Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do you use a shooting tripod?

ERSS

I've used shooting stick type set ups a few times, even made my own once with a couple of old arrow shafts, but have been looking into something sturdier.

Last season my wife had a couple of opportunities in about waist high sage on some good bulls, but couldn't get steady enough to be confident in the 250-300 yard shot, and held off.

With the tags we drew this year, chances are we are going to be in similar mid to tall sage a lot. One of these tripod type set ups would be great on coyote stands as well, see it on TV all the time :D

Anyone have good success with a particular brand/model?

Kinda leaning toward a Precision Rifle Solutions set up as a combo shooting / spotting tripod

I use the harris bipod and love it. However, for tall grass like you mention, you may consider the Bog Pod. My father in law used it in Africa (the tripod version) and said it worked great in the tall grass.

We have used the Bog Pod tripod with great success on the WY sage flats. The Primos trigger stick looks nice as it allows for quick and easy height adjustments by depressing the trigger. Seems they were heavier than the Bog Pod when I was in the market a few years ago.

I'm just going to use the tripod on my spotting scope. One less thing to have to carry. It's good from 14" to 50" tall and all I have to do to is swing the scope down and I have a nice V to rest the stock on, in between the brackets.

When it comes to bipods I have tried just about all of them. Harris with a pollock is about as good as they come for the price. With that said I am either in the saddle or hiking with a pack and gave up on the bipods that don't quick attach.

I now have been shooting all spring and summer with a Ultrec prone compact tripod. It has a height range something like 6-24" so it is well suited for prone or sitting. It also has a quick attach head that can be switched out with the push of a button. I have a pistol swivel grip attachment for my spotter as well as a LR padded saddle yoke. Used with a rear bag I have been very pleased with it. I haven't practiced with it much in the sitting position other than with a 22LR - it has worked very well.
In the prone position with a rear bag I probably got 3-400 rounds on it out to a 1000 yds shooting steel. Best I have found for the money spent.

Ive gone with the bog-pod tri-legged devil,,bought both heights,,,i use them with my spotter as a base {w adapter},and pop the shooting rest on for the shot,,that way they have 2 jobs for the weight that ya gotta pack.

I use Stoney Point shooting sticks,lt wt and quick to use. I also use a Eastmans hiking stick with a Y-yoke/w/camera adaptor on it for above kneeling/ sitting position.
Sometimes I have my spotter and Manfroto tripod to use
My pack on the ground is way faster than a Harris bipod,I took mine off 20 yrs ago to save wt and time.
My 1st reaction to seeing game is slowly kneel and get stable for a shot or glassing.

Not collapsible but these homemade sticks are awesome, just like shooting prone.
Probably less than $15

Cheers
Richard

Not collapsible but these homemade sticks are awesome, just like shooting prone.
Probably less than $15

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

I like those sticks! Any chance you could do a post on their design with a few close up pics?

To the OP i have used the stoney Point tripod in the past with the swinging arm for support under the rear of the rifle stock and it worked superbly in the field for standing shots.

Cheers

I have used the trigger sticks in the bi-pod, tall style with great success, and I bought the wife the tri-pod, tall style for her as she needed a little extra support. They also work great as a walking stick while not deployed for shooting.

I hope these pics will help you out, the only difference is where i place my cord, i measure the distance between the top 2 forks so my bipod or front stud fits in front and my rear stud behind the rear forks, if you understand me?
My poles are plastic coated mild steel poles, i tried using them to drag a deer once, it was a bad idea!

Cheers

Richard

That is a neat set up Richard, stable I'm sure, but wouldn't want to strap those to my pack.

I am looking at buying this, weighs in under 2 lbs and goes from 6 inches to 44 inches, also obviously would be able to switch out for the spotter as well.....

Attachments

• PSS spot.JPG
    PSS spot.JPG
    477.2 KB · Views: 2,150
If you carry a tripod already I would look at some of the saddle options to mount to it. The HOG and PIG saddles are pretty expensive but very secure. Precision Rifle Solutions makes a nice padded saddle for $50 that might be worth a look as well. Couple that with a rear bag or light set of shooting sticks and you'll have a solid setup

I've seen those green poles at Home Depot in the lawn and garden area. They are for staking up your plants. They should last a few seasons as long as you don't try to haul out a deer with them. They are quite cheap so if you break one it's no big deal. Plus they are tall enough to use as a walking stick when bundled together before you configure them to shoot from.
Good idea.

Last edited:
If you carry a tripod already I would look at some of the saddle options to mount to it. The HOG and PIG saddles are pretty expensive but very secure. Precision Rifle Solutions makes a nice padded saddle for $50 that might be worth a look as well. Couple that with a rear bag or light set of shooting sticks and you'll have a solid setup

PRS is the company I am looking at, the pic I posted is from their website. I could use a better tripod, so I think I will just go with the set up as pictured and order an extra quick release plate for the spotter.

Yes, I always carry them. I consider myself a decent rifle shot but sticks give even greater confidence in the shot!
Primos trigger sticks, they work great as a walking stick as well.

Back