Do People Eat Mt Lions? - CPW Response

Ive never killed a bobcat, but i asked my taxidermist his opinion on eating them, since i know he loves lion meat. He said hes tried to eat several bobcats and they just arent worth a shit. Im inclined to take his word on it. I did just get my trapping license this year, so maybe ill give bobcat a try, just for the hell of it. Figure i can always spit it out if its that bad.
Bobcat tastes like ,nevermind. Bobcat,racoon,possum are poor table fare in my opine.

I'm not a fan of Ms Mahuna...she needs a swift kick in the balls. Her tone is wrong and she postures from a position of assumed superiority just because she is willing to cast doubt on people whom she has never met about a craft she does not know. She is disingenuous and dubious at best.

I am not a fan of bear, but many are. The good cuts of lion are very good meat.
It's funny about bear. The first two times I tried it, another hunter had taken and prepared it and in both instances it tasted like freezer burned and half rotten beef. The first black bear I killed changed all of that for me and since I have taken many bears and never had a bad cut of meat. I believe that after-the-shot care is where the difference is made between tasty and bad.

Not only are our bears delicious in Arkansas the rendered fat makes fabulous cooking oil. Meat care after the kill is important.

wllm1313, so with the Sous Vide are you saying that you can kill trichinosis at a lower temperature if you cook it for a long enough time? I'd love to try MR bear steak. What temp are you calling medium rare? I have always lived by the minimum 160 temp for anything that could carry trich.

Have you tried bear in a crockpot treated just like your favorite beef roast?
Possibly the best wild game I have ever had.
I have tried several bears, from spring and fall, spot and stalk in no bait areas or living off of our bait barrels. They were all edible, but not my favorite.

I hear a lot about crockpotting (which I have tried once and though was ok but very greasy) and chilli (which I haven't). Maybe I need to give them another shot.

I've heard 160 is the temp to kill trich. Is that true? That's why I make bears in ways that can be cooked well done yet still juicy. Bear burgundy or osso bucco is to die for. Bear biscuits and gravy is amazing too.

Hank Shaw posted a pretty decent and well-researched synthesis of trich and wild game cooking (updated just a few weeks ago)

I hear a lot about crockpotting (which I have tried once and though was ok but very greasy) and chilli (which I haven't). Maybe I need to give them another shot.
I would brown the meat before putting it in the crock pot. That'll help cook off some of the grease, plus it gives it a better flavor.

Not only are our bears delicious in Arkansas the rendered fat makes fabulous cooking oil. Meat care after the kill is important.

wllm1313, so with the Sous Vide are you saying that you can kill trichinosis at a lower temperature if you cook it for a long enough time? I'd love to try MR bear steak. What temp are you calling medium rare? I have always lived by the minimum 160 temp for anything that could carry trich.

Yes exactly, Hank Shaw as posted by @Hunting Wife goes into a lot of detail.

Bottom line it's time + temp that kills stuff. The 165 is the temp that trich is killed instantly, but it will die at much lower temps given time. I've done sear - 138 for 8-10 hours then another sear out of the bag a couple of times with great results.

Hank Shaw posted a pretty decent and well-researched synthesis of trich and wild game cooking (updated just a few weeks ago)

I don't brown before putting in the crock pot, but I strain it for several minutes after it's thoroughly cooked, prior to adding additional ingredients. Works great for chili, tacos, etc.

I have eaten mountain lion chorizo and it was excellent. I always have a cat tag in my pocket when i am out in Nevada just in case and would for sure take the meat home. That article on trichinosis was pretty good. informative, thanks.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back