Don’t piss down my back...

thomas89

At least I’m not the guy looking for spots with his first post but here goes...

Spent the better part of yesterday and today sulking about my lackluster draw results (read: none). Having hunting antelope for the past 9 years as a resident and 1 trip as a non-resident, the thought of not hunting them this year really isn’t sitting right.

My question is just how much of a headache am I in for if I try to pick up some of these leftovers with limited access? Everyone can see the list, no unit is out of question, though I’m leaning more towards a set few. Part of the problem I think people are encountering is the loose lips factor...loose lips royally screw up draw odds. It is dismaying that I google these units and the info is out on the World Wide Web for everyone to see. Good from a help perspective but also tough to keep secrets anymore. I’m the type that spends hours researching so it’s not real difficult to take a bit of what Scotty P. told Jack D. and before you know it the whole puzzle is solved.

Anyways, my wife doesn’t want to hear about it anymore, my toddler just wants to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and I just need a confidence booster that I won’t be just taking a road trip to some of these leftover units. How schnitzeled am I going for one of these leftover units? How bad is the access REALLY?

Anyone in my same boat?

A lot of the bucks in this thread were on leftover tags. Options are admittedly more limited this season, but goes to show success can be had.

My first antelope was on a second chance tag in a unit with 16% public land. I had a great time and am now building antelope points in 3 states as a result.

Depends on what you are after, trophy or meat. If you are after trophy, my bet is that it is slim pickings on leftovers this year and in limited access areas. If you are after one of the doe licenses, my experience is that many of those are in limited access areas. Last year I got a leftover antelope type 8. This year there is none available where I hunt and I didn't draw deer at all. Now, in my experience, if you are running into access issues, if you go talk to the landowners and get them to understand you are not a road hunter and will not be riding across their property in ATVs, you will probably be able to gain some access but that takes effort and time. It took me two days to get permission to hunt antelope before I started doing archery on base exclusively. A resident has an advantage on gaining permission, but if you are willing to put in the effort, you should be able to find access wherever you want to go. Be prepared for a lot of denials before you find that landowner that is open to you hunting. Talk to the landowners with irrigated fields, you should find luck there.

Ideas:
-pay a tresspass fee
-take up a bow
-roll the dice on a unit with very few tags left, and make the best of limited access
-help out on someone else’s antelope hunt
-put in for a doe tag
-E-scout your tag to death, scout 2 days before opener, and score on the opening volley
-Take a camera to your most coveted antelope unit and capture some eye candy in photographs
-buy a OTC tag for a different species and make the best of it.

Yeah it is piss and not rain, but plan B is inevitable sometimes. such is life

My first antelope was on a second chance tag in a unit with 16% public land. I had a great time and am now building antelope points in 3 states as a result.
Where you from in Wisconsin? Grew up outside Milwaukee.

Ideas:
-pay a tresspass fee
-take up a bow
-roll the dice on a unit with very few tags left, and make the best of limited access
-help out on someone else’s antelope hunt
-put in for a doe tag
-E-scout your tag to death, scout 2 days before opener, and score on the opening volley
-Take a camera to your most coveted antelope unit and capture some eye candy in photographs
-buy a OTC tag for a different species and make the best of it.

Yeah it is piss and not rain, but plan B is inevitable sometimes. such is life

All good points. Working on multiple angles now. My plan A's are usually just the best and fail proof, I like to think so anyways. :LOL:

30 minutes northeast of Stevens Point. Bet you're glad to out of Milwaukee, I avoid that place at all costs haha

If my sister didn't work in Milwaukee I'd make a point to never go back. Also, the Brewers, but that's not really an issue this year.

Maybe a good time to mentor someone who is just starting out and has drawn their first tag.

Good idea, I had originally planned this year to try and get some military buddies out and hunting but the financial strain was a bit too much on them to justify tags this year. Can lead a horse to water ...

I'll end up trying to get some leftovers. Worst case Ontario, I've wasted more time doing dumber sh*t than wandering around the plains looking for antelope.

Back