MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Drawing New Mexico just got harder, Even if only by a little.

Slm864

Read this the other day and found it interesting. I understand it is possibly only 1 tag but that tag historically went to someone and always had the chance to be me in my opinion, or someone other than me haha.

So will they round down to zero and not issue any NR tags at all in some areas or do they already do that?

I like it, Residents come first, period and its state law they get 84% of the tags.

Non Residents and outfitters should be thankful they get tags at all.

Went through the same thing in Wyoming and why the elk draw is happening after the commission sets the quota's...Residents were getting the shaft.

I wasn’t implying that I disagreed or didn’t like it. I was simply saying it would now be slightly harder to draw. I actually do feel that residents should be put first in their states. If you choose to live there then the odds should favor you. I myself have dabbled in the idea of relocation in the past year for better opportunities and have not stopped researching or considering options even now, but as a non resident of every western state I rely on the draw to hunt certain places.

BHA and NMWLF are behind this. The old system disadvantaged residents as in some cases the tag percentage was 83 percent instead of 84. It is extremely difficult for residents as well as nons to get drawn for good areas. The mantra here is quality over quantity which I do not necessarily agree with. They could have more tags for the draws if they re-allocated some of the OTC private landowners tags. I am of the opinion that fish and game are public resources and the management of game specifies is paid for with excise taxes we all pay that are derived from Robertson-Pittman. I don't need to go out and harvest a BC or Pope and Young. Just a nice bull or buck once in a while would be nice. I am at the age where sitting around and accumulating points is non-sequiter. However, NM should adopt a points system in my opinion.

I think what was hasn’t been mentioned is the R were getting their 84% of the original mandated quota and when it was rounded up they a fraction more. It’s only when they add to the total quota that it comes in a fraction lower. It’s really kinda of a petty issue to argue. And depending on how u see the math and equate the 84% it could be argued either way. They weren’t at all being slighted any tags of the original quota it’s just the total quota was going up and each party was getting a tag extra in some cases.

BHA and NMWLF are behind this. The old system disadvantaged residents as in some cases the tag percentage was 83 percent instead of 84. It is extremely difficult for residents as well as nons to get drawn for good areas. The mantra here is quality over quantity which I do not necessarily agree with. They could have more tags for the draws if they re-allocated some of the OTC private landowners tags. I am of the opinion that fish and game are public resources and the management of game specifies is paid for with excise taxes we all pay that are derived from Robertson-Pittman. I don't need to go out and harvest a BC or Pope and Young. Just a nice bull or buck once in a while would be nice. I am at the age where sitting around and accumulating points is non-sequiter. However, NM should adopt a points system in my opinion.
Points systems grossly work in favor of whoever is able to get in early. Look around the west and see how the points game has made “dream hunts” simply unattainable for someone just getting into the game in states like CO, WY, and UT. I’m 24 years old, If I wanted to draw 201 in CO from the point level I’m at now I’d be around 130 years old before I’d have a realistic chance. If that’s not broken I don’t know what is. How can it be more fair than everyone having the same chance as everyone else in a draw?

I can see the rationale behind a points system in the case of increasing revenue for managing agencies but when it comes to increasing opportunity it simply doesn’t work.

I think what was hasn’t been mentioned is the R were getting their 84% of the original mandated quota and when it was rounded up they a fraction more. It’s only when they add to the total quota that it comes in a fraction lower. It’s really kinda of a petty issue to argue. And depending on how u see the math and equate the 84% it could be argued either way. They weren’t at all being slighted any tags of the original quota it’s just the total quota was going up and each party was getting a tag extra in some cases.

Just one tag more in a high quality area with a 10 tag hunt for example, makes a helluva difference.

I disagree with it being a petty issue, statute needs to be followed, and a tag here and a tag there adds up to a bunch of tags.

In the case of Wyoming it was nearly 400 tags that Residents were being shorted. Petty? Well if you're one of the 400 either getting tags, or not getting tags, they would probably disagree with your petty comment.

Points systems grossly work in favor of whoever is able to get in early. Look around the west and see how the points game has made “dream hunts” simply unattainable for someone just getting into the game in states like CO, WY, and UT. I’m 24 years old, If I wanted to draw 201 in CO from the point level I’m at now I’d be around 130 years old before I’d have a realistic chance. If that’s not broken I don’t know what is. How can it be more fair than everyone having the same chance as everyone else in a draw?

I can see the rationale behind a points system in the case of increasing revenue for managing agencies but when it comes to increasing opportunity it simply doesn’t work.
If you are an unlucky SOB like me, then you may never get a decent hunt. 😎

It looks like now
Just one tag more in a high quality area with a 10 tag hunt for example,
Just one tag more in a high quality area with a 10 tag hunt for example, makes a helluva difference.
I understand that. But I guess my point was the R were already getting the fractional tag rounded up. So they weren’t having a tag taken away. It’s because they also issued a another fractional tag to NR in some cases that it distorted that Total 84%. The way I see it now since the total quota won’t be changed the R will actually get a tad more than the 84% allotment because their % will always be rounded. The diff will come from NR and O in some cases they will now get a bit less than 10% or 6%. I think I’m getting the math right but I could be off

I like it, Residents come first, period and its state law they get 84% of the tags.

