Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Drahthaar team rounding out nicely

Was able to select a very nice male puppy 3 years ago. Bane and I have hunted extensively the last 3 falls. He was successfully tested through the various VDD tests in his first year. Really a good dog to hit a field with. 81 pounds at season end. His pic here:
QapvrL.jpg
[/URL]

Same breeder had a particularly good litter planned for this past fall and I was offered a first or second male pick. Ended up with first choice. The stud dog had a very good look to him, his pic here:
TESOTJ.jpg
[/URL]

And the mom was the 2015 Armbruster Champion. So liking the odds that all these pups will be strong. The mom was sisters with my dog's mom. So I guess they are cousins. Anyway, training starts early in 2020 and we'll have a functional yet still with much to learn puppy come fall. Be nice to give Bane a break on longer hunts.

Here is pic of little guy:
nR676F.jpg
[/URL]

I had a Drahthaar almost 40 years ago, still the best looking breed out there IMO. Both those dogs of yours look great. What's the new guys name?

I’ve had Drahts for over thirty years. Hard to switch to another breed when you get used to what they can, will, and want to do for you.

Congratulations on the new pup!

We all are looking forward to progress reports!

JLS, They are out of Cheyenne, WY. Vom Heuerhaus. They do one litter about every year, sometimes every other year. Great family and they really socialize the pups a ton.

Would love to road trip for chukar someday. We've only ever done pheasants, sharpies, bobs, and ducks.

I've had a VDD at my side for better than 20 years. My current male is 11 and showing his age. In my experience they have been the most rewarding and capable hunting and companion dogs in my life. I will be in the puppy market soon. Best of luck with your dogs.

The local Drahthaar chapters are very active. Locally we have training days starting in Feb and going thru August every month. Training is centered on everything the pups will need to know to turn into functional hunters. Stuff like hare tracking seems odd, but it actually rounds them out nicely and keeps their brains working. If a guy hits those training days and does a bit of work on his own, these dogs have the genetics to be outstanding hunters and companions.

Google VDD-GNA and you'll see a lot of info on them. Also on instagram, #drahthaar and #drahthaaraddiction have tons of photos.

I'm in the "wish I'd have gone with these dogs years ago" boat - training/hunting my second drahtaar (first died young from an accident). He's 13 months old and already hunted MT (sharptail), Texas (quail and hogs), Kansas (quail and pheasants), NC (lots of stuff), Louisiana (ducks) and Michigan (grouse),,,,we go into VJP here in a few weeks - don't know how we will do, but we sure have had fun getting to this point

E625220F-1C99-49CD-ACD6-A2C2600D548E.jpegThis is Bevy. She belong to a buddy of mine who splits his time between Alaska and Pennsylvania. This was her first season and I had the pleasure of following her around in Montana this fall and watching her fetch a goose in Pa... she’s just learning it all but she’s a natural hunter...and a killer. I’m a Labrador man but spending time with her has really made me rethink the versatile hunting dog.

Training days are a great way to review the breed at work. If anyone is interested in the breed, I'd suggest taking a Saturday and watching a bunch of them work. They seem to be very consistent.

Here is my nine year old girl Wilma, I love her to bits, and she's been an outstanding companion and hunting partner. She's still going strong and will hunt herself ragged if I don't stop her, incredible amount of drive. We had thought about adding a pup, but ultimately decided to wait. She doesn't love other dogs, and prefers her space from pups, so when the time comes we'll start fresh from scratch. I had labs growing up, but will now always have at least one Drahthaar. I'd like to own a setter as well, maybe as a partner to the next pup.

RIRFQUq.jpg

WVw8lXQ.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back