Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drought Conditions

Usually do...for the most part.

Everyone panics then we get a bunch of spring snow.

Updated info for Wyoming March 1, NRCS:

· Wyoming’s snowpack/snow water equivalents (SWEs) remained at 94% of median with a basin high of 111% (Shoshone) and a basin low of 31% (South Platte).

· Last year (WY2020) the state median average was at 117% -- 107% of median in WY2019.

drought indices and current snowpack aren't the same thing

determining whether or not you're in a drought is way more complicated than just sticking a yard stick in the snow

drought indices and current snowpack aren't the same thing

determining whether or not you're in a drought is way more complicated than just sticking a yard stick in the snow
Really?

Must have forgotten that from Watershed Management and Hydrology in College.

Added a bit to the post too...I knew someone's shorts would get in a knot.

Really?

Must have forgotten that from Watershed Management and Hydrology in College.

Added a bit to the post too...I knew someone's shorts would get in a knot.

i think we are in agreement. all i initially saw was "everyone panics and then we get bunch of spring snow" followed by snotel percentages

i think there was reason to panic before even knowing what the snowfall this winter was going to be, at least in colorado

i think we are in agreement. all i initially saw was "everyone panics and then we get bunch of spring snow" followed by snotel percentages

i think there was reason to panic before even knowing what the snowfall this winter was going to be, at least in colorado
Yes, absolutely in agreement...it would be even worse with below average snow pack.

I think panic mode starts about June if we don't get some significant precip.

I tried to find it and couldn't, but I read a study years ago out of the research center at Fort Keough. It talked about the timing of precipitation vs the amount of precipitation. It was pretty amazing how much affect the early fall rains had on next year's forage quantity and quality. Makes sense.

I've seen years where it looked like a super early runoff, and it started snowing for a couple more months. I've also seen the lower to mid level snowpack just get nuked in April It's a guessing game for sure.

I tried to find it and couldn't, but I read a study years ago out of the research center at Fort Keough. It talked about the timing of precipitation vs the amount of precipitation. It was pretty amazing how much affect the early fall rains had on next year's forage quantity and quality. Makes sense.

I've seen years where it looked like a super early runoff, and it started snowing for a couple more months. I've also seen the lower to mid level snowpack just get nuked in April It's a guessing game for sure.

big time guessing game.

it seems i'm only ever disappointed by snowfall anymore - whether for water supply, personal pleasure at watching it fall, or snowboarding. so i always go the pessimistic route ;)

Feeling sorry for you guys down in America.

Up here in God's Country it started raining 18 months ago and hasn't let up. November and December were the first two consecutive months that Ketchikan recorded more than 30" for each month. Our 2020 meteorological summer broke records also with more than 48" of rain. Maybe as La Nina weakens and turns neutral somebody will remember to turn the tap off up here.

Feeling sorry for you guys down in America.

Up here in God's Country it started raining 18 months ago and hasn't let up. November and December were the first two consecutive months that Ketchikan recorded more than 30" for each month. Our 2020 meteorological summer broke records also with more than 48" of rain. Maybe as La Nina weakens and turns neutral somebody will remember to turn the tap off up here.
If we got 30" in two consecutive months it would not be long and I would be waving to @Shangobango as I floated by.

Last edited:
If we got 30" in two consecutive months it would not be long and I would be waving to Shangobango as I floated by.
Here the landscape is adapted to it, so no big deal really. We all just shrug on the rain coat and get on with the day.

3rd year in a row I could drive into the Gila on roads normally not open til April. My rain parkas are dusty & dry. We did get some spring moisture last year.
Just hoping we get a decent monsoon season this year.

We’re in a bad way in California. Lake Casitas is about to dry up and it’s our local water source. Not that anybody on here cares at all about California but it’s bad.
The lack of moisture in the hills here in the bay area is tough to see. The ponds are at levels you would see pre-winter in dry years. The ground was so dry by the time we got the little rain we've had that everything is getting absorbed.

Things are good here in WA.
Record snowpack on the Cascade and Olympic mountains, and rivers running high.
We did all the weather go when it left the northwest?
I suspect Idaho and Montana have been wet.

the worst part, is when you look at colorado, the entirety of the colorado river basin from headwaters to state line in colorado is under either extreme or exceptional drought. then follow the river along it's course through utah and nothing changes.

the green river is under moderate drought or abnormally dry from it's headwaters to utah.

i mean, we already knew the situation on the colorado river was a bad one from here on out into the future, but why it gotta be gut punched it like this?
I just drove from the SLC area to western CO and back yesterday and it was bad. VERY little snow through the entire drive. I really fear what this summer is going to do in terms of fires and drought to the wildlife. There is not going to be enough feed for many of them if we don't get a few storms in the coming weeks.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back