Drawing New Mexico just got harder, Even if only by a little.

This is incorrect because nonresidents in ineligible for cow/calf elk draw tags.
"I am trying to apply for a cow elk hunt but do not see the cow elk hunt codes. Only New Mexico residents are eligible to apply for cow elk licenses."

This also is likely incorrect as residents are eligible for up to 94% of the tags if they choose to contract an outfitter.
" 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter (this does not prohibit nonresidents in the 6 percent pool from contracting with an outfitter if they are lucky in the draw). "

I
We were talking about WY in that statement

I’m 24 years old, If I wanted to draw 201 in CO from the point level I’m at now I’d be around 130 years old before I’d have a realistic chance. If that’s not broken I don’t know what is. How can it be more fair than everyone having the same chance as everyone else in a draw?
Think of it this way, by the time you are my age you will have a minimum of 27 points and I will be too old to hunt, so I won't be taking your tag. Or you could put in for an easier tag to pull and go hunting. Most of the people ahead of you in 201 will never draw that tag either.....but some, including you, may. You have lots of time to draw good tags in the West. Cheer up, you have time on your side.

Damn! I am glad that I got some NM hunts in, while I lived there! This allocation/points thing has totally shut down my desire to leave home to hunt. Shutting off the cow hunts to nr draw took me totally out of the equation for NM. I had some good hunts there. Arizona is just as bad. If I could get a cow tag for a reasonable price, I may consider going back to my old stomping grounds with lots of help from resident buddies. Not gonna happen and I am getting too old to g.a.s. I feel sorry for you young guys (and old) that are trying to stir up a hunt in some of these states. Sad.

I am still trying to talk myself into another Wyoming cow hunt, but not sure it will happen. At least it is still doable.

This is incorrect because nonresidents in ineligible for cow/calf elk draw tags.
"I am trying to apply for a cow elk hunt but do not see the cow elk hunt codes. Only New Mexico residents are eligible to apply for cow elk licenses."

This also is likely incorrect as residents are eligible for up to 94% of the tags if they choose to contract an outfitter.
" 84 percent of the licenses for each hunt to New Mexico residents, 10 percent to residents or nonresidents who’ve contracted with an outfitter and 6 percent to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter (this does not prohibit nonresidents in the 6 percent pool from contracting with an outfitter if they are lucky in the draw). "

I
Talking about WYOMING...not NM...

BHA and NMWLF are behind this. The old system disadvantaged residents as in some cases the tag percentage was 83 percent instead of 84. It is extremely difficult for residents as well as nons to get drawn for good areas. The mantra here is quality over quantity which I do not necessarily agree with. They could have more tags for the draws if they re-allocated some of the OTC private landowners tags. I am of the opinion that fish and game are public resources and the management of game specifies is paid for with excise taxes we all pay that are derived from Robertson-Pittman. I don't need to go out and harvest a BC or Pope and Young. Just a nice bull or buck once in a while would be nice. I am at the age where sitting around and accumulating points is non-sequiter. However, NM should adopt a points system in my opinion.
I disagree due to pple that start hunting at a older age, and that can't hunt very many more years. It gives them as much opportunity as everyone else if there's not a point system, where you haft to build your points up for some hunts for so many years. Just a thought..not here to pick arguments

Any other State Statutes you ignore?

Statute's, regulations, etc. that impact our wildlife and hunting fishing opportunity are not petty and need to be followed.

If not, then why the Statute to begin with?

The state statute actually said that fractions of tags would be rounded up for nonresidents and outfitter tags if they were 0.5 or greater with the ability to add up to 1 tag for each group for that reason. The wildlife commission decided to ignore that statute as of the October meeting.

I like it, Residents come first, period and its state law they get 84% of the tags.

Non Residents and outfitters should be thankful they get tags at all.

Went through the same thing in Wyoming and why the elk draw is happening after the commission sets the quota's...Residents were getting the shaft.

I hope my home state has reciprocity to those states who make it difficult for non-residents. I know it would get complex but having the same odds to come here as I do to go there would only be fair.

I hope my home state has reciprocity to those states who make it difficult for non-residents. I know it would get complex but having the same odds to come here as I do to go there would only be fair.
If every western state goes to a similar structure then it almost eliminates all non residents from hunting the west. The vast majority of people who will always get to enjoy western hunting will do so because they live there. I know a lot of people would be in favor of that but opinions tend to change if your on the outside looking in. If life leads you away from the west temporarily it would really stink to not have the chance to hunt each year. I like states with the draw but I’m thankful for the ones that offer OTC so I can hunt each year.

