Do People Eat Mt Lions? - CPW Response

I agree, and if I ever kill one, it will be eaten.

One step that should be taken by State Wildlife Agencies is to make it law. Just as there are wanton waste laws in most states for hooved creatures, there should be for predatory game also.

Unfortunately I do know at least one Hunt Talk Forum member who “hunts” bears in Wyoming, and trashes the meat because the state does not require consumption of the meat.

I don’t like more laws in general, but this would help public relations and optics of lion and bear hunting as a whole.

I thought all mine was gone until last Sunday, and I found one chunk of backstrap I had squirreled away. Unnecessarily wrapped it in bacon with a rub underneath and smoked it at 225. Over 2yo, and still awesome, tastes just like pork tenderloin....
View attachment 147878

I have a bear backstrap squirreled away, I was going to save it to eat with some non-hunter friends. With covid it seems like that dinner is less and less likely, and I sure do love bear.

You guys got me looking at my cat like
giphy.gif

My first try at mountain lion was when CPW in Denver held a bbq and I just happened to show up and was invited to the back where it was and tried it. Year after, I shot one on a ranch by Meeker where a landowner loaned me a horse and paid me $500.00 at the time to hunt one down that was preying on his cattle. I still have permissions to hunt that ranch if I ever go back to Colorado for hunting. Lion is really good with kind of a porky taste IMO.

Q: "How much of the mountain lion is used for food?"

A: "Tons."

Yeah, that was a softball and they could have hit it out of the park with a simple, “All of it.”

Mountain lion sliders are honestly just as good if not better than a Chick-fil-A sandwich.

Lion is great. This year i canned several jars of it while i was canning bear, turned out awesome. Ill do more next cat i get. Hopefully this winter.probably not even going to hunt deer in my home state this year, just get an earlier start on/ spend more time calling lions. Last december i got called one in during archery only deer season. Couple guys were deer hunting maybe a mile away, probably thought the rifle shots was somebody poaching deer.

I'd gladly swap someone lion back strap for elk every year.

Gerald, what are your thoughts on electronic calls... in my experience they won't make a lick of difference.
Relatively few lions are killed each year without dogs. The amount of those killed by calling is a small percentage of that small percentage. It won’t make any statistical difference.

Doubt I ever get a chance to try mountain lion but these threads make me want to take the next bobcat I get a chance at.

Ive never killed a bobcat, but i asked my taxidermist his opinion on eating them, since i know he loves lion meat. He said hes tried to eat several bobcats and they just arent worth a shit. Im inclined to take his word on it. I did just get my trapping license this year, so maybe ill give bobcat a try, just for the hell of it. Figure i can always spit it out if its that bad.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back