their name decoys will get you by.

Best of luck!

GHG, Dakota Decoys and Avians are the brands I graduated to. If it's something you think you'll be in to and do for years, I'd invest in nicer decoys. Specifically, look for flocked heads on mallard decoys!

Cheaper options would be at Cabelas. Their name decoys will get you by.

Best of luck!

Like these?

I'd just need to buy anchors for them right?

Like these?

Those will definitely get you by. Depending on how much you bang them around you should get atleast 2 or 3 seasons out of them.

You will have to buy anchors and line. You can build them yourself or buy pre-made. Personally I would go with pre-made texas rigs.
These can be relatively cheap or a little pricey depending on length, anchor weight and what the lines made of

Like these?

I'd recommend these

Yes, weights are required for most decoys.

I'm cleaning the garage and I might have some I can send you. Just pay shipping and they're yours!

In my duck killing opinion you can't go wrong with the Avian-X puddler pack! put some 4oz to 6 oz weights on 6ft. lines and you will get it done. I also would suggest using just the 12 all year long imo. Especially if you are hunting solo. If you are in SW Idaho look hit me up. Always looking for more guy's to join our small group of waterfowl hunters.
Matt

I'd recommend these

Yes, weights are required for most decoys.

I'm cleaning the garage and I might have some I can send you. Just pay shipping and they're yours!

Boomer, you have me interested. I'll PM you, I'd be interested in what shipping is.

In my duck killing opinion you can't go wrong with the Avian-X puddler pack! put some 4oz to 6 oz weights on 6ft. lines and you will get it done. I also would suggest using just the 12 all year long imo. Especially if you are hunting solo. If you are in SW Idaho look hit me up. Always looking for more guy's to join our small group of waterfowl hunters.
Matt

Thanks! I may take your up on that. I'll be in SE WA in 2 weeks chasing mulies. May drift over that way for some chukar later this fall as well. I'll have to take a peak what ID NR licenses are.

Good call about the dozen, just too much of a pain to set much more than a dozen?

What's the rational with quantities or is all a case by case basis? Like open water versus river versus flooded field?

I started off with really expensive decoys and I like them but the cheap ones do just as good. I would make sure you get decoys that are resting and feeding with a few that a active. I also hate hate Texas rigged decoys. I would get the ghg decoy line and keel weights. I would also get as many as you can carry. I normally set 12-24 decoys.

I rarely use more than a dozen decoys. Part of it depends on the water you're hunting. I used to think expensive decoys were a waste until I hunted birds that got a lot of pressure.

I honestly think setup and your blind are more important than number of decoys.

Thanks! I may take your up on that. I'll be in SE WA in 2 weeks chasing mulies. May drift over that way for some chukar later this fall as well. I'll have to take a peak what ID NR licenses are.

Good call about the dozen, just too much of a pain to set much more than a dozen?

What's the rational with quantities or is all a case by case basis? Like open water versus river versus flooded field?

70% is in creeks and small rivers which a dozen is perfect. Open water and lakes are more the better, exception is in January.
Matt

I have hunted over as many as 10 dozen decoys (goose and ducks) and hunted over as few as 3 decoys. It really depends what the birds want to do. I had pintails in the decoys last year over 1 drake pintail decoy. Flared off over my usual spread of a few dozen mallards and assorted others. I wish there was an easy answer to that decoy question “how many?” but it’s way more fun to figure out on your own.

I set a “mega-spread” a couple times a season, just to say I did it, but it’s not the norm.

Attachments

• 00E32754-F731-44A4-B107-582DB6D99D8C.jpeg
    00E32754-F731-44A4-B107-582DB6D99D8C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back