Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Does Camouflage Really Work

Wearing head to toe camo with a orange hat and vest is a bit of a headscratcher to me. Bowhunting is maybe a bit different.

With that said, Kuiu Vias has got to be about the worst camo pattern I've ever seen. Yea I'm sure it blends in on a rare occasion but damn near every single time I see a grip and grin pic with someone wearing it, it just sticks out terribly.

I have a complete set of almost every piece Sitka makes. The fit and function is superb, but does it work? I honestly don’t know how well their patterns work, but after seeing (or not seeing) my sons in the timber with their Kuiu gear, I am a believer in that pattern.

If I didn’t already have such a bunch of Sitka, I would have Kuiu...

View attachment 199225
Wow....that's impressive!

I think it helps break up our outline when hunting close as in archery when you 20 yrds from the game your hunting but do we need that for 100yrd plus shots I dont think so and does it matter if your gun or bow is camo heck no if a deer can see my bow back here at home we call that venison lol
Think of how many animals were harvested in wool rich black n red pattern or carhart tan yrs ago I need to look up how Fred Bear dressed and he harvested everything with recurves and long bows

Think about how many times you've stared right at a hill and not spotted an animal......until those 3 rocks started walking away. Camouflage doesn't have to be a fancy pattern.

This is just me but it might help more hunters mentally then it does visually.

If someone has camouflaged head to toe they might think they're blending in better and being more sneaky and having more confidence.

I can't tell you how many times I've been extremely close to wildlife on the ranch wearing a wide variety of colors.

If the wind is right and you move at the right time I don't think it matters much.

Most good hunting clothing can be had in camo. I can't imagine a situation where camo hurts your odds of success. So I buy it. Although I don't think of it as a necessity.
Caveat - I don't like wearing it when the ticks get bad.

Fashion rules; Solids before labor day?
You know I'm not the biggest camo fan. I will never forget the day you and I were elk hunting in the snow and you looked up and down at me and said "Is that what you are going to wear today?" and then proceeded to pull out your white camo coat from your pack for me to wear.

I have a complete set of almost every piece Sitka makes. The fit and function is superb, but does it work? I honestly don’t know how well their patterns work, but after seeing (or not seeing) my sons in the timber with their Kuiu gear, I am a believer in that pattern.

If I didn’t already have such a bunch of Sitka, I would have Kuiu...

View attachment 199225
I've said it before. One of the most successful bowhunters of all time, Chuck Adams, used to hunt in blue jeans, with a neutral colored stocking cap and hoodie. But, he stayed in the shadows and likely knew how to hunt and move.

You know I'm not the biggest camo fan. I will never forget the day you and I were elk hunting in the snow and you looked up and down at me and said "Is that what you are going to wear today?" and then proceeded to pull out your white camo coat from your pack for me to wear.
I do believe in snow camo. To Dakota79's point I feel like a ninja in good snow camo!

I've said it before. One of the most successful bowhunters of all time, Chuck Adams, used to hunt in blue jeans, with a neutral colored stocking cap and hoodie. But, he stayed in the shadows and likely knew how to hunt and move.

Attachments

• 8C4D2BA4-FBFF-4539-85E9-E3CF8426FF86.png
    8C4D2BA4-FBFF-4539-85E9-E3CF8426FF86.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back