Non Residents and outfitters should be thankful they get tags at all.

Went through the same thing in Wyoming and why the elk draw is happening after the commission sets the quota's...Residents were getting the shaft.
Your opinion is an unpopular one, and I agree with it 100%. Btw, what % of all tags go to NRs in Wy?

I disagree with it being a petty issue, statute needs to be followed, and a tag here and a tag there adds up to a bunch of tags.

In the case of Wyoming it was nearly 400 tags that Residents were being shorted. Petty? Well if you're one of the 400 either getting tags, or not getting tags, they would probably disagree with your petty comment.
well I’m just saying the R in NM weren’t getting getting less than the 84% of the original quota. They were always rounded up. So they got more than the original quota but because so were the NR rounded up and their % was so small it distorted the overall % a bit. But how I see it now is the R will actually get a bit over 84% because theirs will alway be rounded up and only when the total quota won’t be affected will the NR or O get the tag. So after all the dust settles in some cases the O or NR may get a fraction less on some hunts and overall the R will get above 84. But depending on how u see the math etc it can manipulated from several views. WY was a total different issue. Hell WY created their own issue! It was totally WY setting their own draw for NR early! I know of no other state that has diff draw deadline for R and NR? Only WY that I’m aware of. And we all know why it happened. Now did it affect R getting tags yes it did. But the Residents of WY can thank their Game and fish for that in my opinion. I didn’t say it was petty for WY. I said this was petty which it is. They are arguing over a simple piece of a % which they were getting the tag rounded up anyway. The only thing happening now is the NR or O will get a tag less.

Your opinion is an unpopular one, and I agree with it 100%. Btw, what % of all tags go to NRs in Wy?
16% of limited quota for elk or 7250 total tags is how I understand it in the original draw. I guess that doesn’t include the leftover draw

16% of limited quota for elk or 7250 total tags is how I understand it in the original draw. I guess that doesn’t include the leftover draw
Doesn’t include red price cow tags either. Total number of NR elk tags is usually around 13,000 in any given year

16% of limited quota for elk or and 7250 total full price elk tags is how I understand it in the original draw. I guess that doesn’t include the leftover draw

Fixed it.

NR's get 16% of the cow/calf tags in addition to 7250...

well I’m just saying the R in NM weren’t getting getting less than the 84% of the original quota. They were always rounded up. So they got more than the original quota but because so were the NR rounded up and their % was so small it distorted the overall % a bit. But how I see it now is the R will actually get a bit over 84% because theirs will alway be rounded up and only when the total quota won’t be affected will the NR or O get the tag. So after all the dust settles in some cases the O or NR may get a fraction less on some hunts and overall the R will get above 84. But depending on how u see the math etc it can manipulated from several views. WY was a total different issue. Hell WY created their own issue! It was totally WY setting their own draw for NR early! I know of no other state that has diff draw deadline for R and NR? Only WY that I’m aware of. And we all know why it happened. Now did it affect R getting tags yes it did. But the Residents of WY can thank their Game and fish for that in my opinion. I didn’t say it was petty for WY. I said this was petty which it is. They are arguing over a simple piece of a % which they were getting the tag rounded up anyway. The only thing happening now is the NR or O will get a tag less.

Any other State Statutes you ignore?

Statute's, regulations, etc. that impact our wildlife and hunting fishing opportunity are not petty and need to be followed.

If not, then why the Statute to begin with?

Fixed it.

NR's get 16% of the cow/calf tags in addition to 7250...

This is incorrect because nonresidents in ineligible for cow/calf elk draw tags.
"I am trying to apply for a cow elk hunt but do not see the cow elk hunt codes. Only New Mexico residents are eligible to apply for cow elk licenses."

This also is likely incorrect as residents are eligible for up to 94% of the tags if they choose to contract an outfitter.
" 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter (this does not prohibit nonresidents in the 6 percent pool from contracting with an outfitter if they are lucky in the draw). "

I

Any other State Statutes you ignore?

Statute's, regulations, etc. that impact our wildlife and hunting fishing opportunity are not petty and need to be followed.

If not, then why the Statute to begin with?
Lol no I don’t ignore any state statute that I’m aware of. This is really a complicated math issue honestly. And It could be seen from a lot of diff angles as far as the math. But my whole pt was they weren’t getting less than the original quota set. It is in my opinion something small to take as far as it was taken. The R will not got a single additional tag because if this. Fact. It’s simple math. The only diff now is the NR and O will get a fraction less than 10% or 6% overall and the R will get a fraction more than 84%. That is a fact as well. They were following the statue in my opinion and getting their allotted %. But because they manipulated the overall quota it slightly threw off the %s. But this Will not give the R any additional tags. It just takes away a few for the NR.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back