Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Dove opener.

I was able to help a first time hunter get out to harvest a dove and jackrabbit this morning.
One of my hunting buddies was able to go through all the firearm safety considerations with him and use it as a reat learning experience.
The last two photos are my favorite way to enjoy dove.
Half a slice of bacon wrapped around one or two slices of water chestnut and a dove breast. It really lets you enjoy the doves' natural flavor.
20200907_071702.jpg20200907_075036.jpg20200907_112207.jpg20200907_112140.jpg

Obviously, I'm happy for all y'all success, but it only makes my experience that much more frustrating. We hunted the same public field we've been hunting for a couple of years now (Moriarty Open Gate Property near Albuquerque, NM) and saw only a half dozen birds or so. Serves me right, I "promised" a buddy we'd see birds, never doing that again.
I've been reading up on NM quite a bit since drawing a mulie tag. It looks like Bosque del Apache and La Joya have some waterfowl hunting. Does that include dove?

Hooray for dove openers.

GA opened Saturday. 7 hunters on a 40 acre corn field, we knocked down about 50 birds. My girlfriend got her first dove, I had no idea how excited she'd be. Seems she's hooked.

Even better, we got her stepdad out into the field, he's been dealing with a neck injury and nerve damage from a car accident a few years ago. This was the first hunting of any sort he'd done since prior to the accident, as he's just now able to do things like this. He shot remarkably well, knocked down 9 or 10. Good feelings and smiles all around.

Hunted Yuma for the first time, last Friday and Saturday. Started out a bit slow, had to do some driving around to find a good spot for the three of us. Found a nice little spot that provided two of us with limits. Took out a new guy for his very first hunt ever, he seemed to have a good time and ended up getting a few birds also. I'm hoping we have added a new hunter to the ranks.

This was from last Monday on a 2 hour shoot. Will be going back at tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

• 126D9012-2A2B-47F9-9ABD-C6E1B3DEAC39.jpeg
    126D9012-2A2B-47F9-9ABD-C6E1B3DEAC39.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Finally found a spot with big (30+) groups of dove flying south of Austin. Looking good for those hunters in South TX who opened up yesterday.

KIMG0271.JPG

We've still able to find the birds in south central KS. Corn is being picked so went and sat by a freshly picked field. Saw an absolute ton of birds, unfortunately for me, the wind was howling and my two monsters were out dinkin' around in the field. Birds mad a wide swath around us and at maximum throttle. Even with all the commotion we had ample opportunity to limit out, that didn't happen. Walked away with a hard earned 5.

On another note, I managed to bust the extractor on the Ithaca 51, figured it out after the very first shot. So I was essentially shooting a single shot with manual reload. It showed in my bird count.

My son and I had our dove opener last night.

We ended up with 17 birds between us and we didn't walk out the door until about 6:30 pm and were back before 8:00.

It was pretty thick there for a bit and he ended up shooting 2 out of the air with one shot which he was pretty proud of.

The dog had a hard time keeping up, at one time we had 4 birds on the ground and she couldn't figure out what to do.

We see the e
Anyone else out? Thunderstorms delayed this morning here in SW Oklahoma but things have cleared off and the action is heating up. Been at it a hour and have 3 we won't discuss how many it should be.
We see the empty box by the three birds..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back