Caribou Gear

Do you carry a pistol for bear when elk hunting???

I'm not saying close shots aren't possible with a rifle, but what are you more likely to have ready if you're walking through the brush and bump into a bear? The pistol on your chest, or the rifle slung over your shoulder?
Actually, I have bumped into a lot of bears in my time. I'm sure I can get my 06 off my shoulder and into action just as fast as you can dig out a big pistol from a chest harness. So what do you do? Throw down the gun slung on your shoulder to go for the pistol on your chest? Can't handle them both. Chest harness anything sucks for mountain hunting. I need ventilation. Bad enough that I have to wear a backpack. But that is GENUINE indespensible survival gear.

Kodiak is not what I would consider open country and I've hunted there 4 times in addition to the bear hunts and none of those guides carried pistols either. Just sharing what has been my experiences in bear country.
I didn't carry a pistol there either, and walking bear trails through the alders is quite an experience on kodiak. Had my 7 RM on that hunt, bumped a couple brown bears never wished I had a pistol.

I killed a deer in a tight draw in the alders, right after I shot it, a Brown bear stood up about 200 yards uphill of the dead deer. The bear walked out of the draw, but I kept my buddy on guard with his .270 while I broke that deer down. I wouldn't have felt very secure if he would have had just a handgun.

He used that same .270 to stop a grizzly several years later that was about to kill his friend while on a sheep hunt. Without the rifle, his buddy John would be dead and a pistol would have been 100% useless in that situation.

I am, because you're a rookie and I'm not.

If I'm walking through brush in bear country, two things aren't happening:

1. My rifle isn't on my shoulder, slung, that's a total rookie move.
2. My rifle is loaded. Having an unloaded rifle in that situation is a total rookie move.

The third thing, is that I keep my cool when the chips are down, seen it.

I'd also be more worried about you shooting me with your John Wayne bad-assery than being bit by the bear. I choose my hunting partners wisely.

I'm very cautious about who I hunt with when it comes to carrying handguns. I've had friends invite out of state guys along on hunts in Montana that were terrified of bears, cats, the dark etc. They were constantly jumpy and wanting to pull their pistols out and point them at sounds and moving brush. After one elk calling session I walked up to where I had left the shooters to see one of them pointing their pistol at me with their finger on the trigger. People like that are way more scary and dangerous than any wild animal in the woods. I refuse to hunt with guys like that anymore if they feel the need to have a handgun on them.

Reminds me of this case that happened not too far from me. The initial interviews and articles sure made it sound like no or little fault on the hunters. If you read the second reuters article, after the autopsy had been done the young man was actually not killed by the bear that he had wounded, but by getting shot by his hunting partner. During an attack there is a lot going on and I definitely do not trust anyone to be shooting at the bear that is inches from me. I'd much rather get a face full of pepper than an round through the chest.

I know my way around a pistol, but don't shoot them often. I would say, barely proficient, maybe up to proficient when I shot them more.

Used to pop the heads off grouse with a .22 magnum single six all the time. Was pretty good with a double action stainless 4" Smith .22 which I used on my trap line. Shot that pistol a lot. Killed a lion with it, a coyote further than anyone would believe, and a bunch of furbearers in traps.

Shot the .41 fair, but never have killed anything but a handful of prairie dogs and rabbits with it, a long time ago. Molded a few thousand Keith Grade hard cast for it, they shoot really well with 2400.
So is it fair to say you're more confident with a rifle because you haven't spent the time to become proficient with a handgun?

Most bear attacks are surprises. I'm confident with my rifle, but for something up close and personal I do not see a 9lb rifle with a 26" barrel being the best option for me or almost anyone for that matter. There's no safety on my 10mm, not a lever safety, or grip safety. It's a grab and shoot gun. Most bear attacks are complete surprises. Think back to the one Steve Rinella and crew had and have talked about on his podcast a few times.

They were sitting there eating lunch, and all of a sudden there was a grizzly on top of them. (I opted for a chest holster, because even if I take my pack and bino harness off, the pistol is still there.) The one guy from the meateater crew even had a pistol but instinctively just hit the bear with his trekking pole.

I'm not discounting the effectiveness of a rifle on a bear. Trust me. Given the option I'd shoot a bear with my 338. But it's not realistic is most situations.

Actually, I have bumped into a lot of bears in my time. I'm sure I can get my 06 off my shoulder and into action just as fast as you can dig out a big pistol from a chest harness. So what do you do? Throw down the gun slung on your shoulder to go for the pistol on your chest? Can't handle them both. Chest harness anything sucks for mountain hunting. I need ventilation. Bad enough that I have to wear a backpack. But that is GENUINE indespensible survival gear.
No need to dig it out, it's right there on my chest. It's easier to get to than my binos are. Also, rifle would stay wherever it's at. Whether it's slung over my shoulder or on my pack. No need to move it.

So is it fair to say you're more confident with a rifle because you haven't spent the time to become proficient with a handgun?

