Do You Drink The Water?

Elkhunter posted some very interesting things about the dreaded beaver fever a couple years ago, maybe he could find it again.

In the articles the tainted water is about 2% of the total I think is what was told, it also stated that once you get it, you then have the little critters in you forever, probably why I don't seem to get sick.

I used to carry a filter for a long time, but don't any more with no ill side effects.
I am very careful where I get my water though. If you are in a heavy mountain region and use a little ingenuity, it is pretty easy to find clean water. But there are things to know and things to stay away from.... :)

I bought the safewater water bottle in 99. Last time I used it was in 02. I like it. Last year we had horses and I made them carry all the water I needed. This year I'm going to colorado with no horse and I'll be needing a new filter. I have used the same one since I bought it. I can't find their web site. I hope I can still get a filter for it. don

I've got one similar to Moose-mans but the guide mod.
filter.jpg

Getting the back-country chits is not on my top ten things to do, though I'll admit I didn't give it a whole lot of thought years ago. The tree planters we contracted back in my USFS days must have had iron constitutions...those kids (mainly Hispanic) would drink out of a cow track when they were thirsty.
I mean stagnant water you could see the mosquito larvae darting around in and they'd just plop down and git r' done! :eek: Would hate to hazard what their intestinal tracts looked like...

Noharley.... Me too, but I've never been able to AFFORD to have enough flown into a remote Alaskan hunting camp to last me the duration of the hunt... ;) ....

I have a Sweetwater Guardian, looks sort of like a grease gun with a lever type pump...Works pretty well as long as the filter is clean...Four of us used it in Alaska pumping water JUST downstream from a beaver dam and never got infected...

I've taken a chance a few times, when I found water literally coming right out of the ground up fairly high, in New Mexico, Alaska, and other places...I've been lucky, I guess...

NHY, LOL

Actually the best stuff in Colorado is brewed right here in Ft. Collins... Fat Tire and Bud. What else does a guy need! ;)

I have the same filter as SchMoosie. Packs nicely and seems to Git-R-Done w/ no problem.

I think having a resistance to giardi and other critters in the water has something to do with it. On hunts to the Yukon and B. C. I never drank filtered water. One guy that was in the B. C. camp said he had got it there the year before and would only drink filtered water. In high school I got the squirts from drinking milk direct from the bulk tank. The family I worked for drank the same milk and had no problem.

The beer idea is not 100% fool proof. I recall from my college days several bouts with the dreaded Blatz splats! But maybe that's where I developed a tollerance for giardia.

My dad and I take our own water. So we don't have to worry about bad water. We have fanny packs that we put small water bottels in, then we carry a few 5 gallon jugs in the truck so we have plenty of water.
Quick Draw

Bill....
Do you still think you could find that information you had a couple years ago about the water parasites in the waters out west?
I thought that was pretty insightful on how much water is really tainted...

I had saved it on my old puter, but had a big crash and lost a lot of stuff...That included... :)
All well....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back