Do you own a ranch?

It's not the same but it fits. Whenever I hear someone say there buying a cow for there freezer. I can't take it drives me crazy
People used to call me when they wanted to order half or quarter of a steer (some times they were heifers). "How much for a cow?" I don't know why but I felt the need to correct them and that just snowballed into something else.
I am so on board with this. I let my wife handle the livestock sales to the general public. I take care of shipping the calves.

I am so on board with this. I let my wife handle the livestock sales to the general public. I take care of shipping the calves.
I remember once getting a letter from a customer thanking me for raising only grass fed beef with no hormones and how she could tell the difference in that from grain fed. No idea where she got that. I implanted all of them and they were on full grain.
welp-ok.gif

Speaking of chickens, a former neighbor of mine tried to free range a bunchve chickens one summer. They were all, or mostly all, dead in a month, 40 or so. I think it was mainly the mink(s), but the foxes, coyotes, eagles, and owls surely contributed.

Im thinking of selling homing pigeon eggs for the agriculture tax write offs myself. Either that or young ones to some organic market - squab is a real delicacy!
I might be interested in trying some squab.

Speaking of chickens, a former neighbor of mine tried to free range a bunchve chickens one summer. They were all, or mostly all, dead in a month, 40 or so. I think it was mainly the mink(s), but the foxes, coyotes, eagles, and owls surely contributed.

Im thinking of selling homing pigeon eggs for the agriculture tax write offs myself. Either that or young ones to some organic market - squab is a real delicacy!
Homing pigeons are the way to go! I sold mine for the 3rd time on FB Marketplace just last week.

This thread cracks me up. SIL never mows her yard, her grass, or her lawn... She mows her "acre", and she says it with 'tude, so as to show it means something and you should be impressed and acknowledge it.

I always figured if you are zoned ag, it's a start, if your county has no zoning its an even better start.

It's a LAZY FARMER that cant get his wife that second job.

Paints all 12 fence posts around the place fluorescent orange and a no trespassing sign every other post even through the property is like 150 yards across in any direction.
Around here they put a garden shed on it and call it a "homestead".

I’m pretty fond of my family’s little patch of sagebrush. It does have a few elk, but we’ve never shot one there.

2E3FA13F-2399-424C-BF63-58E5E9A06439.jpeg

I own a share in I don't even know how many thousands of acres around here we like to jokingly call Hoosier National Forrest. My 20 acre compound borders it on 2 sides.

I do own no trespassing signs and I'm pretty serious about it on the parts I have full say so on. But I'm pretty serious about making full use of all the parts I have a share in as well.

My SIL (from Wyoming) years ago was comparing my parents 80 acres Michigan farm to ranches out west saying "ours wouldn't be considered a ranch". Her dad informed her that our little farm was running 40 head of momma angus and depending on which part of Wyoming, it might take 4000 acres to compare to what we were doing on 80. She got real quiet, real quick.
People can't wait to tell you how little they know.
NC takes 1 acres to sustain a cow. My dad has often told me it takes 50 in Texas to do the same. I haven’t researched the details but it seems similar to what you are saying.

In full disclosure, this is on a neighbors place, The house is less than 100 yards from the water tank
As a guy that actually has ownership in a working ranch, this thread is good for a few laughs.
Wait, are you implying that my 3 acres is laugh worthy? I'll let you know I get up 15 minutes early to move sprinklers, my tractor is always broken, and I have a "scrap" piles of wood, good wood, metal, sheet metal, and miscellaneous. And it never turns a profit. I'd say that checks all the boxes...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back