Most bear attacks are surprises. I'm confident with my rifle, but for something up close and personal I do not see a 9lb rifle with a 26" barrel being the best option for me or almost anyone for that matter. There's no safety on my 10mm, not a lever safety, or grip safety. It's a grab and shoot gun. Most bear attacks are complete surprises. Think back to the one Steve Rinella and crew had and have talked about on his podcast a few times.

They were sitting there eating lunch, and all of a sudden there was a grizzly on top of them. (I opted for a chest holster, because even if I take my pack and bino harness off, the pistol is still there.) The one guy from the meateater crew even had a pistol but instinctively just hit the bear with his trekking pole.

I'm not discounting the effectiveness of a rifle on a bear. Trust me. Given the option I'd shoot a bear with my 338. But it's not realistic is most situations.
I don't hunt with 9lb rifles or a rifle with a 26" barrel. Also don't have the hubble space telescope hooked to the top of it either. Usually carry my rifles with the scopes on 3 or 4 power, maybe 6 if pronghorn hunting.

Light, done right, with a 20-22 inch tube is where its at. I've put a lot of thought into the rifles I carry...handling, accuracy, weight, etc.

I'm more confident with a rifle because they're more accurate, create better wound channels, break bones much better, and have a lot higher probability of stopping a bear than any pistol.

Please tell me more about the effectiveness of the 06 Springfield. I haven't heard much about that one before. :rolleyes:

Does your shooting not get sloppier the faster you have to shoot the ole springfield?

Is everyone carrying a round in the chamber of their rifles and walking around like Elmer Fudd?
Yep, pretty much always. Wouldn't have shot this once in a lifetime pheasant triple last fall if my gun had an empty chamber.
20221106_164058.jpg
I don't know anyone who hunts uplands with an empty chamber. Anyone who thinks he's going to hunt Cape buffalo with an empty chamber will probably be left at the airport in short order. I shot this one on the run at sixty yards ... with a gun that was fully loaded.
Buffalo2.JPG
Hunting guns have safeties for a reason: to ensure the gun is safe with a round in the chamber. It's there, why not use it?

You didn’t just talk the bears to death?
Yeah, another good idea IS to talk while hiking (if not hunting) while at work, packing quarters, fishing, etc. About 99% of the time, if a bear knows you're around (let them see, hear, or smell you), there's no need for a pistol, rifle, or bear spray.

Like I said, paying attention, using your head, and not being a clueless drone with a pistol is your best route.

Sorry to have started all the flaming posts.

I will take all three, rifle, pistol and bear spray. Just to be safe. I carried a pistol every day for work for 31 years. I dont mind carrying a pistol just in case I set my rifle down and walk away from it, like hopefully when I am quartering my first elk. I usually just forget about the weight of a pistol after carry one so long daily. I even got a can of bear spray today and I bought some solid core rounds for my Glock. Still just excited to be going elk hunting for the first time in 82 days.

Last edited:
If rifle hunting, I carry spray on my pack belt and that's what I'm going to use. Personally I think the main thing is to have a plan and stick to it. You don't want to be waffling between rifle/sidearm/spray in that situation.
That's one of the best answers on here, being in Law Enforcement I am used to a pistol. I carry every day and practice a ton. I am proficient with my side arm. If you EDC then the weight is not an issue no matter how far in you're hiking. Spray is nice and works well. I carry a pistol so I am covered in the woods as well as the gas station parking lot on the way home.

Yeah, another good idea IS to talk while hiking (if not hunting) while at work, packing quarters, fishing, etc. About 99% of the time, if a bear knows you're around (let them see, hear, or smell you), there's no need for a pistol, rifle, or bear spray.

Like I said, paying attention, using your head, and not being a clueless drone with a pistol is your best route.
Those photos you posted earlier in open country with grizzlies at 25 yards away were interesting. Did they not hear or see you? Or were you wanting them to get that close? Honest question

Pay attention. We are all discounting the relative ineffectiveness of a handgun in this situation. Spray and pray multiple rounds with a handgun does not outweigh a dozen other advantages of simply putting the hunting rifle at hand to work and stopping the bear with one or maybe two of its bone crushing rounds.

So your rifle stays perched on your shoulder while you're quick drawing down on a charging grizzly? Or does it slip down and pull your shooting arm off target leaving an already angry bear with a toe shot off? I know about this. I've been fighting to keep my rifle slung on my shoulder for more than a half century.

Your field inexperience keeps digging the hole deeper. We're talking backhoe depth. Get off YouTube and start listening to some folks who've actually been there and done it.

Yep, pretty much always. Wouldn't have shot this once in a lifetime pheasant triple last fall if my gun had an empty chamber.
View attachment 286115
I don't know anyone who hunts uplands with an empty chamber. Anyone who thinks he's going to hunt Cape buffalo with an empty chamber will probably be left at the airport in short order. I shot this one on the run at sixty yards ... with a gun that was fully loaded.
View attachment 286119
Hunting guns have safeties for a reason: to ensure the gun is safe with a round in the chamber. It's there, why not use it?
I figured it was a given that everyone carries a loaded gun for upland hunting. It's bird hunting. Quite a bit different than elk hunting. Also, obviously with dangerous game you keep one loaded. I guess I wasn't super clear, but the post is about elk hunting so I'm relating to elk hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back