Dont worry about the student loan forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me why as a guy that has busted his ass his whole life without " student" debt that this is ok. Maybe I am missing something. mtmuley
Look, I didn’t ask for this, had planned to pay off all my loans, and have no answer to your loaded question. But I’d rather have this money go back to American individuals than elsewhere.

I don't necessarily support blank checks for loan forgiveness, but it's telling what gets peoples' knickers twisted.
Again, you are wrong.. It is not loan forgiveness it is debt transfer. Maybe if you thought of it like it really is you will understand it better. You do know how inflation and stuff works right???

Look, I didn’t ask for this, had planned to pay off all my loans, and have no answer to your loaded question. But I’d rather have this money go back to American individuals than elsewhere.
Why is my question loaded? You get your loan paid. Right? mtmuley

I anticipate this thread to get locked soon.I am 38, and still paying on my student loans. I was a poor student until my last three years (of 6! 😬) where I worked full time for the University at which I was attending so that I did not have to pay tuition. I am opposed to this and frankly don’t understand how an administration can have so much power.

Call it rewarding bad behavior. Call it buying votes. Call it a redistribution, giving the haves more and the have nots less.

I think all would be correct.

Remove the specialness of student loan quasi-immunity from discharge in bankruptcy, stop the predatory BS that is fed down the throats of seniors in high school, and let the market have its way with our universities which no longer provide a bang for the buck. Those would be far more permanent and equitable ways forward in my mind.

Last edited:
It goes back to the ones who should be paying for it while the rest of us get stuck with the bill... YOU CANNOT JUST ERASE DEBT

Your body, your choice... your loan, your choice. Pay it off slacker
Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. My student loans are long paid off. I was just pointing out that to get the degree I did, it costed me about 60k in loan debt. I was smart about it after grad and had it paid off in 5 years after. Didn't buy flashy stuff until afterwards and while still pumping max amount I can into retirement. I have a solid plan to retire by age 50 and that is made possible by the sacrifice I had to make by being in student loan debt.

I'm right with you on not being a fan of this just like you. Tell them lazy asses to work hard and pay that loan off by themselves.

Oh boy I sure have changed my mine now that you have patronized to me.
Glad I could help. But really, I can't understand why anyone is surprised that some people are pissed at this. It is true a lot of people just don't get that the loan is forgiven... the debt goes elsewhere. Well then I forget some people just don't really understand that is the case.

Glad I could help. But really, I can't understand why anyone is surprised that some people are pissed at this. It is true a lot of people just don't get that the loan is forgiven... the debt goes elsewhere. Well then I forget some people just don't really understand that is the case.
I think the same thing every time your type is completely silent about tax cuts to the people who would spit in your face if you dared question them.

And by the way, when I said I am not in favor of blank check loan forgiveness I was acknowledging that you, I, and a lot of other people are not 100% on board with this. But nuance isn't your strong point, is it?

I think a better alternative would have been to cap the amount of interest that can be applied to student loan. I think that would put those with loans in a much better position. The IDR and PSLF programs needs to be looked at. I don't think that and IDR program that can return the borrower to have a monthly required payment of $0 helps. As for the PSLF program it was a cluster from the get go. Those that take out the loans should be fully aware of what they are signing up for its not such a shock when they graduate. How that is achieved is a good question. The parent plus loan program could also use some looking at for restructure. They sure don't tell you when the interest starts adding to the total. I understand that is the responsibility of the borrower, but a little info up front may help individuals make different decisions.

Background: I have done construction my entire working career. The occupation is seeing a decline , doesn't seem to be the next generation. Meanwhile, we need a next generation to keep pace with all the careers that keep the U.S. on level ground with the rest of the developed nations.
This is why I support education.

But man, the workers of this country are taking it in the shorts, no doubt about it.

I think a better alternative would have been to cap the amount of interest that can be applied to student loan. I think that would put those with loans in a much better position. The IDR and PSLF programs needs to be looked at. I don't think that and IDR program that can return the borrower to have a monthly required payment of $0 helps. As for the PSLF program it was a cluster from the get go. Those that take out the loans should be fully aware of what they are signing up for its not such a shock when they graduate. How that is achieved is a good question. The parent plus loan program could also use some looking at for restructure. They sure don't tell you when the interest starts adding to the total. I understand that is the responsibility of the borrower, but a little info up front may help individuals make different decisions.
That won't gain votes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back