Elk Water

Mountain Mule

There is a location I would like to hunt where I only know of one water source. The problem is, this water source gets hammered by elk and tastes like straight elk piss. I have tried to filter, boil, and even dig new holes a couple hundred yards down to aquire ground filtered water, but it still tastes like piss. This spot would be a brute to carry in enough water for it to actually mean something. Does anyone have a method for getting the elk taste out of a water source?

I think the water would be safe to drink after filtering or boiling, but I just cannot stomach it. Last year my hunting partner and I had to bail after a day and a half of drinking it and using it to rehydrate food. Any ideas?

I've been using a Katadyn pocket for at least 10 years and it's made some great tasting water from some scummy mud holes.
As others have mentioned, put a little powdered Gatorade in if its only the tastes that bothers you. A teaspoon is enough to make about a liter of "slightly lemony" water.
We always have a surplus of lemons that end up getting thrown out. I've sliced them, dehydrated, then ran through a food processor until its almost a powder. This is another option if you don't like that Gatorade taste (I'm not a Gatorade fan)
Screenshot_20230904_144220.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll order a new filter and I will also try digging a little upstream.

Edit: Any filters that someone would reccomend/have experience with?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll order a new filter and I will also try digging a little upstream.

Edit: Any filters that someone would reccomend/have experience with?
The katadyn ones are the only ones I know of with the internal charcoal filter on top of the normal filter that I have used. If that is your only water source I would go with the best you can. I believe there is a katadyn one that screws into the top of a Nalgene and had one packet of carbon for internal but it will fit two. It’s been a long while but I can’t remember.

Second vote on the katadyn. I always try and find running water above the wallows at the head end of the drainages. There’s gotta be an upstream source to the wallows.

Glad to see so many other Katadyn users.
I use the 3L base camp bag for bulk water in camp and the pocket for filling individual containers on the move.
The base camp bags are slow, but fill it in the morning and you'll have 3 liters of safe water by noon.

I've been using a Katadyn pocket for at least 10 years and it's made some great tasting water from some scummy mud holes.
As others have mentioned, put a little powdered Gatorade in if its only the tastes that bothers you. A teaspoon is enough to make about a liter of "slightly lemony" water.
We always have a surplus of lemons that end up getting thrown out. I've sliced them, dehydrated, then ran through a food processor until its almost a powder. This is another option if you don't like that Gatorade taste (I'm not a Gatorade fan)
View attachment 290761
Good to know!

Back