Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Draw and points question

I noticed on the draw system , non resident can put in for regular draw, special draw and preference points draw.
my question is if I put in for regular non resident draw or special draw will those draws not burn/use my preference points?

There is one draw, which goes through a lottery phase and then a pref point phase. For the pref point phase you can pay extra money (special draw) to (on paper) need less pref points to draw.

If you apply for a tag you lose your points, is kinda the bottom-line.

Full explanation:

There is one draw, which goes through a lottery phase and then a pref point phase. For the pref point phase you can pay extra money (special draw) to (on paper) need less pref points to draw.

If you DRAW a tag ON YOUR FIRST CHOICE you lose your points, is kinda the bottom-line.

Full explanation:

yes, don't draw 1st choice

There are 3 draws in Wyoming for Elk/Deer/Antelope; Regular price, Special price, and reduced price.
There are two phases of the Regular price and Special price; the preference point phase (1st choice only) then everybody goes thru the random phase (your 1st choice is still active in the random phase but you are sorted by a new random number).
Drawing 1st choice in either the PP side or the random side of the Special or Regular will use your points.
They go thru the PP phase then the random phase with all 1st choices before they move to the random phase with all 2nd choices.
The Reduce price draw does not use points.

You need to look at the random draw odds; the quota remaining and the number of remaining 1st choice apps will show your odds of drawing your 1st choice in that random draw. The quota minus the 1st choice apps will give you a remaining quota for the 2nd choice apps and you can determine your 2nd choice odds from that number.

Last edited:
If I don't enter draw do I loose points or is that just for sheep ? read that if you don't enter draw for 2 years you loose ?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to Hunt Talk and I'm going on my first antelope hunt this fall (assuming I draw a tag). I'll be doing a party application and sharing preference points with a friend, but would like to start building my own points for future hunts.

The WY Game and Fish website states, "Non-resident applicants will no longer have the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer, and antelope." Whether I draw a tag or not, will my party application prevent me from purchasing for my own (1st) preference point later this fall? I'm not applying for any other species this year, but because I now have a Sportsperson ID will I be able to apply for others species' preference points, or will I just be limited to antelope since that the species I applied for? I would like to build points for other species also if that's an option.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to Hunt Talk and I'm going on my first antelope hunt this fall (assuming I draw a tag). I'll be doing a party application and sharing preference points with a friend, but would like to start building my own points for future hunts.

The WY Game and Fish website states, "Non-resident applicants will no longer have the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer, and antelope." Whether I draw a tag or not, will my party application prevent me from purchasing for my own (1st) preference point later this fall? I'm not applying for any other species this year, but because I now have a Sportsperson ID will I be able to apply for others species' preference points, or will I just be limited to antelope since that the species I applied for? I would like to build points for other species also if that's an option.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
If you are successful in the draw for antelope, you will be unable to purchase an antelope preference point. You will be able to purchase preference points for other species that you did not apply for or draw a tag for

Thanks! If I draw my 2nd or 3rd choice unit, I'd then be able to purchase an antelope preference point though, correct?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back