Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Don’t torch your spot

A guy in PA sent me a picture of the buck he killed the other day. Damn big 10 point.

I said “you kill that over by your place?”

He said, “no over at my brothers”

I said “well he’ll fire, that deer ran a long ways double lung’d!”

He asked what I meant.

I said “oh nothing”

He didn’t realize that he had his location services turned on on his photos and it showed me exactly what part of the game lands he killed the buck…..lol

Last edited:
I don't have to try to burn mine. Eastman's and the others happily do it for me.

Every year my group goes and get lucky with archery bucks and bulls I can count on it being featured as one of Idaho's top archery choice units. I shot a 4x4 whitetail that was almost 9 inches wide with 2 inch points and a 6x6 raghorn bull with 3 to 4 inch points one year. Everybody got similar. Lucky year. The next year, "TOP UNIT TO KILL BUCKS AND BULLS! Just look at the archery numbers!" and hundreds of hunters scouring the small unit come fall...

I've NEVER seen any of the big guys up there hunting. Not once! But they happily proclaim it for everyone to go about every 5 years.

I would agree with you for rifle hunting, however, 12 to 14 years ago the archery hunting in the gravellies was absolutely fantastic. Not so much anymore.
I like to say that 2014 was the end of the good old days there. That place is an elk ghost town now. And I just keep going back.

I don't get the obsession with pictures of what you shot, or what you ate, or most of the other stuff most folks seem to be obsessed with.

Smoking get's a pass, as that is an art, and doesn't harm the resource.

Just shoot your deer/elk/antelope, catch your trout, and STFU in time-honored tradition.

Loose lips sink ships.

there's even some long dead hunter gatherer that was ousted from his tribe for torching a primo mammoth spot with his cave wall stick drawing some 17,000 years ago.

then this jackweed shows up in western colorado and burns every lion and bear spot from glenwood to aspen

1667877870686.png

Last edited:
Calling the Gravellies an elk ghost town is funny.
The last year I hunted there me and my buddy were trying to get dried out by a fire during a blizzard. Boots off, socks off, raging inferno.

I heard a bugle across a meadow and thought “oh boy, more hunters”. In about the next sixty seconds we had a full on fire drill trying to find releases and boots as we had a legit 360-370 herd bull pushing his cows across the meadow with a 330 class satellite hot on his tail.

It was a comedy of errors that only left us with a sense of impotence and cold feet as we watched the herd bull cross 60 yards in front of us.

Actually, I do have a gym membership. Hardly hard-core. I think I've been twice in the last two years. It was closed down for more than a year due to COVID and I also had injuries or surgeries that kept me sidelined. Push-outs from the dining table have kept my weight where it should be. I've always been blessed with strong wheels and lungs and I know how to make them work ... probably because I keep making them work. Walk to the grocery store instead of drive, etc. Good genes helps too. Diet plays no role. I eat a lot of crap.

Twelve years ago at age 58 I passed my last US govt firefighting physical test shortly before retirement. It requires WALKING three miles in 45 minutes ... while wearing a 45 lb weighted vest. First time I showed up they wouldn't let me take the test without a doctor's okay. I walked it anyway without the vest (they couldn't stop me). No problem. Next time with a doctor's note and the vest on I blew by a bunch of rock climber kids the last quarter mile to the finish. One in that group failed to cross in time (very fit but her legs were very short). I don't have a weighted vest but can still walk three miles at the gym under 40 minutes. Did it a week before coming here.
I respect that you get out and cover ground. Many people have given up by the time they hit 50, let alone 60+.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you didn’t know, there are quite a few people, right or wrong, that scour the internet and try to figure out where others hunt. Then they actually go hunt there.

They do this with well known people like Randy, but they do it to anybody that is finding success. There’s just a certain number of people that will always take the easy way, and there’s a good number of people that are still quite ignorant to how effective digital scouting is.

Yesterday I saw a post on a page with over 100k followers of a guy posting the elk that him and his family killed. 5 bulls and a cow. He stated what mountain range he was in and then posted a couple scenery pics. This is an otc area of Montana.

I tried to politely warn him that his spot is going to get overran by people. He was dismissive of that, stating that nobody could figure it out because “there is thousands of acres.”

I found one spot half asleep with google earth on my phone last night and another in about 2 minutes on my computer this AM. I have no desire to hunt there, but you know dang well that there is a large contingent of dorks that can’t kill elk that are just looking for a freebee like this.

Think before posting

View attachment 248689 View attachment 248690

View attachment 248691
View attachment 248692
I have absolutely no intention of hunting wherever this is, I just want to confirm if it’s where I think it is…. So torch that one for us.. better yet, make a multiple choice poll for us to choose from 😂😂

It’s slide rock in the snowcrest in the Ruby. Gets piss pounded.
Not where I thought. Haha never been there. Funny, my neighbor said we should elk hunt this year because his people were on elk earlier in archery. Glad I never went..

That said, where DOESNT get piss pounded… 🙄

Where there are hardly any elk, and 9 days out of 10, even when you know the area like the back of your hand, you are not gonna see a single elk.

And .. you can’t glass from a vehicle - you have to walk a few miles before you get to start looking.

Weeds people out..
Great! Sounds just like my spot! 😂

Gettin tired of walkin way TF back there and seeing hours old track, sitting alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
day to not see an elk 😂😂😂

Core AF

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back