Dove opener

We had a great hunt, had a weak cold front so the weather was comfy. We have a largish hunt and then cook and enjoy a few cold ones. We had 34 guns and killed 434 birds, with several youngsters getting their first limits, including my 12 yo. Now it’s time for a nap!
Way to go dad!

That brought a smile to me remembering that my dad (who did not know any better) put me afield on my first dove opener with a single shot, bolt action .410 bore in full choke. I did not hit any birds. I later switched to an Iver Johnson Champion break-open 12 in Improved Cylinder. It kicked like hell, but I got birds.

I don't know what happened to the .410, but I still have the Iver Johnson. It still kicks like hell.
That .410 was lights out on rabbits. It actually had front and rear sights. It was Winchester Model 41. I wish I still had that one.

Rub it in I did not make it out daughter 4 had a doctors appointment 9:00 am and boy 6 has soccer practice at 5:30 which I must attend both today. Great job glad you got out and got it done. Is 9/1 opener dove season in every state?

Rub it in I did not make it out daughter 4 had a doctors appointment 9:00 am and boy 6 has soccer practice at 5:30 which I must attend both today. Great job glad you got out and got it done. Is 9/1 opener dove season in every state?
It is in Wisconsin

We had a great hunt, had a weak cold front so the weather was comfy. We have a largish hunt and then cook and enjoy a few cold ones. We had 34 guns and killed 434 birds, with several youngsters getting their first limits, including my 12 yo. Now it’s time for a nap!
I could hunt a lifetime in my "honey hole" and probably never even see 434 dove. I guess it's not much of a honey hole huh? Nice job.

Just curious and I'm being serious...how many shells do you think 34 guns went through?

No way to even guess! My son used about 4.5 boxes for his 15. It was like the old days for us, we harvest corn less and less before the 1st, so hunts with this many birds aren’t as common as they once were. We are experimenting with growing industrial hemp and received a seed variety that was mislabeled. The doves found it about 3-4 weeks ago and we harvested about 50 acres last week and the hunt was on. There were still hundreds of birds when we were done. The game warden that checked me at 7 am told me it looked like Argentina!

No way to even guess! My son used about 4.5 boxes for his 15. It was like the old days for us, we harvest corn less and less before the 1st, so hunts with this many birds aren’t as common as they once were. We are experimenting with growing industrial hemp and received a seed variety that was mislabeled. The doves found it about 3-4 weeks ago and we harvested about 50 acres last week and the hunt was on. There were still hundreds of birds when we were done. The game warden that checked me at 7 am told me it looked like Argentina!
You deserve it. I don't envy you farmers one bit. Drought, rain, wind, hail, flooding, insects, etc. You guys just seem to never get a break literally and figuratively. Hope your harvest, both crop and game are plentiful for you this year.

So they like the weed?

Georgia starts Saturday

Drove by a state leased field this afternoon and there were 30+ trucks on it.
Just kept driving.

I believe it's time to knock on some doors once corn starts getting cut

Picked up a limit this afternoon. Not a ton of birds but enough. Probably could have finished earlier if I hadn’t been busy shooting too many pics.😀

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back