PEAX Equipment

Double beard

JCS

That is... 1 beard on each turkey.

These 2 were shot from the same flock. They have different colors than each other.

Very windy this morning. I had to look several hours before I saw a group. 4 gobblers and 6 hens. They were just feeding along. I got ahead of them and gave a little hen talk. The group split into 2 groups and 1 gobbler came to me. 10 yards away and boom he was down.

The other turkeys were over the bank and just kept feeding like nothing was wrong. I gave a little hen call and here comes another gobbler. Bang. Both gobblers fell within 20 yards of each other.

Another turkey year in MT and I am done by noon the 1st day.

One of these days I will have to start smiling in my pictures!!

Attachments

• turkey double.JPG
    turkey double.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 432
Love it when a plan comes together. Sooooo much easier to get them to come to you when you are where they want to be anyway.

I snuck out for a couple hours between rain squalls and called two short beards into 4 yards.... too easy. Decided I am in it for a trophy gobbler this year. Gotta have standards.

The only thing bad about being done the first day is that you still have the rest of the season and no tags (well I guess you boys up there in MT have bears to chase as well). Job well done and those are some good looking birds. I have been finishing up my home projects so I can start to get out myself.

Thanks guys. Lucky I went yesterday because this is what it looks like in Eastern MT today!!!

Attachments

• turkeys 2013 031.JPG
    turkeys 2013 031.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 302
If shot one of those two birds I would be smiling big, let alone two of them. Congrats. Jim.

Two good looking birds. Up here in NE Wa, we also have mixed flocks of Merriam's and Rio's, seem to intermingle a lot. Rio's are supposed to stay south of the Spokane River, but you can't tell wildlife where they are supposed to live.

You definitely hit the weather right. Up here in NE WA we also have mixed flocks of Merriam's and Rio's. The State says that the Rio's are supposed to stay south of the Spokane River, but we all know that we can't tell the wildlife where to live, they do their own thing. Congrats on the double.

Despite the nasty weather, I went out for MT's opener yesterday. On my fourth hike of the morning in the sleet and wind, I called in a reluctant but strutting 2 year old 20 lb tom to less than 20 yards and took him with my Grandfather's 1925 Winchester Model 12 (camo tape added). I notched and dressed the bird with his Old Timer sheath knife from the same era. The suspense of calling this bird in over 30 minutes was incredible! I am not a seasoned turkey caller, but the box call did the trick with a lot of patience. Home by noon. What a hunt!

Attachments

• P1020711_crop.jpg
    P1020711_crop.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 237
  • P1020705_crop.jpg
    P1020705_crop.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 237
Nice birds Jim. I'm still workin on one here. lottsa snow here too today. I can go back out friday and sat. Hopefully I can get it done then......BOB!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back