Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dove opener

51424039299_3a134ab964_6k.jpg

For the first time that I know of, georgia opened their season at daylight Me and my dad both got a limit in the watermelon field, plus three from a less lucky friend.20210904_105808.jpg

Friday my son tells me a member of one of the clubs he shot against ,Skeet, last weekend called and want us to refinish a set of front doors on there farm house down in Va. Jarrod told them we take off that day and he was going Dove hunting. Jarrod ,my son, must have told them that the Dove hunting in Md is terrible and they invited us to hunt there fields in the afternoon on Monday. So we get a nice $3,500 job into the shop on our day off and a good Dove hunt ta boot. I know he's going to take a few $ off the price.

The pasture behind me sounds like a war zone the first couple weeks of september. My dogs won't potty when they hear gun shots and end up peeing and pooping in my dining room after running back to the house with the gun shots. That ruined my enjoyment and participation in dove hunting.

Report from western Illinois public land dove fields on the opener 9-1-21: there were a lot of birds, a lot of shooting, a lot of missing. I managed to kill 7 doves, my buddy managed 4. Steel shot was required which reduced take as I hit at least 4 birds that I saw significant feathers get knocked out and they kept flying. We were also on the slower end of the field, guys closer to where the birds wanted to be on the other end of the field shot limits or close to them. Overall great day and wasn't overly hot.

Report from western Illinois public land dove fields on the opener 9-1-21: there were a lot of birds, a lot of shooting, a lot of missing. I managed to kill 7 doves, my buddy managed 4. Steel shot was required which reduced take as I hit at least 4 birds that I saw significant feathers get knocked out and they kept flying. We were also on the slower end of the field, guys closer to where the birds wanted to be on the other end of the field shot limits or close to them. Overall great day and wasn't overly hot.
I've noticed the same issue with steel shot out of my 20 gauge. Even with #6 at 1500fps I get way more cripples than I ever did when I was still allowed to use lead.

No way to even guess! My son used about 4.5 boxes for his 15. It was like the old days for us, we harvest corn less and less before the 1st, so hunts with this many birds aren’t as common as they once were. We are experimenting with growing industrial hemp and received a seed variety that was mislabeled. The doves found it about 3-4 weeks ago and we harvested about 50 acres last week and the hunt was on. There were still hundreds of birds when we were done. The game warden that checked me at 7 am told me it looked like Argentina!
What is the hemp used for? My son is 14 and big into Civil Air Patrol. He has started raising a few feeder pigs to make some money instead of a getting a job because he does so much CAP stuff. He wants to plant an acre or two of corn and milo to feed his pigs because finding non gmo grain is tough around here. I told him that he would have a nice little dove spot if he did that

What is the hemp used for? My son is 14 and big into Civil Air Patrol. He has started raising a few feeder pigs to make some money instead of a getting a job because he does so much CAP stuff. He wants to plant an acre or two of corn and milo to feed his pigs because finding non gmo grain is tough around here. I told him that he would have a nice little dove spot if he did that
The hemp is industrial, that is, it’s raised for it’s fiber and used for rope, composite lumber, and whatever else they make from hemp fibers. This was a seed variety we got by mistake though. Still researching if it has value in our area. The doves love it though. I bet we’ve shot over 650 off of 50 acres so far.

The hemp is industrial, that is, it’s raised for it’s fiber and used for rope, composite lumber, and whatever else they make from hemp fibers. This was a seed variety we got by mistake though. Still researching if it has value in our area. The doves love it though. I bet we’ve shot over 650 off of 50 acres so far.
I didn’t know if it had a feed value for animals or not. Neighbor just picked up a little 2 acre spot the guy wanted to pay him to brush hog it. Owner said he could plant it if he wanted too. So we might put it in milo for next year

I just got done with my California opener, had twelve birds by 11 am decided not to go for a limit because it was already hitting 103 degrees out. I will be flying down to Texas for their regular-season opener the week after next.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back