Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do you carry a pistol for bear when elk hunting???

Pay attention. We are all discounting the relative ineffectiveness of a handgun in this situation. Spray and pray multiple rounds with a handgun does not outweigh a dozen other advantages of simply putting the hunting rifle at hand to work and stopping the bear with one or maybe two of its bone crushing rounds.

So your rifle stays perched on your shoulder while you're quick drawing down on a charging grizzly? Or does it slip down and pull your shooting arm off target leaving an already angry bear with a toe shot off? I know about this. I've been fighting to keep my rifle slung on my shoulder for more than a half century.

Your field inexperience keeps digging the hole deeper. We're talking backhoe depth. Get off YouTube and start listening to some folks who've actually been there and done it.
Yeah, my rifle would stay on my shoulder or pack, because there's no way I'm drawing the rifle fast enough to shoot it. How well does your scoped rifle do when it's dark out and you have seconds to shoot?

Can you not read either? My field experience with quickly shooting a charging bear is greater than most. Stick in your lane of expertise and focus on the '06 springfield and cape buffalo.

Take the guy that shits the most when he runs away screaming. That might slow down the bear slipping in the shit.
I tend to shit before getting started for the day, so depending on the time of day I may or may not be a good option if this is the objective!

I figured it was a given that everyone carries a loaded gun for upland hunting. It's bird hunting. Quite a bit different than elk hunting. Also, obviously with dangerous game you keep one loaded. I guess I wasn't super clear, but the post is about elk hunting so I'm relating to elk hunting.
Any reason I should carry a loaded chamber hunting birds but an unloaded rifle when elk hunting, especially elk hunting ingrizzly country? Both scenarios are equally dangerous. In fact, I would say in close range mishap situations (e.g. slip and fall), a shotgun has the potential to be MUCH more dangerous.

Yeah, my rifle would stay on my shoulder or pack, because there's no way I'm drawing the rifle fast enough to shoot it. How well does your scoped rifle do when it's dark out and you have seconds to shoot?

Can you not read either? My field experience with quickly shooting a charging bear is greater than most. Stick in your lane of expertise and focus on the '06 springfield and cape buffalo.
In the dark my scoped rifle will do just as well as a handgun with iron sights ... poorly on both counts. Point and shoot and hope for the best. Actually, the last elk I killed was a wounded raghorn in the dark that was indeed intent on killing me. Dropped it dead incoming a few yards away with a neck shot. So dark I had to track it with a flashlight. So there ... I do have some experience in this field. Ah ... almost forgot the wounded bull moose back in '96 that also came for me. Just about as close and I shot him in the head, with the same 3x scope on the same 30-06. That one was a bit hairyer as I had to kill it with the last round I had with me. In the head because there would be no followup shot. Only followup option would be to use the Springfield as a club. That was a daylight adventure. Yeah, I have some experience shutting down charging animals. A lot more than you.

In the dark my scoped rifle will do just as well as a handgun with iron sights ... poorly on both counts. Point and shoot and hope for the best. Actually, the last elk I killed was a wounded raghorn in the dark that was indeed intent on killing me. Dropped it dead incoming a few yards away with a neck shot. So dark I had to track it with a flashlight. So there ... I do have some experience in this field. Ah ... almost forgot the wounded bull moose back in '96 that also came for me. Just about as close and I shot him in the head, with the same 3x scope on the same 30-06. That one was a bit hairyer as I had to kill it with the last round I had with me. In the head because there would be no followup shot. Only followup option would be to use the Springfield as a club. That was a daylight adventure. Yeah, I have some experience shutting down charging animals. A lot more than you.
So, you had 1 round left, the moose was charging you, and you went for a headshot??? Come on... You're saying my "lack of experience" is showing, but your intelligence (stupidity) is shining brightly.

Oh buzz. Haven't spoken in awhile. Hope all is well up there on your high horse.

When being attacked, you have seconds. I'd rather maneuver a pistol than a rifle with a 26" barrel and a scope for a quick shot. I figure you'd realize that self defense scenarios usually happen in split seconds. You'd be lucky to get 1 shot off with a rifle at a charging bear.

I can't believe you think a hunting rifle is better for bear defense than a pistol...

Think of a scenario... You're walking through the brush. Rifle slung over your shoulder. Not carrying one in the tube because that's not a great idea. I'm walking next to you with a pistol in a chest harness. Loaded and ready to go. It's in a tension lock holster so it's safe to carry loaded. A bear comes busting out of the brush 20 yards in front of us. Who's more likely to put ANY rounds into the bear?
Good luck winning this argument I'm just tuning in here and have not read past here but I think I know what's coming

When hunting in grizzly areas I always carry spray. When archery hunting or hiking in these areas I will also occasionally carry a 10mm with me as well. When rifle hunting in these areas, I would never carry the handgun along with a rifle. If I am along with someone else but not carrying a rifle I will sometimes carry the 10mm. Much of it is situational and dependent on cover, terrain, if i'll be sleeping on the mountain and likelihood of running into a bear. Never been in the scenario where I would carry all three.

When rifle hunting I don't carry a handgun as I'm not proficient enough with it to offset the danger I'd be to my hunting partners under the stress and chaos of an attack. I might if bow hunting in griz country as backup to spray. I say carry what you are most proficient with and accurate with under stress. Not every one is a John Wayne even though some like to think they are.

So, you had 1 round left, the moose was charging you, and you went for a headshot??? Come on... You're saying my "lack of experience" is showing, but your intelligence (stupidity) is shining brightly.
I'm the stupid one? Really? Of course I'll go for a headshot. He was down and I was closing the distance, mostly because his butt was towards me and I only had one round left. He jumped up and turned to come for me, blood in his eye. He was literally only a few steps away when I shot him. His head was down (gee, I wonder why?) and he meant business clearly. Head was the immediate target and best one. At that range it's a pretty good sized target too. So I should go for a body shot and let him pile into me? This is a moose we're talking about. Ever seen one up close?

You sound to me like either some silly pot-stirring troll or a kid still wet behind the ears or a couch potato wannabe who watches too many YouTube videos ... or all of above.

The good news on this topic is its your choice rifle or handgun and your choice alone, and the consequences are yours alone as well. Dont think I would drop a loaded 300 in favor of any handgun. But its good to have an option when the 300 is empty.

I always have my pistol on me ALWAYS. Not to protect myself hell probably couldn't hit anything with it anyway much rather have my hunting rifle even in close quarters. It's all about the sex appeal and as a red blooded American sometimes you gotta send one or two skyward like Yosemite Sam in the name of freedom.shooting-a-gun-duke-cody.gif

How this thread should have gone:

OP: Do you carry a sidearm why hunting?

Commenter 1: Yes. I prefer a 44 Magnum.

Commenter 2: Yes, but I prefer the 10mm.

Commenter 3: Based on my experiences and comfort with my rifle, I choose not to carry a sidearm.

Commenter 1: That’s fantastic, friend. I respect your personal choice even though it is not the one I have made for myself.

Commenter 3: Thank you, friend. Your choice is likewise valid and I am sure is informed by your own personal experience.

[And SCENE].

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back