dodge diesel

wa_archer

In the market for a new truck. Was considering the Dodge 1500 diesel. Anyone on here have one? just curious what they have thought of it? any issues how does it drive on and off road, etc. Thanks just trying to do as much research as possible.

My dad has a 15 eco diesel. He really likes it so far. I know some people that have the 2500s with the Cummins and they are having alot of egr issues with them. We pulled his 27 ft camper to CO with it in 2016. It weighs around 8k i think. The truck has plenty of pulling power but the wind pushed us around pretty bad. He considered going up to the 2500 after that to have a little more truck weight but is not sure now. We also took it to SC with no load and got 29 mpg. If he decides to go to the 2500 i may buy it. It's fun to drive. Crazy torque for a half ton.

Last edited:
A elk rack looks damn good in the back of one too

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-25-21-45-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-25-21-45-05.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 731
I spent 55K on a new 2016 Ran 2500.

Then I spent 3K 2 years later ridding it of the entire HORRIBLE emissions system that gave plagued me for the last 2 years and left me stranded multiple times.

I dont know if you can gut the exhaust system on those 1500 eco diesels but I would NEVER buy a new diesel if you lived in a state that had emissions inspections. Thankfully I do not.

I hear that they get good MPG but keep in mind your paying more per gallon for diesel as well as having to put DEF fluid in it.

Just as an fyi, ford will be releasing their powerstroke diesel in the f-150 this fall and GM will releasing theirs soon afterward so if you can wait it might be worth your while.

Agree with the recommendation to stay away from any new diesel ... unless it's one of these newer 4 cylinder diesel engines that GM & Ford are taking about releasing (about time). The new V8s/10s/12s have too much unnecessary junk & are way overpriced. The only dodge diesel I'd go near is the 12-valve Cummins. And they stopped making those 20 years ago I believe. And they're not easy to find anymore.

So far after the deletes I can say that I am very satisfied with the power my truck produces. Its like night and day. These trucks are really choked back with all of the emissions garbage.

I bought one new in Dec 2015. I like the truck, but my biggest complaint is at the time they came with 20" rims and 4 ply tires, guess how long those lasted before going on a FS road and getting a hole in them... When I had to get new tires they only had 4 or 10 ply, I went with 10. I lost 2-3mpg because of the extra weight and have heard the same complaint from others. I'm about due for new tires again and it sounds like there are some 6ply options so hoping to get some MPG back.

During the work week I drive hwy and city and average 21-22mpg. Best I've done is 26mpg hwy. I also have a topper on mine, but did not notice any mpg change from that, it probably effects it some.

I've got 77k miles on it and have not had any troubles with it yet.

One thing I might add is that the emissions stuff will get better. Think of when catalytic converters first hit the scene and all car enthusiasts were up in a roar. No one cuts there catalytic converts out anymore. The first few years of emissions equipped vehicles will have their issues but as the years go on they will get better. This is coming from a guy that drives a deleted 2008 duramax. By the way Mallardsx2 is not kidding when he says they come alive taking the emissions equipment off and my fuel mileage increased as well.

I've been eye'ing a 2017 ecodiesel. With that said i have been finding a ton of complaints online about he 14-15 having a lot of timing belt/ camshaft issues and some engine failures. I like the mpg and still having the power when have the boat on the back. I don't have emmisions in my current area but dont know how that would affect warranty. I have heard the same thing about taking emissions off. I currently have an ageing Dodge 5.7 hemi and it pains me as the majority of my driving, kids, around town, fs roads im lucky to get 13mpg. But I still want to power for the boat and occasional loads.

I have also been looking at the 5.3 Silv. which does good on fuel.

I would hold out but I don't like to buy any vehicle the for at least the first year they come out with something new. Seems like always takes a couple years to get the bugs worked out. Also, I seem to have the green light from the other half, so you know how it is get while the gettin's good.

I now ill be upgrading tires from stock on any truck I get so that's somewhat of a mute point. Diesel is a little bit more but with the better mpg still is the better deal.

I guess I am mainly worried about buying an engine that is going to be great for 20-40k and then be a pain in the arse with maintenance.

Thanks for the thoughts

as a diesel tech for over 30 yrs now,I rarely recommend a new diesel truck anymore!!! too much emission crap/def/scr/electronics/ect.have heard of valvetrain issues in the dodge eco-diesel.fords are also a computer nightmeer now also,,if you want a dodge,id look for a low milage 3rd gen,,{5.9 cummins,2004.5-2007}imo,not much for smog junk,,they are much better than the 4th gen and up dodges,,,{unless you got plenty of money to spend at the dealer for emission crap related repairs when they happen}gotta go clear back to 2002 and older ford with 7.3 if ya go with a ford.

I had a 1996 F250 7.3 King Cab, long bed for a work truck when I worked my first job out of college. I'm not much of a Ford person, but that was the best truck I ever had. I was an idiot for not buying it when it came up for sale. They sold it in 2003, right before I moved on to another job, with a little over 180K, brand new tires, brakes, etc for $6500! I still can't believe I let that thing slide. I'd probably still have been driving it.

I have a 2011 2500 6.7L Ram now. My wife drives it everyday and I've had it to New Mexico and Wyoming on a couple trips. I used to have lots of issues with the emissions stuff. I had it all deleted and a tuner installed. It was by far and away the best thing to do with it. Mileage improved (from about 13.5 mpg to near 20 mpg and I'm a lead foot), no more emissions issues. I have had a few electronic issues...most with the emission sensors before the delete. I did have to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor (over $600) a while back. You just got to remember, diesels are EXPENSIVE to get repaired. Factor that in to whatever you decide and good luck with whatever you decide. As for me, I plan on getting another new truck in another 3-4 years. It won't be a diesel...

We run Ram 3500s for our cattle business, and the one thing we have found with the new emissions stuff is to make sure you change the fuel filters regularly, and run around a 50/50 mix of #1 and #2 diesel when the temps drop to 10 and below. Working them like we do, we change the fuel filters at around 12,000 miles in the winter and 15-16,000 in the warmer months.
We haven't dabbled in deleting the emissions stuff or any other aftermarket ideas, for fear of voiding any warranties.

I have one. 40k on it. No problems yet. DEF is a once every 10k thing. Oil is expensive euro synthetics, although I think they recently changed the spec.

I get 21 in town with AT tires. 24 hwy.

I towed a 8k lbs camper into the mountains and got 15mpg. Not bad at all.

If you need a truck w good fuel economy, this is a good choice. But remember you pay 20-30% more for diesel nowadays so it doesn’t save much if any money.

I get similar mileage with the 3.6 gas (in a Durango). Towing capacity is about a ton less, and I bet it doesn't feel as torquey as the diesel, but a lot more affordable and does what I need it to do.

Thanks for all the input guys, I am starting to hear a similar tone to the other research I have done. In theory they sound like a great choice but maybe the new diesel isn't totally worth it.

I don't think the new ones are worth it..either find a old 12 valver 94 to early98,,or go 3rd gen 2003-2007--{that said,2004.5-2007 hpcr is the best option}imo,,,98-2002 are fair but have the problematic vp-44 inj pump.Ive got a sweet 2004.5 2500 with only 83k,,but its not for sale.you will be a lot better off I think,,also less $ than a new one for really a better truck.also the 48re is a better trans than the 68 in newer models,,if you can find a 6 speed stick,that could be even a better option imo.

I have a co-worker that has a 2015 1500 with the 3.0 L ecodiesel and loves it. He said he hasn't had any issues with the engine.

Back