The state statute actually said that fractions of tags would be rounded up for nonresidents and outfitter tags if they were 0.5 or greater with the ability to add up to 1 tag for each group for that reason. The wildlife commission decided to ignore that statute as of the October meeting.

That was my question, if the math led to NR having 0.6 tags for a given unit, and awarding that 1 tag led to R getting slightly less than 84%, would they award 0 NR tags or award 1 NR tag and just award enough R tags to ensure the 84% was met? That would, of course, possibly mean more animals taken than the biologists would intend. And this is important to know going into the draw so u dont waste a choice on a tag u literally have 0% chance of drawing.

Not directed at u Bluffgruff, but I dont think anybody is arguing states dont have the right to manage wildlife and allocate tags as they wish. But disagreeing with how they do it isn't tantamount to advocating for federal oversight (as if that were possible). I've disagreed with my own state when they further restricted opportunity for NRs.

If every western state goes to a similar structure then it almost eliminates all non residents from hunting the west. The vast majority of people who will always get to enjoy western hunting will do so because they live there. I know a lot of people would be in favor of that but opinions tend to change if your on the outside looking in. If life leads you away from the west temporarily it would really stink to not have the chance to hunt each year. I like states with the draw but I’m thankful for the ones that offer OTC so I can hunt each year.

Exactly, go ahead and cut the NRs out. And when the fed gov starts talking about selling your public lands, you can count on eastern hunters to shrug their shoulders and say "whatever". I have a hard enough time already preaching to the people around me why they should care. "Well you should care about ecology and wildlife regardless of your ability to hunt." Yeah, I may feel that way but Joe Fillthefriezer down the street probably doesn't.

Then, suddenly, the residents will whine because their permit fees will go up to cover the lack of non-residents to pay the Game and Fish bills. You cannot have it both ways, for sure.

I disagree due to pple that start hunting at a older age, and that can't hunt very many more years. It gives them as much opportunity as everyone else if there's not a point system, where you haft to build your points up for some hunts for so many years. Just a thought..not here to pick arguments
What you say certainly has merit. I came to New Mexico from SD some years ago now. The point system in SD just bloody well works. I hunted my own property for whitetail but I had no problem getting premier tags to hunt public ground every other season or so with points. As a resident I was getting drawn every year for 3 pronghorn tags. Now that I am a non-resident, they are letting me keep my resident points I just have to get in the draw as a non-resident. I get a free deer tag every year here in NM but can't get drawn, go fiqure.

There are no states that would agree with that if you're a Wyoming Resident!

Most states don't give away 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, 20% of their LQ deer and pronghorn, 16% of their LQ elk tags...reciprocity you say? Well hell, that's the test of all tests if you ask me...I'm in.

Reactions: Oak

State statute also says 84% of the tags go to residents...sounds like your state should get their chit together.

There are no states that would agree with that if you're a Wyoming Resident!

Most states don't give away 25% of their sheep tags, 20% of their moose tags, 20% of their LQ deer and pronghorn, 16% of their LQ elk tags...reciprocity you say? Well hell, that's the test of all tests if you ask me...I'm in.

I hope my state makes it super easy for Wyoming folks to hunt here. With those odds I may just have to start driving a little further and hunting Wyoming. I have been thinking that WY may be where i end up after the youngest graduates High School. It is really down to there and Montana. I love Texas but the summers and lack of real mountains and public land sucks.

State statute also says 84% of the tags go to residents...sounds like your state should get their chit together.
Guess they should only make hunt quotas that are easily divisible by the current allocation percentages so that we have to find something else to argue about. That 84% is open to interpretation, could easily read "84% of base quota" and fix the resident whining. Colorado has a 50/50 split on elk tags overall, and no cap on antelope, so I will complain about all these non-res OTC elk hunters ruining it for me by shooting MY elk.

having a couple hundred thousand extra folks in the draw all of a sudden does not help either,if your a R and want all the tags for free anyway...lol

Guess they should only make hunt quotas that are easily divisible by the current allocation percentages so that we have to find something else to argue about. That 84% is open to interpretation, could easily read "84% of base quota" and fix the resident whining. Colorado has a 50/50 split on elk tags overall, and no cap on antelope, so I will complain about all these non-res OTC elk hunters ruining it for me by shooting MY elk.
This was my whole point in my posts earlier. They r bitching over nothing. Like I said, this will result in no R getting any additional tags. It just takes away a few from the dismissal 6% already allocated

This was my whole point in my posts earlier. They r bitching over nothing. Like I said, this will result in no R getting any additional tags. It just takes away a few from the dismissal 6% already allocated

If the odds are already dismal, adding a few tags in violation of statute wont help.

Either change statute or clarify in regulation, don't whine because there needs to be compliance.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back