DS in Colorado

A-con

Got a cell phone call from old "Deerslayer".
Sounds like they were whaking & stacking.
I don't have all the details, but I think he has plenty of elk meat for the winter.
It will take him a few days to get home & unpak, then he says we can expect some pictures and a story.

Pretty dead-on Dan.... I don't have a lot of time right now, but I have been getting mail asking about the results of our trip, so here 'tis....

4 men...4 dead bulls...1 dead muley..and 9 days of the hardest hunting and packing I have ever been a part of. I'll get the pics in the 1-hour photo this afternoon and hopefully have some great shots up tonight.....
DS

DS... Looking foward to the Stories bud !! Kudos on the hunt, Sounds like you've been stacking up the Critters. HAve you been takig lessons from "the greek"
wink.gif

Always love the Stories and pics from ya, post away, and Welcome home !!!

Thanks for the warm hugs Moose Man, but watch those hands, would ya?!
mad.gif

wink.gif
tongue.gif

Yes sir.......I took an course under the Geek's tutilage this fall, and he not only taught me how to spell and finger my ass, but he also put me on lots of critters!....even if they were his family and kin!
tongue.gif
footinmouth.gif
hump.gif

......elk camp pix coming up.......

Congrats! Was Shinglemonkey able to make it? How'd the flatland crawling, Hoosier do?

Nice to have you back. Hope things are going well down south. FYI, I played baseball against the LSU QB in high school. That's as close as I ever got to being good!
wink.gif

No Shingle Monkey this time.......I sent him a bunch of e-mails the last month and never heard back......maybe Puglet had him bumped off???
eek.gif

I took 3 virgins....from left to right....

my brother, then me, our friends Rink and then Ray....
TheBoys.jpg

....my brother John started it off after I guided him into an early morning perch overlooking 5 feeding cows and this bull.....after an hour and a half within 300 yards of the group, the bull finally offed John the shot on his first ever elk hunt, opening morning right after daybreak.....what a way to start an elk hunting career!
drool.gif

JohnBull.jpg

....the next morning would bring our first snow......and the second of 4 bulls. I shot this bull at a little better than 500 yards as ranged, and thought him to be decent for an open unit in CO...

MarkBull.jpg

...with plenty of fresh elk on the ground, the kitchen help prepares elk filet minion' wrapped in bacon.....
dinner.jpg
...uh, waitor, do I look like I asked for that salad?!
fight.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-09-2003 16:03: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

...day 4......another beast hits the ground.....
CoMuley4.jpg

...and a tired hunter wanders into camp.

..with 3 down and 2 to go, a plan is set......
theplan.jpg

..and a solid plan it is....netting Rink his bull on day 5 and Ray his bull on day 6....both hunter's first ever bulls!
There you have a Co elk camp running 100% on bull elk with a bruiser Muley thrown in for good measure...numbers even Pug would be proud of
cool.gif

I was in on all 5 pack-outs and earned a real nice, fat check!
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-09-2003 16:44: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

..with everyone tagged out it was time pack out......riding one and toting horns on the other....
horseshorns.jpg

.......I want to dedicate this hunt to Puglet, who taught me everything I know...Puglet baby, this bud's for you!
hump.gif

sounds like you had a good trip, even though you didnt draw NM
wink.gif

damn nice muley

DS, those are some Fine criters.. your Deer looks like it's Bigger then my Biggest Elk ever !!! Congrats to you and the Gang. Glad Rink got ahold of ya
tongue.gif

Way to go 'Slayer. Looks like a banner camp and obviously there was lots of fun had, as well as plenty of slayin'. That is one fine muley you bagged. Good luck on finding his brother next year.
biggrin.gif

Bacon wraped filets ? Bacon wrapped filets !!
You never served bacon wrapped filets when I'm in camp.
Congratulations buddy, sounds like a major smak down, I'm sure the Co. DOW appreciates your helping out with the over population of elk. Did ya leave any for next year ?
Thats a great muley too ! You are a tag filling machine.

whacking and stacking?!? ..cool.
biggrin.gif
and it looks like that deer should have considered the Adkins diet.

Congrats on such a successful hunt.

right on DS! That fricking mulie looks like a real fat ass. I don't think that bull I got this year has anything over that buck on weight.
eek.gif
Man you guys did your part in propper game management. Fish and Game ought to cut you guys a fat check for reducing the amount of feed they have to put out at their feed stations when the elk migrate this year. Congrats to all!
elkgrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back