PEAX Equipment

Dos Equis XX Moose

Quite the back country repair. Good thing the rod didn't punch the block. Just hoping the piston remains high up in the cylinder, or did you get it out somehow? Hope you find the elusive moose. Great story and pics as usual.

Quite the back country repair. Good thing the rod didn't punch the block. Just hoping the piston remains high up in the cylinder, or did you get it out somehow? Hope you find the elusive moose. Great story and pics as usual.
He was able to push the piston high up in the cylinder. It stayed.

Grabbing my binos, I said "I going down, to check out this ridge below us". We had been riding for hours and it felt good to walk about. Everyone scrambles to do the same. The two boys are running ahead and I tell them to come back, walk with us slow, "you never know whats over there". It's raining lightly, nobody has rain gear on, because we have been in trucks all day. Standing there looking across grey cloud covered forest, I see a BULL! 400 yards, BIG BULL! I tell the kid "get our rifles and a scope" He was gone before I was done talking. All I could see where very big palms over the brush, and that moose could hear him moving toward the trucks. I was able to find a hump to stand on, so the boys could see. Big bull. It started to rain harder. Kid came back hot and sweaty. I took my rifle and a scapula. Told him that the bull is a shooter. It had not moved since first seen. The kid positioned himself against a nice spruce tree and I began to scrape. The bull was looking. This went on for a bit, with the bull staying put. Then the kid lets out a cow call, and the bull moves away, out of sight.

It's wet out. We make a plan and he moves toward the bulls last known spot. I got the boys, we are all getting rained on. Some time goes by. I tell the boys if we hear a shot, your dad has a moose. More waiting, then bang! I tell the boys follow me, we're going to find your dad. A second bang! The brush is tall, but I'm over most of it. The boys behind me are in a wet jungle over their heads. I come over the top of a hill and see two cow moose moving through trees and a big bull standing about forty yards from me. Everything slows way down. It's raining hard, he is looking away from me. My binos are fogged. I imagine when rain drops pound on my head with rain gear. Tap, Tap, Tap. I can't hear anything else. I believe raindrops upon moose antlers stifle their ability to hear also. I let out a low bull grunt. He swung and looked directly my way. With no doubt a shooter! One and done. He layed over where he stood. I spot my son roughly 80 yards to my left. He points down hill. I can see a bull down in a bedded position. I get the boys up on a dead spruce where they can see it also. After a few moments, we all walk to my moose and flag the spot, then we go down, to find the other, this one a little harder to locate.

Alaska_Moose.JPGAlaska Moose.JPG
Two bulls down!
Time to do some work!

Hiking up hill back to the camp site, we are all thoroughly soaked! Started getting camp set up, switched to dry clothes. Got a hot fire going in the wood stove. Wet clothes hung everywhere.
Camp.JPG

Then time to go collect some moose. It was pretty thick down where the bulls are. So one by one, loaded them up, and dropped in a better spot for feild dressing.
moose lift.JPGHauling Moose 1.JPGHauling Moose 2.JPGmoose_lift.JPGHauling Moose 3.JPGHauling Moose 4.JPG

Hauling Moose 5.JPG
Dos_moose.JPG
Dos moose.JPG

These bad boys are younger than last years behemith. Still quite a few pounds of steak & burger!

moose weight.JPGmoose_weight.JPG

Then the real work begins. First moose was hung in an old meat pole behind camp. The second we finnished at 1:30am and let it hang from the back of the truck.

Moose buggies.JPG

Back