Dos Equis XX Moose

grizz.JPG
Over five days, we spotted only one cow moose and eight bears. Only one moose! This grizzly was several hundred yards above camp. Seemed his hide would be a nice addition at our cabin. I hiked up and found a spot in the brush where I sat and had a clear shot.

Grizz 2.JPGAt 300 yards, first shot caused him to bolt straight up on hind feet, growling and biting his side, then barrel rolled hard over three times, out of the blueberry patch. I could just see ears, top of head in the brush. He moved into the open again, and I let another round fly. It sent him on a stumbling run further away. Brush is so thick, could not find him for a moment, then he stood high, facing me. Boom! That had him break dancing in circles, then gone.

After no further bear action, I backed down and away to cross a small creek and gain a ridge for hopefully a better view. Lots of bushes. Coming back down to the creek, I found a better game trail further down. These creeks have high brush. 50 feet out of the creek I hear a growl at my 5-O clock. Before the next heart beat, I spun around, safety off! Stayed there ten minutes, ready. The boys drove down and we drove around this brush. I was informed the bear should be up hill, last seen break dancing poorly. We drove a grid pattern then got out and walked the area. Searched for quite awhile. No bear found.

Those are a couple of seriously modified rigs. Do you even follow any type of trail or is it all off-road travel? Remember that huge 1600# bull from last year, wow!

After being socked in and seeing little action, decided to ride up to a high vantage point for a better view.
We all jumped in my kids truck. Engine would not turn. Again no go, third time, BANG! Whoa, I see oil dripping from the engine! He knew pretty quick, Hydrolock. The kid has been running his truck with no hood since built. It had been raining for three days, his truck leaning at an angle where water ran into the air intake. Hydrostatic lock = Since liquids are nearly incompressible the piston cannot complete its travel, either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur. Yep! Truck leaned in such a way that wind driven rain water flowed into #7 piston. That's where we found the snapped rod. Holes blown through both sides of the oil pan. This was a first!

Oil_pan hole.JPGOil pan hole.JPG

My son graduated from an automotive tech school. Between our Inreach & sat phone we had solid tech advice.

With the Diagnosis confirmed, I got back to hunting, he got to fixing. Busted rod.
Holes are hammered out, cleaned with gas, scratched then JB Welded.

Hydrolock Rod.JPG
Some work,
Hydrolock.JPGHydrolock Rod fix.JPGHydrolock_Rod fix.JPGHydrolock_Rod_fix.JPG
A lot more could be said here, but it's moose season and we got to get moving on.

I had been hiking about and scoping high and low. People have been talking about deep snows and hard winters on the animals. There was not much to find here. The Kids lower engine came apart and was reassembled, a couple of times, before it was right. With the removal of rockers & rods from cylinder #7, the engine sounded really good!

Time to move camp again! We headed closer to the road, but to another spot several miles away.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back