MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Drawn for Wyoming unit 38 yaaaaay!!

Roosevelt

So I got drawn for unit 38 type1 nonresident. I've never hunted Wyoming ever. I've hunted nearly all the other western states with decent success. This area is about a 20 hour drive from home, so scouting is probably out unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My best friend is trying to find a unit 38 landowner tag, so he and I can hunt together. I'm not sure ,a Mt this point if there are even any landowner tags in the area. I'm not entirely sure how Wyoming landowner tags work.

I'm extremely excited about drawing this tag, from what I've read on the internet so far, it looks like a great unit

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Your buddy can tag along and help you, but landowner tags in Wyoming can only be used by the immediate family members.

Guide, Horses, Help

Thanks for the reply. I just got done with a 3+ hour googling session on unit 38 + the landowner tag situation. Can anyone point me in the direction of an outfitter that does drop camps and/or horse rental? I want to do everything I can do to put the odds in my favor. I hear the terrain is pretty rough and I have Lyme disease. I got that from a tick while hunting California black tail deer. (ALWAYS WEAR TICK SPRAY WHILE HUNTING!!). Even if you think you're too tuff to get sick (like I did!!)

Thanks for everyone's help. The people on this site are the most helpful anywhere!!!

T:Dhanks again!!

Consider joining Huntin' Fool at the $100 level. You can then request a list of some of the prior members that have hunted that specific Wyoming unit previously. May not be any though chances are they will have a few names and phone numbers. Some of the phone numbers will not be valid anymore and some of the WY residents may not be as helpful as non-residents on the list but I have had fantastic luck getting very specific information by calling people on these lists. If the phone number is no longer valid then try Googling the name and city (based on the area code and prefix of the number) to see if can find the hunter.

The better the tag, the more likely they will have names on file. The only time they have not had names was on lower tier units (I prefer to hunt more often rather than wait for decades to draw a primo elk or deer tag).

$100 is not an inexpensive amount though if you get a list of names that leads to tips on where to camp, if need a guide, where to get fuel, if have cell phone coverage, etc then to me is worth it. If they point you to where they saw critters then is even better. I find that non-residents are more likely to share critter information since they most likely will never get that tag again nor have friends who might get that same tag soon.

Good luck.

a couple of my bear hunting buddies did guided in unit 38 last year and all got big 6x6s,and could pick and chose bulls.The hunt was 6k I think .If interested I can get imfo from them.Personally, I think you could be successful without horses or a guide.But if you want to spend that kind of cash, I'll get u the imfo

Guide

Mixedbag...id really like the guides number. I usually do my own thing, but I might go guided this time....unless I put together enough info in the mean time. I have horses and everything, but they're not the best mountain pack horses...but they work in my area..I'm sure it's pretty rugged terrain that they're not entirely used to.

I keep reading about there being many local hunters in the unit at the same time, as well as campers and hikers. The last thing I'd want is to lose several days finding the good spots. Going with a good guide ensures I'd be in the critters immediately, but then again that's part of the fun for me...I dunno.

Thanks for the feedback...I REALLY appreciate it....please keep it coming;)

Score

Mixedbag...do you have an idea of what their bulls scored? Just curious...

Mixedbag...id really like the guides number. I usually do my own thing, but I might go guided this time....unless I put together enough info in the mean time. I have horses and everything, but they're not the best mountain pack horses...but they work in my area..I'm sure it's pretty rugged terrain that they're not entirely used to.

I keep reading about there being many local hunters in the unit at the same time, as well as campers and hikers. The last thing I'd want is to lose several days finding the good spots. Going with a good guide ensures I'd be in the critters immediately, but then again that's part of the fun for me...I dunno.

Thanks for the feedback...I REALLY appreciate it....please keep it coming;)

For 6k I'd take my chances solo . Take as many vacation days as you can and work your ass off and you'll get a bull , and save 6k:D:hump:

That hunt is usually in the 35-40% success range for filling the tag. If you have never hunted elk then you might fall under that rate. If you have never hunted that region, you might fall under that rate.

Can you be happy if hunt hard and have around 15-20% chance to fill the tag? If so, going solo will be more rewarding.

I mentioned the Hunting' Fool. $100 spent might help you reach some prior hunters to see what they suggest for a strategy to hunt the unit. Might increase your harvest odds quite a bit. Might find you will do much better with a guide and have an easier pack out if you get a bull on the ground.

I would caution that mountain terrain requires different horse training than hill country or flat lander use. Horses increase risk of injury. Poorly trained horses can end up killing you or them.

Also with the guide you will be able to hunt the wilderness areas. Non-res cannot hunt wilderness areas without a guide or resident that has guide permit

I had only 2 points :):cool:

Do you realize that you had no chance at all in the PP Draw that took 6PPs to even have a chance at a 38-1 tag and that you drew 1 of only 8 Random Draw tags that had 249 first choice applicants for a 3.2% chance of drawing? Unless a nonresident needed access into a wilderness area with a guide there is no way in haydes unless I was rich that I'd pay $6K to hunt in the Horns and there is no wilderness in unit 38. It's all south of there and why unit 38 is overrun with hunters, hikers, bikers, etc. with all the roads and open two tracks in that particular unit. I've hunted the BigHorns area for close to 20 years now and IMHO that is way too much money for a hunt in any unit up there, especially 38! JMO!

Last edited:
Area 38 is a good area for a do it yourself hunt. No grizzlies, really good access. There is no wilderness area in 38, so you don'the need a guide unless that is what you would like to do.

Area 38 is a good area for a do it yourself hunt. No grizzlies, really good access. There is no wilderness area in 38, so you don'the need a guide unless that is what you would like to do.

That's the one big problem with 38--really good access! Just a hint for the OP and that is to look at going into the northern 1/2 or 1/3 of the unit where there are the least access roads. The southern part has highway 14 going across the whole unit, as well as a bunch of Forest Service roads compared to the northern part. IMHO the closer you can go up towards the Montana border the better, but again that is JMO!

Maximize the tag. If you can do it yourself or with friends, do it. Guides are a definite option if you have the funds.

You can get skunked either way!

Last edited:
I'll get you the imfo.They hunted on a private ranch within unit 38.I don't know the scores but the 3 of them were all VERY happy.I really think you could do well alone in that unit.But I will contact them for imfo for you.

I hunted unit 37 last year which is just below 38 and most forest service roads were so washed out that very few hunters drove them and so you can get away from the crowd by driving on these roads as far as possible then walk them. i did not see all that many ATV s.

topgun is correct by stating the northeast part has the least accessible territory for the unit, But if there is any kind of a heavy snow forget about access unless you have a snow-machine. Most likely if there was snow the elk would have moved out anyhow. The way this year looks, it's most likely going to be hot and dry... The unit as a whole is very good hunting even with all the hunters that are within it, patience is the key, I never have not gotten a bull elk out of the unit. As far as a $6000 for a guided hunt, that is not out of the realm, specially for a private land hunt.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back