Does This Sheep Make My Butt Look Big?

Day 10

Aug 16 / Day 10:

Greg decides we have hunted the drainage hard enough. We noticed other people moving through the drainage and he is ready to cut his losses on sheep and hunt caribou. We pack up camp, head down to the meat/horn cache and load up the packs heavy and head back to the airstrip.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Great tale so far, Beautiful animal, and can someone explain why dall sheep aren't broomed as often as others?

Day 11

Aug 17 / Day 11:

After staying up late last night visiting with some of the other sheephunters at the airstrip, I decided to sleep in the following morning. Greg, however was up and at it early. When I finally did get up, there was no Greg to be found. His gun and binos were gone, but everything else was still in camp, to include pack and water. About two hours go by when Greg comes walking into camp with a grin on his face. He had shot a caribou and apparently a dandy. We grab our camera gear and don our packs to head up to the "top of the mountain" where he shot him. Greg likes to do things the hard way and couldn't shoot his bou near the airstrip in the flats...noooo. But when I make it to the top of the mountain and see this fine specimen of a bou, who could blame him?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Photobomber

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Day 12 & 13

Aug 18 / Day 12:

We had requested a one day earlier pickup via sat. We spend the day socializing with our neighbors at the airstrip, cooking up mutton and bou over a fire, and sipping box wine before we turn back in for the night. The weather was too bad to get a ride out today.

Aug 19 / Day 13:

By 1030 our plane had arrived and we were telling our new friends goodbye. Little did we know we would see too of them again in Arctic Village as it was a shuttle day by the air carrier. This time the village people were a little more active and I was once again fearful for my life. Especially once confronted by a native tundra wookie on a Honda ATV slurping a slushy who asked me what I planned to do with my game meat. That's a rhetorical question isn't it I thought to myself. Actually, I didn't think much before I told her exactly what I planned to do with it, to which she responded..."I wish you people would stay off my land." She then puttered off into the setting sun never to be seen by me again.

Our new friends; a lifelong insurance salesman, grand-slammer and well...wealthy man, his grandson a freshman on the UAA basketball team and on the far right, a carpenter and Vietnam Vet with a fancy ride in the background.

picture.php

Greg and I with our trophies in Arctic Village.

picture.php

Final pic on the way back to Fairbanks of a wildfire along the Yukon River.

picture.php

Sheenjek!!

Wow Awesome hunt. Thanks for all the pictures. Made me remember why I am headed to school tomorrow.

As I expected, just makes me want to go back.

I don't think I can afford anther sheep. Ovis, just point me in the direction to find a caribou like that and I'll be happy. Not greedy at all....

Awesome photos. I hereby declare that within five years I will be living in Alaska with the hopes of going on hunts like you have just posted.

Sounds like a great trip. Loved the pictures and day by day. Congrats on a nice ram. Now I'm more excited than ever! 13 days and counting...

Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime, congrats on an awesome sheep.
Thanks for the write up too, really well done.

Awesome trip and story. Great Ram Ovis and beautiful Bou for your buddy. Congrats.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back