MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Do People Eat Mt Lions? - CPW Response

AvidIndoorsman

Colorado Parks and Wildlife meetings long and you have to sit through a lot to get to some of the best moments.

Great clip here, a member of the public calls lion hunting "trophy hunting" during a question. The commission (Tutchton) asks for a clarification the commenter says it's because people don't eat predators.

Commissioner Betsy Blecha jumps in, refutes the idea, and says she's eaten lion.
( Watch Commissioner Adams face, I wish her mute button wasn't on!)

Thanks @Oak for posting this video originally

I saw this live and thought for the most part that the other commissioners and staff whiffed on the reply.

Live was everyone un-muted or was it as shown?

I would agree it wasn't the most cogent response, but I loved the resounding yes hunters eat lion from all those on screen.

I have eaten mountain lion and bobcat. I didn’t care for the taste of the bobcat but I don’t know how the meat had been cared for. I liked the flavor of the mountain lion. I will admit that it was tough.

I'd gladly swap someone lion back strap for elk every year.

Gerald, what are your thoughts on electronic calls... in my experience they won't make a lick of difference.
I like lion loin just as well as deer. I’m far from a lion hunting expert but I’ve accidentally called one in with a Foxpro before. I don’t think electronic or not would make a difference at all.

One of my friend's Dad got a lion one year and he brought some backstrap steaks on one of our camping/drinking trips. Like any game meat we'd bring, we'd fry it in a pan on the fire doused in whisky. Anything we cooked that way always seemed like the best meal we'd ever had, but I remember the lion in particular being awesome. One of these years I'll get one, but as of yet I've only laid eyes on one and it was out of season.

Back